Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    "Malware Poisoning Results for Innocent Searches"
    Malware Poisoning Results for Innocent Searches

Tens of thousands of malware-serving pages, crafted to reach a high search engine ranking, are showing up in the first page of returns from Google, Yahoo and Live.
    I've seen a bunch of these on Google in the last couple of days and wasn't sure what I was looking at. They all have nonsensical domains like sldflksjdlfkdjs and a .cn extension.

ABW Ambassador
    Rhea,

I think that there may be another parallel explanation for otherwise honest looking pages serving up malware. I host a number of sites on one account and recently all of my sites were hacked. The hack was a peice of javascript placed on the the bottom (before the closing body tag) of every index, default and signup page (plus a few that I forget). The script prompted users to download a codec (much like in the article. The hacker got in through an unprotected "contact us" form field. (Form to database) What I couldn't understand is how he accessed the file system from the database. Creepy. Any how, I bet that many unsuspecting website owners are infected in a similar way and don't even know it.

Dave

Oh blecccch. Dave, I don't use contact forms on my web sites but I do have them on a couple of my Cafe Press shops. Is there a way to check if my shops are infected or if they're vulnerable? (I paid someone to make the contact form pages for me so I have no idea how they're built.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Is there a way to check if my shops are infected or if they're vulnerable?
    Check for that unplanned javascript at the bottom of your pages. Google will throw up a flag in their Webmaster Tools area if they spot it on a site that you have verified with them.

Thank you, Bumpaw. I checked the source code for my CP Shops and it looks okay. I guess I should test the forms by sending myself a message. :gulp:

Thanks bumpaw, I had to go and check my site as well. Thankfully it's ok but I feel better now knowing.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Rhea,

I don't think that sending yourself a message will prove anything. The easiest way for me to check was to load the index/default page. If it was infected, it loaded slower as the script ran. Then you would see a modal window telling you to click yes to load the new codec. It was one of those endless loop boxes - quite nasty. If your sites look okay from a users point of view then you are probably okay. Sorry if I made anyone panic!

Dave

Hey Dave, thanks for the additional info. Nothing untoward happened when I opened those pages in my browser so I guess I'm in the clear. You didn't alarm me (any more than I was already anyway.) Guess I'll keep a closer eye on them in the future. I had no idea they might be a gateway for the bad guys.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread