Thumbs up SAS Reporting
    One of the best things about SAS is its reporting. I liek the way that SAS reports the last page clicked for a particular merchant.

I've asked CJ to include this type of reproting but lie all their customer service responses they fell short.
    CJ mentioned that I could include a scypt after all my links or purchase software.
    Both these options aren't worth my time.

Congrats to SAS for maing the affiliate experience an enjoyable one.

ABW Ambassador
    As an affiliate, you want to have that information.

Disclosing the same information to merchants is another issue!. SAS discloses it to merchants.

Some of these merchants are either OPMs with affiliate activities of their own or simply affiliates disguised as merchants in SaS.

Do you want to reveal your sites to other competing affiliates?. If you don't, then you better beware of this feature in SaS.

Interesting info.

Thanks

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    CJ does have something sort of similar, and I think even more important, the Invalid Link Report, which provides links to your site pages from where dead links were clicked, so you don't have to search for these links to remove them.

I have no idea if merchants have access to that, but generally most of the invalid links I've seen show up are for deactivated merchants.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    CJ does have something sort of similar, and I think even more important, the Invalid Link Report, which provides links to your site pages from where dead links were clicked, so you don't have to search for these links to remove them.

I have no idea if merchants have access to that, but generally most of the invalid links I've seen show up are for deactivated merchants.
    I don't think merchants have access to last click or invalid link in CJ ..
    Also most merchants in CJ are real genuine merchants and not OPMs or some small merchants with sideline affiliate activities that have clear conflicts of interest with their affiliates.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    CJ has access to all of that data and they operate many affiliate sites, SAS doesn't do that. To try and paint this great feature at SAS as a problem, shows a lack of understanding of the issue completely. If you're paranoid about your referral urls, where ever you are, redirect them them through your own domain and obfuscate them. But know that cheaters always do that, so people will view you with suspicion more often if you're hiding referral url data. If you don't trust your merchants and OPMs, because there's a feature at SAS (which is NOT the only way for this information to be captured), then your problem isn't SAS's feature - it's the OPMs and merchants you've chosen to work with.

And your last sentence is a gross mischaracterization of SAS merchants as well as CJ merchants - your ignorance (or is it intent?) is an embarassment to ABW.

My email into CJ actually referenced the invalid click report. I asked them to take it one step further and track all clicks but they told me they were unable to do that.

Obviously they are able to do that, if they can track invalid clicks.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    redtagdeals,

Do you want to reveal your sites to other competing affiliates?. If you don't, then you better beware of this feature in SaS.
    I don't follow how you make this connection. You are suggesting that merchants are taking this information and providing it to other affiliates?

??
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    redtagdeals,

I don't follow how you make this connection. You are suggesting that merchants are taking this information and providing it to other affiliates?

??
    No. It is not that merchants are taking this information and providing to other affiliates. Brian, as I said earlier also, there are many OPMs and small time merchants in SaS who may likely use this competitive information for their own gain by operating their own side line affiliate sites.

Donuts, at this time I do not hide any URLs and there is nothing to hide from my side. However, I was discussing the merits of passing the referral URL. While it is useful to genuine merchants, it could also be misused by some. As I see more OPMs and merchants who are also side line affiliates, I may pull the trigger on hiding the last click referral, just so the information is not misused by some unscrupulous on the receiving end.

As stated earlier by me in other threads, I prefer SaS doing a network quality on affiliate referrals (as a replacement to passing the last click referral information to merchants/OPMs) as well as enforce certain quality metrics on merchants.

BTW - SaS is overall a great network and my points above will only for improving SaS IMO as an affiliate. There may be conflicting needs from merchants side on the last referral click issue. A solution that works for both (a.k.a network enforcing quality of affiliate last clicks) will be better IMO

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts

And your last sentence is a gross mischaracterization of SAS merchants as well as CJ merchants - your ignorance (or is it intent?) is an embarassment to ABW.
    Now that I re-read that last sentence, yes, it seems that sentence may be a little off. What I meant was SaS has many merchants who are managed by OPMs (who also have side line affiliate activities) and/or small business mom and pop shops who also have side line affiliate activities. I see more of this in SaS as a percentage. And I appreciate the fact that SaS itself does not operate or own affiliate sites. And I do not like CJ owning affiliate sites and I have expressed this when they bought that Mezi Media ..

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread