Missing Transactions
    I am getting so frustrated. Without getting into a debate over loyalty sites, I just have to say that I am REALLY not trusting 75% of my merchants right now. I have had over 100 transactions reported by my members in the last week that I didn't get credit for. For a small site like mine, that is a lot. And although I am sure that some of them are attributable to user error, many of them are not. I had one of my own transactions not show up in Shareasale last week. My mom had transactions not show up in Linkshare. By best friend had transactions not show up in CJ. So it's across all networks. None of us have spyware on our computers. We all click on the appropriate links, have cookies enabled, use only our own coupon codes, yada yada yada.

If I'm losing this many transactions on my loyalty site where I can actually track what I am losing, how many transactions am I losing through my non-loyalty sites that I CANNOT track?

We've seen a whole laundry list of problems that I know most affiliates would have no clue about. Macy's consistently pays on only parts of the sales and not other parts (especially when duplicates of the same product are ordered). Disney does the same. Numerous merchants with Google or Paypal payment options are not getting all of those particular purchases. Boca Java had a glitch in their system and only paid on 22.95 for every purchase the last 2 weeks regardless of the actual amount of the sale.

I'm just so damn angry right now. Not just because my members are hounding me when things don't track right but because I know that these merchants are getting a lot of sales from all of us and not having to pay us. Is this just the way it has to be because of the type of work that we have chosen to do?
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Dunno what to tell you. Someone told me the other day he bought a book from Amazon using my link and I never got credit for it.

Whenever I've complained and proved I deserved the commission I've gotten paid, but of course that doesn't do anything for the 99% of sales we don't know about. I don't trust my merchants either. But what can you do? Nothing, I think.

I have to admit I do get credited for most of the transactions I know about.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Maybe the nature of the beast is just that you have to get used to not getting paid for everything and accept it?

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Aren't you glad you are not a PPC affiliate as they are forking out the PPC cost and most of the time, they do not know that tracking is right. Most ppl affiliates will look at the # on a hourly basis though

As I used to manager for a merchant, I have seen numerous ways to not pay affiliates but I have never done that is a good way to take your program south really fast. It basically boils down to the merchant being honest and ensuring that tracking is working. We have seen cases where tracking coding was accidentally removed from the merchants' site even though the program is managed by a high profile OPM to data not being uploaded to the network. If you do not feel comfortable working with merchant, find another merchant that you feel comfortable with. I know, it does not resolve your question about missing transactions but it's all about trust and transparency.

The best thing that you can do to address this is:
    1) Get your members to pass to you the transaction ID.
    2) Compile the list and send it to the merchant.
    3) If they are not willing to credit you and look into their system, publish their names on ABW - Test purchase section.
    4) Send the link to the merchant and tell them that you will keep on updating that thread every week till they look into it.

All the best

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    It basically boils down to the merchant being honest and ensuring that tracking is working. If you do not feel comfortable working with merchant, find another merchant. All the best
    This is the bottom line. If a merchant is not treating you fairly, authenticate whatever you can, advise the merchant (or OPM) of the discrepancies, collect what you are due and then drop them from your sites. Best of luck HM's.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I just pulled Boca Java off of my sites because they are being ridiculous. I think I might just make myself a little list and starting pulling off some of the others. Not that they will care. But I'll feel better about it.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Helpingmoms we have similar issues. We have found a few root causes. Many times the shopper might click off your site to a coupon site and your cookie is overwritten. Othertimes they might have some sort of parasiteware that also overwrites your cookie. Sometimes the shopper never used our links in the first place.

When we report those transactions to merchants the merchant can sometimes give us credit for sale or at least tell us that the specific transaction we are researching came through either a different affiliate link or a non affiliate link. Either way you will not get paid.

I would define our sites as fairly active but we do not have nearly the 100 lost transactions weekly. I don't know how many transactions you typically run every week but that seems like an unreasonably high number.

Can you imagine sites like Fat Wallet or other very high volume cash back or loyalty sites and the nightmares they must have? I know that is no comfort but we have learned its part of the game unfortunately and that's why I rally around calls for extended periods before cookies can be overwritten because I think that would solve many of these lost transaction issues.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread