I need some motivation to get me back working again.. I've been on hiatus since around christmas time, and I've only done a minimal amount of work - prob 20 hours total.. In that time, my earnings only increased so that's not very motivating.. Now I'm trying to get back into it again but I can't find the motivation.. Every time I start to work I just get bored and stop.. Has anyone else been in this same boat, and if so, how did you get motivated again?

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah. It sucks when you do less work, yet earnings increase.

I'm in the same boat at the moment. Movitation is low.

I try & remind myself that my next pay cut may only be as far away as the next google update. That keeps me going a bit longer.

I'm finishing a new site at the moment but I would have been 2 months behind if I didn't have any music to listen too while making them. More precisely, having some "new" music to listen to instead of recycling the old cds in the collection.

Going for walks or runs helps too, especially long walks that take up about an hour or two, really clears the head.

------------------------
    Webmaster Resources

ABW Ambassador
    I've been hard pressed to get anything done since last summer! I had a baby in June and work just stopped as I had so much more to do with the baby and the other three kids. We moved in Jan. and I haven't even unpacked my files, desk stuff or anything related to work lol

but this month...I started building 5 new sites and revamping three existing sites that were sitting out there w/dead links

my motivator: my pay decreased drastically this past month, and our family is too used to all the money I have been making to be able to make ends meet if this trend continues.

It was nice being able to coast for almost 9 months and still generate 5-7,000 a month for no work, but REALITY is

0 work = 0 money

It's more fun to jump on the trampoline than sit underneath it!

ABW Ambassador
    There are days where i don't feel like doing anything, its good to take a day off now and then. I just put a Mercedes screensaver on my desktop as motivation Another good motivator is when my girlfriend complains about a bad day at work or about the boss. Having no boss is a great motivator for me. I like having no schedule, freedom. Plus my sig is a good motivator.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

hey TK
    try some new stuff, I know you've got a good business going but theres always new stuff to try - like webmerge, or the various scripts advertised on abw, or a different market altogether, adult sites, must be some sector or software you haven't touched

ABW Ambassador
    Take a walk, do some excercise, do something naughty, all good motivators for sure... hehe.. adult sites too... like that idea.. not sure if you meant making them or viewing them

I try to go do some walking around or go out to the store or something just to get out ... collect thoughts, come back and do some work..

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

yeah, i'd like to build some adult sites, it's on my todo list, below 12 datafeeds, 10 minisites, some webmerge stuff, reworking a dead site, a content site, get to grips with dreamweaver mx, push more performics stuff.. so maybe get onto it in 2 years time
    no problems with motivation here, just keep building

ABW Ambassador
    I usually head out to the pub for a few hours, sleep it off for the night and continue again after I wake up.
    Sometimes I take weeks ~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

Thanks for the tips.. Some of them will actually be put to use.. I've also discovered a new trick in the last 24 hours.. feed yourself lots of BS and ask yourself ridiculous questions.. such as, what if all my sites stopped getting traffic at once? what if all my merchants dropped me from their programs? what if the internet stopped working? what if I wanted to buy Greg Normans yacht next year.. could I pay for it in cash? what if affiliate marketing dies off within a year or two.. will I be comfortable with what I have now? lots and lots of BS seems to stir up something inside to start working again.. Now all I have to do is manage to sit at the keyboard and actually do the work, which is easier said than done..

I can't imagine taking that much time off, it's too fun seeing your webpages hit on the first page, even second sometimes. I need to work on my spin though.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread