Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Difference in the quality of Affiliates between Shareasale and CJ
    Hello everyone, I have been thinking about this for the past week. We just launched our program through ShareASale, although the affiliate base has been growing, its been a slow process in which it will take a while to start seeing a significant impact in overall sales by affiliates ( according to our AM Andy Rodriguez).

I know that CJ isnt as affiliate friendly as SAS and costs about 5k to open an account,but I was wondering if you get more affiliates there when you join since it is a huge network. Will the quality of the affiliates be the same,better, or worse than the ones on SAS?

Thank you ,

Paul

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    The aff base on CJ, Performics and LS is much bigger. That being said, they have been around for ages. SAS is an upcoming star but it will be slow in growing your affialites for your program. SAS is not doing the volume that the big 3 are doing yet.

Most (not all) affiliates in CJ, LS and Performics are affiliates in SAS. There are pros and cons for each network. CJ and LS can get your program going really fast in a short time.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, you'll probably get more on CJ, Performics, Linkshare but as far as quality of affiliates, most are on various networks. So you can get good affiliates on all the networks but won't get adware affiliates on SAS. If you're a good merchant regardless of where you are, affiliates will find you. They want to make money.

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Paul, it really depends on what you mean by "quality".

With CJ you will get a higher quantity of affiliates. Most will be inactive. Of the ones who are active a significant portion will promote your program using methods that are questionable at best. You will have to police those, because CJ does little to do so. You will be put in touch with more "corporate" affiliates. Although dealing with them can be very lucrative it is more akin to a traditional media buy than affiliate marketing, especially if your brand presence is weak in your vertical.

With SAS you do indeed get a smaller network. However, most of the SAS affiliates I have encountered are professionals for whom the affiliate channels is their main focus. They will offer up suggestions. If you listen to those suggestions your program will grow and improve. These are affiliates whom, if they want to partner with you, truly want to be part of your marketing team. SAS does a great job of filtering out affiliates using more questionable methods from their network. The only downside is that you, yourself will have to be aggressive in reaching out to corporate affiliates. But again, unless your brand presence is the strong in your vertical they will interact with you the same way on SAS as they do on CJ, you will just have to seek them out.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

ABW Ambassador
    "Of the ones who are active a significant portion will promote your program using methods that are questionable at best."

Don't know about that one. I think most are fine, have to watch the adware affiliates there. But questionable practices besides adware go on everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Yes, you'll probably get more on CJ, Performics, Linkshare but as far as quality of affiliates, most are on various networks. So you can get good affiliates on all the networks but won't get adware affiliates on SAS. If you're a good merchant regardless of where you are, affiliates will find you. They want to make money.
    Right now we are SAS exclusive, I doubt it would make TOO much of a diff if we do decide to go to CJ. Right now we only have 50 affiliates after 1 week of launching. Im really curious what kind of an affiliate base is possible on CJ? typical week after launch or longer time periods.

I appreciate all of your responses guys!

thanks
    Paul

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul@RizeMobile.com
    Right now we are SAS exclusive, I doubt it would make TOO much of a diff if we do decide to go to CJ. Right now we only have 50 affiliates after 1 week of launching. Im really curious what kind of an affiliate base is possible on CJ? typical week after launch or longer time periods.

I appreciate all of your responses guys!

thanks
    Paul
    You would have to ask merchants/affiliate managers who have programs on both networks, anybody else is just guessing.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I think you will find a few top notch AMers who are exclusive to SAS. If you can partner with those folks they are movers and shakers.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Paul,

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding the question you have posed, but here is my take on things:

It's only been one week, not to mention you launched during the busiest time of year, it being quarter four and all. Give SAS some time and trust in the OPM you have chosen to handle the recruiting aspect for you. In the end, it won't matter how many affiliates you have in the program. What matters is how many are active and happy enough with your offerings to continue promoting you. It takes some time to build up that trust factor.

As I stated before, you have done many things well already:

-Selected a well-known OPM team with a good reputation
    -Launched on SAS
    -Active participation here on ABW

To echo Trust here, I'll just say that the good affiliate partners will find you on the SAS network. That, coupled with the recruiting ARC will do for you, will increase your numbers over time.

Best of luck!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    I think you will find a few top notch AMers who are exclusive to SAS. If you can partner with those folks they are movers and shakers.
    Name one. I don't know of any "mover and shaker" who limits themselves to just one network. Good affiliates are everywhere, good merchants are everywhere. I would say it's a very small minority (maybe vocal) that are only on one network.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    To echo Kim, you launched the wrong week. I can't even do anything more for my bread and butter merchants, no less adding more

Two, you're a niche merchant in a highly saturated market, and one that's ripe with fraud, and loads of sneaky competitors. Some of us avoid those verticals, just to save on grey hairs

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    It's really not about the number of Affiliates you have (or how many networks you're in) anyway.

Paul, starting a new program from scratch is a process. It's going to take time to build up. Just pick one network and stick with it is what I would suggest.

You've made good choices so far.

all, thank you for the great suggestions. Billy, the market may be highly saturated but we differentiate ourselves with our high level of service we provide and we have better pricing than all of the stores on 95% of our items.

Billy, as you mentioned there are a TON of unethical merchants in this vertical and I think once the affiliates understand that, it should help us even more, but I do think it may take a while (maybe a year). In the meantime I thought maybe CJ would expedite things a bit,that is why I wanted a few opinions from everyone here.

Kim and Billy Kay are right on target...poor timing.

I signed up with you on Tuesday. I had hoped to already have converted an old domain over to a small site featuring free cell phone plans and the "free choice" provided with unlocked cell phones. That domain that gets over 50 type-ins per day (FREE TARGETED TRAFFIC) because it contains those key words - so may actually get some results - especially if I put some real content there and promote it a bit.

BUT (always a "but," right?), one of my main bread and butter sites needs some unexpected attention - and that's where I have to focus my time, especially at this time of year. Except this evening when I'll be out enjoying a couple pours of Guinness with a buddy. Hmmmm...work another 18 hour day or enjoy a Guinness...that's a no-brainer.

So the cell phone plans are shelved until (hopefully) early next week. Meanwhile it is still earning a couple bucks a day with AdSense.
    Last edited by Beachy; November 29th, 2007 at 02:48 PM.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I think you just shot yourself in the foot looking for the magic bullet.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I think you just shot yourself in the foot looking for the magic bullet.
    I do believe we did everything right in regards to launching our program, perhaps we did launch the affil program a month too late due to the last minute fine tweaking.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Paul,

We're a multi-network merchant with CJ/SAS. While it's working out great for us, there are a ton of challenges which single network merchants don't have.

You'll need processes in place to ensure these challenges are met and that affiliates in both networks receive the same support. It can be easy to neglect one network over the other if you don't keep on it.

CJ and SAS have positives and negatives but with only one week into it, I don't think it's time to look elsewhere. As others have said, I'd stick with SAS only for the near future and let Andy's team work their magic.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drumm

CJ and SAS have positives and negatives but with only one week into it, I don't think it's time to look elsewhere. As others have said, I'd stick with SAS only for the near future and let Andy's team work their magic.

Bob
    Thank you Bob. Andy's team have been extremely helpful with our program launch. They are professionals in their field and I fully trust them with the direction of our program.

Paul,

Your not understanding what I'm saying....

Having the attention of 50 affiliates durring this time is nothing short of amazing!

Complaining / questioning after a week shows that your looking for miracles and not looking to build a real program. When you ask about CJ and say it's no biggie about destroying one of your programs' major selling point (exclusivity) your showing how fickle you are or worse poor planner (already looking for alternatives) and unfortunately this all will be evident to the thousands of potential affiliates here at ABW.

I don't mean to be rude, I just want to show you what I and I'm sure many other affiliates saw/will see from your thread.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Paul,

Your not understanding what I'm saying....

Having the attention of 50 affiliates durring this time is nothing short of amazing!

Complaining / questioning after a week shows that your looking for miracles and not looking to build a real program. When you ask about CJ and say it's no biggie about destroying one of your programs' major selling point (exclusivity) your showing how fickle you are or worse poor planner (already looking for alternatives) and unfortunately this all will be evident to the thousands of potential affiliates here at ABW.

I don't mean to be rude, I just want to show you what I and I'm sure many other affiliates saw/will see from your thread.
    Haiko, thank you for explaining that,it was not my intention to be rude to any affiliates here. I'm very new to affiliate marketing, which is why we hired one of the most regarded teams in the business to represent us and set up all the strategies. I only asked this question out of curiosity and didn't even run this by Andy and the guys. Sorry for any misunderstandings, I'm just very eager to learn.

I found CJ extremely frustrating from the merchant perspective. SAS has its frustrating points, but fewer than CJ IMO.

As for building a program, never rely on the network for recruiting. You have two tools at your disposal. Use them.

1. Actively recruit - find websites/affiliates that you'd really like to work with and make first contact. Spend some time on each one. Type out an individual email, or pick up the phone and call - nothing bulk.

2. Make your current affiliates successful - if the 50 affiliates you have now can make money with you, your program will inevitably grow. If they can't, it won't, regardless of the network.

Best of luck!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan

1. Actively recruit - find websites/affiliates that you'd really like to work with and make first contact. Spend some time on each one. Type out an individual email, or pick up the phone and call - nothing bulk.

2. Make your current affiliates successful - if the 50 affiliates you have now can make money with you, your program will inevitably grow. If they can't, it won't, regardless of the network.

Best of luck!
    Eathan, I have been doing exactly that. Contacting websites in our niche such as mobile phone review sites etc..
    I do know that for a fact that our affiliates can make money with us as we have actually had a few affiliate sales in the first week already

Then it sounds like you're well on your way. Enjoy!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul@RizeMobile.com
    Haiko, thank you for explaining that,it was not my intention to be rude to any affiliates here. I'm very new to affiliate marketing, which is why we hired one of the most regarded teams in the business to represent us and set up all the strategies. I only asked this question out of curiosity and didn't even run this by Andy and the guys. Sorry for any misunderstandings, I'm just very eager to learn.
    Hello all,

We have been out most of the day but just got off the phone with Paul ...

Paul has agreed to allow us to do our job ...

Sometimes it takes new merchants time to understand the affiliate channel. We attemp to explain it the best we can, we set them up in the best network, we add quality affiliate partners and even generate sales during the first week the program is live - sometimes, that is not enough though ....

We appreciate your comments on this thread in an effort to further educate Paul on affiliate marketing. I'm sure he has learned a few things today ...

and to answer the title on this thread, nothing personal against any CJ affiliates, I'd rather work with quality affiliates on SAS any day ....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Djambazov
    Of the ones who are active a significant portion will promote your program using methods that are questionable at best. You will have to police those, because CJ does little to do so.
    CJ recently claimed, in court, that there are in NO WAY responsible for veryifying the legitimacy of orders. See here for more:
    http://affiliatefairplay.com/newsblo...dvertisers-do/

I'm sure many other affiliates saw/will see from your thread.
    Yep. What I see is unrealistic expectations of growth - I've seen it so many times before, I know what else comes with it -- a lack of understanding of adware and a topical view of sales reports -- meaning there will be little short-term hope of this merchant discerning which affiliates add value by introducing new buyers and which don't. I also see a merchant not listening to their OPM. There's also no understanding here of the pitfalls of multiple platforms and the ethics problems at CJ, which are very well known.

But he's new and has a guide at his side, so for me, it's not time to hang a label on him. But I'm not joining this program until it has the maturity required for me to risk my time and money on it, and part of that maturity will be coming to grips with the fallacy of the advantages of a parallel network setup.

So I think H was referring to affs like me, I certainly did learn a lot from his posts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast