ABW Ambassador
    just wondering if anyone knows of a study that shows what % prefers using the web to search for local services before using the yellow pages? This could be helpful if you're looking at doing a web site for a local business, especially those who ask why they need a web site

FreeCallz.com

Celiaphile:
    We have an online Yellow Pages on our site. Is that what you're referring to?

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    no...ok, say you're going to contact a local business about doing their web site & they ask why they need one. It would be nice to say that such&such % of people search the web before going to a phone book.

FreeCallz.com

I dont know the percentages, but personally my girlfriend and I always check online yellowpages before looking through the big ol' book.

ABW Ambassador
    yah, me too...I don't know the last time I even opened one, but our opinions are a little biased

FreeCallz.com

Celiaphile:
    Our sales team has found inclusion in an online directory a tough sell, let alone Web site development. Maybe it's just our area, but many small businesses our sales team has contacted just don't see a need to be on the Web, despite what we might see as the "obvious" need.

Many at that level also "know someone" who "knows something" about the Internet, so they have their 17-year-old nephew toss up an God-awful cobweb on Geocities. Then they say, "We're on the Internet." Of course, nobody every finds the site, and they say "See, we don't need the Internet."

Then you try to educate them that the Internet needs to be part of their core business plan ...

Uh-oh, I'm starting to recite parts of my final MBA project ... better stop this rant.

Apologies if I've gone on too long.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Karl...
    Basically, I want to trade my service for thiers. In this case, trading a web site for dent removal on my car. Then trading a web site for a paint job. Then, who knows?
    While on the topic, anyone ever do a trade like this before? How'd it work out?

FreeCallz.com

Affiliate Manager
    I know at least one person who successfully traded an ad on a large traffic site for free food at a local (nice) restaurant - and that deal has been in place for years- so both parties must consider it successful.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

I usually use Yahoo Yellow Pages to search for local business (car repair, restaurant, home improvement, etc.) - The big yellow book is just to heavy to bring anywhere ...

Regards,

=xo=

Celicaphile...

My brother in law traded services for a web page. Now, he's on the other end, but I think many people get burned like this...so the marketing message is to make sure the paint or dent guy knows you WON'T do this:

My bro in law, Jim, owns a race car company. (They build drag race cars, mostly pro mods - Vanishing Point Race Cars.) He had the ubiquitous "guy who knows something" con him into doing most of his p/m monte carlo in exchange for "doing his site." Now, the site's not bad - not great, but it is e-commerce enabled, reasonably laid out, it's not on Geocities...BUT once the car was done, he handed over a stack of bills for hosting, credit card processing (one sale has come in so far..it's been 2 years now) and other costs he had no idea he was responsible for. Jim was blown away. And the guy had his car already so there wasn't much he could do. I mean, he was a little naive to think that there would be no ongoing costs, but really, he was not prepared at all. Alot of the bills were already late by the time he got them, and accruing late charges.

Anyway, I think that alot of car guys would be pretty psyched to get out there on the "world wide interweb" but remember to make the trade off equitable and make the guy aware of all the costs that might happen after you do the site...the domain renewal, the hosting, etc.

ps: the site is www.vpracecars.com ...and I'm the "patrice" in the news section.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268
    ::visit our private forum on abw::

ABW Ambassador
    whoa, quite an experience...I would never do that. Actually, I tell people up front that I don't want anything in my name and I'll walk them through any billing or sign-up processes if they need it, but in case anything happens, I don't want to be left holding the bag & I don't want them to feel like I screwed them in any way.
    This idea came about because someone actually approached me & offered to pull some small dents in my car & when I told them that I do web design, they asked if I was willing to trade. The problem then was that I didn't know this guy & I usually don't trust people who approach me the way he did...he said he was just starting out & didn't have a shop or anything...just some random guy...

FreeCallz.com

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread