Hello -

I have a content site driving some traffic to the "sales portion" of the site. I was thinking that to make the sales site look more professional/legitimate,etc - to include in the navigation bar all of the links to the content pages from the sales pages.

I didn't do it initially because I was thinking "this may distract them from buying because they see all of this free content". Does anyone have any insight as to whether this even matters? I realize it depends on the site, but is there a way to generalize it a bit?

Danski

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You WILL lose some traffic to the content pages from the sales pages. Therefore, I wouldn't put links to *all* of them.

Most of my sites are sales sites, but I have some sales pages off the back of a gardening site. On the bottom of some of those pages, I have an itsy bitsy link to the front page of the content part (if they want more content they can go fish once they get to that section). Just an itty bitty Font Size 2, Default Font text link!

That link gets a 1% click through rate.

This is offset (for directly related products) by the people who seem to automatically think that the presence of that link means I know more about the products (judging by the CR). But if there was more than one link like that, or it was more prominent, I doubt I would get enough of a credibility boost to make up for the loss of traffic from the sales page.

As for why they automatically think that, who knows--since 99% of the people stay right on the sales page the ones actually buying things most likely do not even know what the content part looks like, let alone I've got to say in that section!

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

Leader , lot of "c*ntent" questions for you nowadays

"The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their Dreams."

KoGO:
    Now, now, no need to snicker at the expense of those of us who know more about content than Web building!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Hmmm..... you know, where I mix content and sales, only a TINY number of people who land on the sales pages go elsewhere, even though the navigation links are identical throughout the site.

I shouldn't worry about it too much.

Besides, if they like your content, they may come back and recommend it to their friends

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

If you're going to run a content site, then the content and sales pages both need to be good enough to stand alone by themselves. Period.

You just need to decide whether you're running a content site that sells stuff, a sales site with some content, or a combo of both. Your linking questions will be answered once you decide what your site is.

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

Hey guys -

Thanks for the input. With my specific site, the content pages and the sales pages, are not really dealing with exactly the SAME stuff...the sales pages are under the same theme as the content pages, but they are not quite selling the same types of product as what the content is about...

I think I may add a small link to the content, and see how that goes...

Thanks for the input.

Danski

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread