Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    UncommonGoods Dropping Coupon Sites?
    Just got dropped by UncommonGoods because they say they don't want coupon sites. Heck of a time of the year to do it... They say to reapply if a different kind of site goes up. As if..
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

What a crappy way to treat loyal affiliates. At the very least, if they wanted to change how they do things, they should make it effective January 1, 2008. To drop affiliates during the holidays is downright nasty.

ABW Ambassador
    So I guess I should pull my links then. I have this hope that one day all merchants get affiliate managers that know what they're doing. Don't see it happening tho.

ABW Ambassador
    Is that the only reason they gave? Not sure how they substantiate "Coupons" appearing next to their entry on Ebates.

"I regret to inform you that we plan to remove you from our Affiliate Program. In recent months we have decided to change our marketing strategy to not include coupon sites or codes. Since we do not offer coupons, we do not feel it is effective to have coupon sites in our affiliate program..."
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    So I guess I should pull my links then. I have this hope that one day all merchants get affiliate managers that know what they're doing. Don't see it happening tho.
    Maybe it's isolated. If you didn't get the notification I wouldn't pull them yet.
    leeann

As soon as you generate enough sales to get on their radar, they'll pull you. I had a low traffic coupon site that stayed in, while my high traffic one got nuked. Then one day the low traffic one got high traffic/sales for a few days, and I got the email.

ABW Ambassador
    Which is funny since they're with a lot of adware affiliates, even searching on them:

http://forum.abestweb.com/search.php?searchid=1127908

They partner with some questionable ones. It is really shortsighted on their part since a lot of coupon sites, like mine, even have merchants that don't have any coupons. They could get regular shopping traffic, or traffic looking for deals. Shoppers, people that would buy stuff from them.

Quote Originally Posted by TI Master
    As soon as you generate enough sales to get on their radar, they'll pull you. I had a low traffic coupon site that stayed in, while my high traffic one got nuked. Then one day the low traffic one got high traffic/sales for a few days, and I got the email.
    Ahh... well that makes sense then, because I had an unusally good month w/ them, then got yanked.

Trust - you're right. My site offers deals and coupons - not just coupon codes. Once people go to a site, who is to say what they'll end up buying.
    leeann

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Odd... they used my "Contact Us" form ASKING to be on my coupon site:

This is xxxxx from UncommonGoods.com's affiliate program. I would like to add UncommonGoods.com to BillysCouponSite and would like to receive information on how to proceed.
    then after I applied I got, and told them I'd be putting them on a different non-coupon ste instead, they reiterated they want to be on my coupon site:

I really would like to be listed on the BillysCouponSite. We usually do not offer many coupons but here is one for the September that I can offer to you:
    Code: SEPTCELEBRATION
    10% discount on all orders, excluding shipping and gift boxing charges
    I dropped them for other reasons... and it also appears they have a different AM that contacted me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I had a few sales with them maybe 3-4 years ago, and despite LS's old system saying they had sent checks, I never received a cent from them for a year (no response to numerous emails), so I pulled all their links. A year or 2 later I got an email from a new AM wanting to know why I stopped promoting them, and I told her why. A month or so later, I received payment in full, but I never put any new links up - just didn't trust them.

However, they were the only merchant I recall dealing with that (at least a few years ago) paid commissions on the total sales amount, including shipping charges, gift wrapping, etc.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

That stinks. Were you doing anything fishy? (promoting non-existant coupons, or bidding on their name, etc..)

Hi everyone-

I am the affiliate manager at UncommonGoods. I understand everyone's frustration and it seems like our communication about this wasn't as clear as it should have been. So, I would like to clear up a few things and, hopefully, address some of these issues. Our analysis has shown that coupon sites are not profitable partnerships for us. We are not implying that the sites we remove are not quality sites, only that, since we don't offer coupons, these sites do not fit in with our business strategy.

- This is a change from our previous strategy. The SEPTCELEBRATION coupon
    is from 2005, and since my joining the program in March, we have since shifted the focus of our affiliate program.

- Because of the large number of affiliates in our program, this is an
    ongoing process. It is true that we use sales as an indicator of where we
    should focus our attention. We began this process several months ago, and
    will likely continue it for several more, so if you were removed during the
    holiday season, this is an unfortunate coincidence, and, while we understand
    that it may be frustrating from the affiliates' perspective, we still feel
    like it is the right thing to do for our business.

- Sites, such as Ebates, that offer loyalty programs beyond straight coupons
    will not be removed. If your site does offer such programs, and you feel
    that your site was removed erroneously, please contact us.

- We will be looking into sites that use malicious adware. I won't pretend that I know everything there is to know about affiliate marketing, and this process of strengthening our program certainly will benefit when affiliates like yourselves speak out about programs that use adware and about other issues as well.

- I realize that these decisions may look arbitrary, but we have been removing affiliates for several months prior to the holiday season. I completely understand your frustration, and it's not fun to be on this end all the time either (I don't enjoy telling people they've been removed - it totally sucks), but in the end it was a business decision, not a personal one.

We want a great affiliate program that is beneficial to both our affiliates and ourselves. That's why I really appreciate everyone's honesty and feedback. We probably didn't handle this as best as we could, and I'm sorry for that. But it's good to hear why, and we would appreciate any suggestions or questions you may have. If you want to contact me personally, you are free to do so --- missy@uncommongoods.com.

ABW Ambassador
    '- Sites, such as Ebates, that offer loyalty programs beyond straight coupons
    will not be removed. If your site does offer such programs, and you feel
    that your site was removed erroneously, please contact us."

I do hope you stick around and read some past threads. I would say coupon sites are actually better because they don't target your domain thru some toolbar. People would actually come to my site and click over to you. I don't have some application on people's computers that sit there waiting for people to get to your site thru many methods. People directly type your domain in, your free SE traffic, any PPC you might do or your affiliates etc.

they say ebates is staying, and then that they dont' want malicious adware sites... Where's the logic there? Ebates has "Moe Money Maker" which is exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    they say ebates is staying, and then that they dont' want malicious adware sites... Where's the logic there? Ebates has "Moe Money Maker" which is exactly that.
    No logic. And a "clueless" statement for sure. Bound to raise a few eyebrows, eh?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    - Sites, such as Ebates, that offer loyalty programs beyond straight coupons will not be removed. If your site does offer such programs, and you feel
    that your site was removed erroneously, please contact us.
    We're gonna need a whole lot more , some sleeping bags and a pup tent because that statement is worth camping out for.

Hi again-

Yeah, we have had many discussions about sites like Ebates. And while Moe Money Maker does raise concerns for us, we have analyzed the orders on Ebates and they drive enough incremental revenue outside of that feature for it to be profitable for us to be with them.

So only if we all instal toolbars that steal money from the merchant and other affiliates....

and only if we offer rebates to our visitors...

then UncommonGoods WANTS us

(Did I misread her post?)

Quote Originally Posted by mld
    Hi again-

Yeah, we have had many discussions about sites like Ebates. And while Moe Money Maker does raise concerns for us, we have analyzed the orders on Ebates and they drive enough incremental revenue outside of that feature for it to be profitable for us to be with them.
    what are your analysts smoking?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I think it's time for affiliates to start dumping Uncommon Goods and stop waiting to be dumped by them.

OK all - a few more nasty comments - get 'em out of your system...

then...

she's HERE... she's uneducated to the ways of toolbars

we can either yell... or educate

Thanks Billy! I'm definitely here to learn.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by mld
    Thanks Billy! I'm definitely here to learn.
    Please start with the parasites section of the forum.

ABW Ambassador
    Here's an old post of mine, instead of typing it all over again:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=64

I've never been a fan of toolbar affiliates because I don't think they drive any real value to a merchant but just poach on a lot of their traffic, more details in that post.

I don't have a problem with rebates site if the shopper shops thru the site. And if you asked some rebate sites with toolbars to not be in the toolbar. Watch how hard they fight you on it.

As far as coupon sites and as someone who has one. I understand if you don't have coupons and you don't want those sites promoting you like you do. But as far as mine and a lot of other ones, I have plenty of merchants that don't have coupons. Some merchants have them sometimes, some never. I just like having good merchants whether they have them or not. Because I get general shopping traffic and those looking for deals but all shoppers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast