Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs down mypowermall - This cannot be legal!
    I just got an email from a friend of mine.

http://www. mypowermall.com/Biz/Home/

SO usually when you click over, you can tell something is not right, However i listen to the audio portion and surprised how it works.

So i signed up just to see what its all about and boy i was surprised what they were actually doing

First they use top name brand companies, I bet these top name companies have no idea the brand is getting run through the gutter on this Pyramid scam.

To my knowledge most affiliate programs do not allow for self purchases!

Second they use a toolbar for you to download, we all know whats thats about. Hijacking commission.

How can this be legal and do the networks and merchants know about this? Why would they allow it? I hope this does not give affiliate marketing another bad rap.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; November 30th, 2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Affiliate LINK!!

ABW Ambassador
    There's a few threads on that one. Didn't notice the toolbar last time I checked.

But that's basically a bunch of template sites. A sale is made thru the site, and the commission is split between them and whoever signs up for one of those template sites.

Has anyone contacted the merchants? If not, I think it would be a worthy cause. I am going to gather a list, if people have not already tried

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    They are the up in coming parasite. Cheesy as their program and website are. They are dangerous.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador
    Where's the toolbar? It's probably right in front of me and I'm missing it.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    ...To my knowledge most affiliate programs do not allow for self purchases!...
    Slightly off topic, but I don't think that is true at all; I think very few merchants prohibit their affiliates from making personal purchases. Just check out the Test Purchase threads.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

It is hidden, As soon as you sign up there is a toolbar that they request you to download. Of course i didn't download it.

They also state this is NOT:
    Spyware
    MLM
    Affiliate Martketing Business

WHich i think its all three!

See seems pretty fishy... Is she changing the world, or changing her pocketbook?

"Ginny Dye is the author of 18 books and owner of two other online companies also designed to inspire and give back to the world: http://ShopForCharityDay.com and http://TogetherWeCanChangeTheWorld.com"

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Slightly off topic, but I don't think that is true at all; I think very few merchants prohibit their affiliates from making personal purchases. Just check out the Test Purchase threads.
    As far as that, true. It's actually pretty rare that one won't. I know hosting merchants, you have to really read the terms. Amazon won't let you do it. But other than that, every now and then I'll hear of one, but it's pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    As far as that, true. It's actually pretty rare that one won't. I know hosting merchants, you have to really read the terms. Amazon won't let you do it. But other than that, every now and then I'll hear of one, but it's pretty rare.
    I am a violator! I shop off my own amazon links (just with a different account)

AFter reading this

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/05/nexgen.shtm

It doesn't seem they are breaking the law because there is nothing to buy or sell. It must be a loophole

Toolbar Info

"My Power Mall has developed a Toolbar exclusively for all of our members! Every time you are on the Internet you will have instant access to all Updates, Shopping Alerts, your MPM Mall, your Back Office, the Communications Forum and so much more! You'll never have to worry again whether or not an email will be delivered!

Though the technology is quite sophisticated, it is so very simple for you. Don't be intimidated by the technology. It is completely safe. It will do nothing to harm your computer. If you have adware software installed, you may receive a message stating the toolbar contains malicious code. Be assured, there is absolutely no spyware or adware here. Currently, the only known issue is with a freeware program called Zone Alarm. The only special coding installed is the customization for your MPM ID number. It has been created and coded exclusively for My Power Mall!

Once you have downloaded the Toolbar (it takes just seconds), it will automatically appear across the top of your browser every time you are on the Internet. An Alert box will pop up every time we send an important information -- as long as your IE Browser window is open. You can click a button and access every website important to your My Power Mall business - all coded with your MPM ID#! You can even pop in to the Member's Forum instantly. You'll also be able to do all the things you normally do with a Toolbar: Search the Internet, whitelists, and other options you can choose.

As My Power Mall continues to grow explosively, we will continue to give you cutting-edge technology to make it the most powerful opportunity on the Internet. Just follow the instructions below and you will have your Toolbar within seconds!

Install your MY POWER MALL toolbar

She claims that it took 4 years and $500,000 to create "MyPowerMall". Guess it's a little too late to ask for a refund...

-sfcom

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    If you do a search here, i think she defended herself on one of the threads. Maybe 3-4 months ago.

What I can tell you, her site looks 1000% better than her original site. Her old site looks like it was developed in the early 1990's.

It's basically a MLM marketing scheme and it is focused at getting all the online newbies to join that scheme.

"She claims that it took 4 years and $500,000 to create "MyPowerMall"" She had that statement since that old site.

Yeah, well, I still consider myself a newb and I ain't falling for it This is why I love ABW... so helpful!

I am a My Power Mall member and affiliate marketer of other programs. I am going to go out on a limb here, preparing for the backlash, and defend this situation. I thought joining was a no-brainer being that I have shopped mail order for well over half my life. I have been familiar with network marketing for about nine years. I have been familiar with affiliate marketing for about 3 years. So, my view will be in the context of these time frames.

Network marketing has gotten a bad rap over the years. I will even venture to say, deservedly so. In a nutshell, I think that it has the ability to be a viable method to push products as long as there are products to be pushed and not just recruiting of new people. In other words, if I just choose to be a distributor and have customers, as any successful business would have, I can make money.

Affiliate marketing is a fairly new concept that needs no upfront capital to promote products which makes it so attractive. However, you MUST learn how to advertise and market or you, and your business will die, bottom line. The majority of people just are not going to do what it takes to be successful in affiliate marketing because you have to commit to long hours and be a bit internet savvy to stay motivated. And I have seen affiliate programs that go deeper than two levels.

I think that My Power Mall has done something so simple it just doesn't look believable. Online malls have been around since the beginning of the internet and were usually PAST awful. Receiving rebates on your purchases is nothing new. Receiving commissions on purchases is nothing new. A pyramid structure, which is prevalent from government to corporate america to non-profits is nothing new. In this joint venture, they have been combined. It is ultimately a online rebate program with the opportunity to profit share with retailers that the majority of AFFILIATE MARKETERS promote.

Am I missing something?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekForeal
    However, you MUST learn how to advertise and market or you, and your business will die, bottom line. The majority of people just are not going to do what it takes to be successful in affiliate marketing because you have to commit to long hours and be a bit internet savvy to stay motivated.

Am I missing something?
    It's okay to mislead people who are not willing to commit long hours or are not internet savvy?
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    How can they say this is not affiliate marketing? All the links are CJ affiliate links from what I can see.

Perhaps not "spyware" since it acts no differently than an affiliate mkg site - they request that you "shop through your own mall site". Does this toolbar redirect shoppers? If so then it is spyware as well. If it does not redirect to the mall site or overwrites cookies, it is not functioning much different than an affiliate site. But it definitely is a PARASITE in that it is an incentive site giving it an unfair advantage over honest affiliates. Also, it will undercut affiliate's PPC in that shoppers using this application will always go to their own "mall" to make final purchases.

Another reason to stop promoting any new CJ merchants.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead

Perhaps not "spyware" since it acts no differently than an affiliate mkg site - they request that you "shop through your own mall site". But definitely a PARASITE in that it is an incentive site.
    Interesting perspective if you think all incentive sites are parasites. Would love to hear your definition of a parasite then.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    An incentive site has an advantage over other affiliates. Seems like a parasite to me.

That's why I have focused nearly all my new efforts to networks that don't allow them. It's hard enough on a level playing field.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Merely being an incentive site doesn't make it a parasite. Now if it's toolbar is up to no good, redirecting traffic, switching out links, that kind of thing, then it would be.

Who said that? I sure did not. Any business venture takes hard work. I have been involved with them offline as well as online. Anyone that has gotten a personal mall from me or a business mall from me, has never been mislead. I am going to benefit from this venture with or without them.

I focus on THE target market: online shoppers in all their forms. The majority of this group is savvy. It's just a fact. I strictly promote this opportunity as a rebate program as if I were the director with a shopping.com or a retailmenot.com or a pricegrabber.com or a nextag.com or a shopzilla.com or a lifehacker.com. I will gain revenue through customers, PERIOD.

I am very aware that tiers and levels and anything to do with recruiting is a turn off to the average person. The reason it is attractive for affiliates is that they understand the other side of the internet and you don't have to necessarily personally contact people that will put food in you and your family's mouth.

Hell, I encourage everyone I come in contact with to go to the sites I named. I don't lose. Go ahead, comparison shop, pick up your coupon codes then log into your mall for even more savings. I just don't see a problem but I am always open to just more than my point of view.

ABW Ambassador
    "The majority of this group is savvy."

Nobody using those malls are savvy. Maybe new, lost, looking to make some money online but not savvy. Savvy people would make the full commission, not a percentage of it. Their target market doesn't reside here.

I agree with you 100%. The percentage of users in this program are probably not internet savvy. However, in my opinion, a savvy user has the ability and potential to benefit from this service if he or she so chooses.

I will be first to say that I have not mastered affiliate marketing in it's purest sense and truest form, as I understand it, of having a site that deals with a niche and monitoring my keyword purchases and updating it with relevant content. I have about 2/3rd's of it down but I am deficient in a couple of areas and am progressively working on it day by day.

However, there is a large segment of the population that will never become great, or even, good affiliates. This program, in my opinion, has the ability to attract those on the bubble. They are not necessarily web masters, may not want to finagle with html or aren't good writers but are better than average at marketing and promotion. This is for them. Those that do well with cookie cutter situations.

We as an affiliate community may not condone or agree with it but it does not mean that that demographic is not as important and does not have the right to be served something that is comfortable for them to use on their path to multiple streams of income. I am under the impression that we are on the same side of this debate.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    An incentive site has an advantage over other affiliates. Seems like a parasite to me.
    Simply "having an advantage" is not parasitic. In fact, differentiation of methods is an overall good.

It's when people start to use sleazy techniques like Trust mentioned that it becomes parasitic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast