Making Money With A Joke Site
    Is there a way to make money with a joke site? I currently have a few banners which display the deals e-mail to me from affiliate programs. I also have adsense ads but neither are not making a dime.

What can I do to increase traffic or make money from the traffic I now have?
    Currently getting about 20 uniques visits a day.

I add jokes a few times a week
    Have the pages SEOed to the best of my ability
    No out going links on the root.

Not that it matters but the jokes are pretty much clean and I use no popups.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Doug
    Thanks,
    Doug

I doubt it. People will come to your website to read jokes, not to buy things.

I used to think you could create a site about just about anything and make money, and proceeded to do so (or tried to rather). But a year later and over 10 sites later, I haven't been able to make it work - save one site that's emerged from the rest and is making about a grand a month and growing.

I think you need a site topic for which their are products that match the topic, meaning if you're writing an article about how to build a web site then you'll need to advertise tools that help readers build a website. Or if you know a lot about bicycling, then you'll need to find products that help people improve their biking experience, etc.

You might be able to find some related products on Amazon for your joke site, like the juggling ball kit I just bought that came with a book on how to juggle. Or maybe some magic trick books, or those cool t-shirts that have jokes for logos on them.

But anything you put in your sidebar margins will have much lower click through and even lower conversions than something you can discuss inline with your article (back to products that match your article).

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    If you increase your traffic drastically you can make money with CPM ads.

That would have to be a VERY drastic increase.

Even if he was able to get a 1,000 visitors a day (quite a jump from the 20 he's getting right now), he'd only make a few pennies on CPM ads (at least that's been my experience after 3 months of traffic at about that level).

Get specific and then work the SEO from that angle -
    specific career jokes (doctor, engineer, etc.)
    specific animal jokes You get the idea.

Expand - and get community - add funny everything - pictures, sound effects, videos - sort it all out and make it easy for someone to pop in, grab the one they want to show somebody and make it easy for them to email it forward. We all hate to get that crap, but evidently the rest of the world loves it.

The best target is people just discovering the computer and people looking for specific niche related funnies to share. Provide some of that to other webmasters with a feed and a link back.

Make sure you have a tell a friend opportunity
    Create a signup based on getting the "newest" viral funny

Affiliate with funny products not easily found that are an impulse buy. Practical jokes, humorous plaques, etc.

To be successful on the Internet, you really need one of two things:

1) Low to moderate traffic that can be highly monetized. (This is where affiliate programs shine.)
    2) High traffic with low ability to monetize. (This is where AdSense and CPM stuff works best.)

The nirvana is a high traffic site that can be highly monetized, but that's very rare.

What you have is a low traffic site with a low ability to monetize. You'll never get anywhere like that. You either need the traffic or the ability to highly monetize the traffic.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Talking
    Is there a way to make money with a joke site?

"I also have adsense ads but neither are not making a dime."

adsense not making a dime!

I think everyone has or has had a joke site at this point. I have one, I bought the name in 98 or 99 and never did anything with it until a year or two ago. Although it's a great name that gets quite a few type ins, it never really took off.

Originally I had hoped to drive people to sign up for a daily joke by email then be able to slide an ad in the daily emails promoting some product or service. But the whole email market for this seems to have dried up. I've currently got some ppc ads on it and just last month added some joke/humor calendars. I like judi's idea of impulse, maybe I should sign up for some funny t-shirt affiliate programs as well. Right now, I bring in a few dollars a month with the ppc and maybe a calendar sale here and there.

I do think there is still a chance to make some money in this field, but as Coley stated you need mass traffic as it doesn't monetize easily.

Perhaps, I need to chat up snib for some advice on how to add more social features to it to make it stickier and viral. I do think you can drive traffic if you've got something easy and fun to use... and that has to be the key to it.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    interesting tread

turning comedy into cash....

I aggree with all

Make it viral
    Have a link bait seo angle
    Keep a target niche audience
    Provide a call to action for impulse sales conversions

Then pofit from it ,while you have some fun and share a laugh.
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Make a video of you telling jokes and unleash it on youtube with a link back to your site
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PingoPrepaidCallingCards
    interesting tread
    Have a link bait seo angle

What is a link bait SEO angle?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    doug,

sure thing

Whats SEO LinkBait?

Using a humor hook is great for linkbait. You can gain viral traffic and seo back links. In the 90ís people would forward jokes by email, now they link to them.

Just think of creative ways to use the power of humor. good luck.
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

One type of merchants that should/convert work well on joke sites is wacky and unusual gifts.

In addition to this, Judi said what I would've posted had she not made her post.

Geno

Make a video of you telling jokes and unleash it on youtube with a link back to your site
    Want to promote family friendly with viral? Make a video of a cute 4 year old telling 1 of your jokes. Put it on youtube and your site with the links. Do this a dozen times with the right kid and you have something.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread