Angry Commission Junction dangerous website message
    Recently I added some affiliate links from Commission Junction merchants to my website. Within days my patrons emailed me to say that now when they used my website that their security software was popping up with dangerous website warning messages. This is the message that one of my patrons received:
    "WARNING: Dangerous WebSite
    You have attempted to open a dangerous Web site.
    Address: http://www.***********/image
    Credibility: Dangerous
    Category: Web Advertisement
    Suggestion: Close your web browser window and do not reopen this web site."

On further investigation I discovered that the offending address was a CJ 1-pixel tracking image which was part of a merchant text ad. I contacted CJ to ask what the consequences would be of removing the offending address. Here was their answer:
    "Unfortunately, we are on the black list as is every 3rd party affiliate marketing company for using cookies to track sales. If you take the pixel out, then you will not track sales. We have tried and tried to get on the white list but it has not happened yet. If you really want, you can tell them to either lower their security settings or turn off those 3rd party softwares they have."

Is this common knowledge or am I the only one who is shocked? Do CJ affiliates know about this? Do CJ merchants know? We will be removing CJ ads because we are finding that our patrons won't use our site if their security software says it is a dangerous website even if the sited url is only represented in an ad from a CJ merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, this is common knowledge. Trend Micro is one security software company doing it. Which one did you report?

Question Message was from Trend Micro PC-cillin
    Yes, at least one of the warning messages was from Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security.
    I am totally surprised that this warning message is common knowledge.

Do you know will using CJ Javascript ad-link code trigger the same warning message? I have looked at the Javascript code and I don't see any reference to the one pixel image but I don't know how the security software reacts to it and experimenting with it on my site will only make my patrons upset and I will lose more revenue.

ABW Ambassador
    To clarify, it's common knowledge to those who read this board as it's been reported here. If you search this CJ forum, you'll see a discussion regarding Trend Micro specifically within the past week or so. I'm not aware that this is occuring with other network affiliate links, regardless of what CJ told you.

Norton Internet Security blocked most all affiliate links for years until they were forced to stop when they started their own affiliate program. Miraculously, affiliate links were no longer bad!

I don't know if Javascript links trigger the warning.

ABW Ambassador
    why do you need to use 1x1 tracking pixel?.

You can wipe out the tracking pixel and it will not affect sales tracking. CJ person has been trained to bullshit you. The pixel is not related to the sales tracking function in any way. Many of us make a point of removing the pixels when we put our links up.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

So, if we erase all our CJ tracking pixels it won't be a problem? That's all that is causing the warnings to show up? Our link codes don't cause any problems?

What about the tracking pixels for other networks ... Performics? Linkshare?

but were the offending pixels contained in html or javascript links? I don't think you could remove them in the javascript links . . .

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    You can wipe out the tracking pixel and it will not affect sales tracking.
    Yes it's fine to exclude the pixel tracking, but the real problem here is that when the end user gets to the thank you page will the pixel there display? Won't the end user still get the same warning message? and if so will the sale track if the end user doesn't load the thank you page? I know I wouldn't load the thank you page if I get a warning tlike that.

Think about it!!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Viewing the Javascript code does not show the web-bug
    CJ tracks sales using what is called web bugs (that is a one pixel image used for tracking the display of a webpage)

When I grab an html text ad I see this as part of the link code:
    ***********/image-2660487-10413575" width="1" height="1"
    The URL that is being called is what is refernced as being the dangerous website when the security software is triggered.

When I look at the Javascript code by inserting the link into the browser address field, I do not see the the tracking image being called. Here is a sample of the javascript link code:
    ************/placeholder-2614758?target=_top&mouseover=N
    I was hoping someone knew if the javascript code would trigger the warning message in security software and not have to experiment with it on my site.

I assume most of them use DNS for such purposes, so IP address instead would probably work.
    E.g. www a f c y h f com is on 63 215 202 74 which should track OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Yes it's fine to exclude the pixel tracking, but the real problem here is that when the end user gets to the thank you page will the pixel there display? Won't the end user still get the same warning message? and if so will the sale track if the end user doesn't load the thank you page? I know I wouldn't load the thank you page if I get a warning tlike that.

Think about it!!
    Well then the most logical course of action would be to just simply remove CJ links and be done with it. Lord knows I'm game for that. And it feels good, too.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by options
    I assume most of them use DNS for such purposes, so IP address instead would probably work.
    E.g. www a f c y h f com is on 63 215 202 74 which should track OK.
    Yeah, but since cookies won't track across different domains, there's no point of displaying them at all if you have to use the IP. The user will end up with two different cookies - one from your site and one from the merchant's "thank you" page.

Quote Originally Posted by pasaapl
    Yeah, but since cookies won't track across different domains, there's no point of displaying them at all if you have to use the IP. The user will end up with two different cookies - one from your site and one from the merchant's "thank you" page.
    Cookie is domain related - AFAIK no cookie is stored/retrieved if an uri is approached using an IP address.
    So, everything should be correctly tracked, but no cookies will be stored, which could affect only your credits for further purchases of the client.

Anyway, regarding those leaving out the tracking pixel, it is a bit disturbing the post a CJ representative posted here some 3,5 years ago: http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=41

I am not sure if this was clarified in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by kaysmith
    "WARNING: Dangerous WebSite
    You have attempted to open a dangerous Web site.
    Address: http://www.***********/image
    Credibility: Dangerous
    Category: Web Advertisement
    How in the hell is a web advertisement DANGEROUS? And who uses Trend Micro anyway?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread