Greetings all:
    I'm wondering if content would be of value to most affiliate sites. I sense that most folks here are strictly commerce based. We are a content site and we're developing RSS feeds for headlines and abstracts (local news & sports, pro sports, entertainment, food, etc.) and I'm wondering how much interest there will be.

Also, selfishly, I'm wondering if the generation of original content is worth anything, since it's something I could do on the side!

Thanks in advance.

http://abw.infopop.cc/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

BUMP!

Anyone care to respond?

Karl Smith

Waiting for Leaders Reply

"The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their Dreams."

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    As far as writing content for someone else and getting paid, you could check out www.freelancewriting.com . Even the jobs that don't pay might work to your benefit, since you would certainly be allowed links from your articles on their site to your own site, which draws traffic and increases PR.

I'll also wait for someobne smarter to answer the rest of your question, lol.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

I'm sure I could self-syndicate some free content with back links. Good point.

Who are the "leaders" and the "smarter people"?

Karl Smith

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Leader has a nice essay about defining content, and it's value. I believe Buckworks wrote a bit about content a while back as well.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

Content is good for PageRank and traffic in general, but bad for sales - because people come for the content, not to buy.

Good content could get you an ODP listing for the site, giving you a nice PR boost and some extra traffic, which you'd struggle to get alone.

The key is to combine content and sales sites, use affiliate stores off the back off content sites, that kind of thing.

But I guess it depends on your strategy.. if you just use PPC to generate sales, it's useless. But it you use the FFA SEs like Google, it's valuable. ish.

My 2cents anyway

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Hmmm ... not exactly a positive response.

Just another outdated skill I possess, I guess.

Karl Smith

Search for posts by Leader ... She is the most vocal anti-content person here ... her posts will sure extend you knowledge about making money in the net

KoGo:
    Sent a PM; awaiting response.
    Thanks for the guidance!

Karl Smith

Just a little bump ...

Karl Smith

No, no, no, not outdated at all.

I'd put it this way.. content sites in themselves don't earn much money, but are a useful part of a portfolio of sites that you use together.

Let's put it in Google terms -

Here's an example, you have three content sites with a PR5 or PR6. You can use those to create another PR5 sites which is purely a sales site.

Or another one, get a PR6 content site and you've got the potential for a PR6 or PR5 sales subsite.

Or in ODP terms - if you have enough unique content on your site, you'll get a listing in ODP and the Google Directory, and a load of others. As long as you don't swamp the content with affiliate links, you'll get traffic and make a little money.

What Leader (and Buckworks) say is all true, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

________

Dynamoo:

Thanks for the encouraging note. I see the operational model you're describing.

In a perfect world, I'd like to concentrate on a sideline of creating original content for Web sites, as opposed to creating content and building the Web site. That simply may not be possible, as there is so much free content out there.

If I'm going to leverage my content-creating skills (on the side), looks like I'll have to get in the site-buidling business, too.

Karl Smith

Here is a good example of a content site wrapped around affiliate sales:

www.teampb.com

It is my site.

What Dynamoo says about content sites as part of a portfolio is valid, at least it works for me.

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

Karl , i didnt got any PM's ...think there is some problem with Private messages ...even i have PM issues before .... Haiko ???

Dynamoo gave a good simplified explanation ... Mini Sales site is THE way to go ...Many leverage their content sites to create new sales sites ...

The sale site should focuss on a single product/service with nothing but some keyword rich 2-3 paragraph Sales pitch and a big ugly "Click here to buy " link and maybe a single banner in the top ...

The goal is the surfer should only have two choices ...he should either click the "buy" link or click the back button...no fooling around the site

You can do either traditional SEO or PPC to drive targetted Search Engine traffic to the sales site ...

As far as i see its very rare a content site will earn money on its own ( unless its "adult" content )

[This message was edited by KoGo on April 10, 2003 at 03:36 PM.]

Awesome site. Producing a significant volume of quality content wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know about the patience/time/skill part of building/maintaining a Web site.

Looks like I'll have to suck it up or ditch the idea!

Karl Smith

ABW Ambassador
    phillyburbs,
    personally, I feel that content sites are the way to go, with affiliate linking mixed in, and then have another site, or subsite, for shopping. What's important is not to just get people to your site, but to get them to come back. Return traffic through constantly updated content is true value. Tie that into a site, or part of your site, devoted purely to sales, and you should have a winner. Again, my personal beliefs are such that there needs to be a reason to come back & stagnant affiliate driven commerce sites are useless. Again, that's my view & I do have both kinds of sites & they seem to do equally well

FreeCallz.com

Celiaphile:

Thanks for the insight.

The content, for me, would be the fun part, the easy part. I just don't know if I have the patience for the web building and maintenance issues. Like everyone else, I'd love to make a little extra money doing what I do best & enjoy.

In my case, that means generating content (articles, etc.).

Ahhh, perchance to dream ....

Karl Smith

By the way, love your site!
    [everyone uses the phone, right?!]

Karl Smith

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Waiting for Leaders Reply<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah . . . me too~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Waiting for Leaders Reply~KoGo <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You wrote that in the *morning*! So I'm not surprised to see that this thread has progressed a lot since then... the only time I'm up then is by accident!

Anyway, the others are right. I'm quite anti-c*ntent--it doesn't cause SALES! And all that "return traffic" coming back to mooch more c*ntent, free, isn't something I'm interested in on a sales site. But of course, people are welcome to come back to my sites any time they're ready to BUY something!

I do generally write a pretty big essay but KoGo made it a bit easier for me where he says what I would about the negatives of c*ntent and you should be able to find my old posts about it if you search here for posts about c*ntent written by me. Note that I do usually write it "c*ntent" with the asterisk so you'll want to put that in the search because I don't always remember to leave it uncensored at least once in a post.

So I'll try to stick to what I haven't said as often since you can look up the old posts, plus KoGo hit the main points. (Hmmm...this is still a pretty big essay--but hitting some other points than I usually would.)

What Dynamoo says about passing on PageRank between sites is right. But I never *liked* the "put the sales site off the back" as a first line of operation because I like my sites to be proud of what they are! I've got one like that, but I did that one when it was my *only* site! Even then, the store part was promoted seperately--the people coming for the c*ntent were NOT the ones buying from the store section.

Now I've got 20+ sites and the stores are STORES. Although I always manage to get at least one tracking link in every site, store or not. Even leaders-site has a pay link although that's a personal site! A site that has no commercial links just isn't *complete* to me.

On the other hand, c*ntent sites can be fun and provide a break from writing the Sell-Sell-Sell pitches but when it comes to making $$$...Stores are it IMO. Due to that, I wouldn't set up a c*ntent site which would need all that much updating since if I'm going to spend *that* much time on a site, I want to be spending it making more Revenue sites.

That's NOT to say that syndicating c*ntent wouldn't work--just not on Revenue sites. There are plenty of dinosaurs out there who still think c*ntent is the king of something! And if yours is original enough, you MAY be able to cut through the clutter of free content and get some people to subscribe for a fee. But selling *anything* is a lot tougher when there's FREE competition!! You definitely have your work cut out for you in an environment where there's many free alternatives.

But then again...the AP and Reuters manage it...

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

Phillyburbs,

I use content on some of my personal sites to generate fairly large newsletter followings. I announce new products in the newsletters and then customers return to the site for both purchases and additional content.

I make more money on sales focused sites - but I drive a lot of the base traffic via the newsletters that I build from the content sites - example: Red Cardinal Home & Garden Keeping content fresh is a painstaking process for me and I welcome any type of affordable help. It does have some other value as well since it consistently keeps me in number one Google listings.

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    Nothing Builds Business Better than a Strong A.R.M.

Buy them a new application and they'll be content for a day - Show them how to code... and they'll go into business for themselves.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. Good points all, and I see the logic in them [I'll also search for c*ntent and see if I can scrounge up the older posts]. As I said in one of my replies, it may just be a skill that I can't translate into dollars on the Web. I've heard some people chatter about content, but this is the first time I've gotten direct opinions about it. Just good to know if your skills can translate into cash!
    Thanks again,
    Karl

Karl Smith

Ah... now, NEWSLETTERS.. I don't use 'em myself, but I understand that they can be great ways of getting sales traffic.

________

Karl,
    If content is your strong suit, write newsletters for people. I would love someone providing me a newletter for my target audience.

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread