Wordpress registration for comments?
    I've not used the platform extensively, but a new site will have it as a core content feature.

I'm wondering how many of you require visitors to register to leave comments and how many simply leave it open and then moderate the comment posts manually?

I'm thinking requiring registration will reduce the number of comments but help control spammers. (I've installed askimet)
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I just moderate 'em. I know *I* wouldn't register with a blog just to comment on a post, unless I was really SUPER interested (or steamed up)! That doesn't happen very often.

Akismet takes care of 99.99% of the spam I get, anyway. If it's letting spam through on you, just keep reporting the junk as spam and Akismet should adapt.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

One of my online blogging friends (with a Wordpress blog) requires visitors to register & log in every time in order to read the "real updates" (this takes care of the logging in to comment as well) frankly, it's a bit of a hassle. I don't read this blog as often as the ones I like that don't require a log in but I've "known" this blogger for years so I did register.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I don't comment on blogs that require me to register. I have enough accounts on enough sites. You'll be fine with Askimet.

Thanks everyone, I sort of had the gut feeling to leave comments open but wanted to hear from some blogperts for reassurance.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Askimet sometimes do end up putting good comment in Spam list, and its very hard to find them in long list of spam. That's why I use Math Comment Spam Plugin, if you don't know about it, then do a search on Google.

I don't require registration for comments on my sites because, like others have said, most people will just leave if you don't make it easy. I'm that way myself. If I have to register, unless it's important that I comment, I'm gone.

Leaving it open with akismet doing the trapping is a little extra work, but it's worth it.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Most people just don't even comment. For every 200 spam comments you get about one real comment unless you post about something people are really interested in.
    Once I enabled Askimet I haven't had to moderate any more comments.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread