SAS top 100 merchants
    I was looking at the list trying to select new merchants for a site Iím building and I was trying to figure out how it was compiled.

Is it by average sale commission etc?

Then I came across this merchant (I'm not picking on this merchant other than the fact they were listed publicly).

Thrillist.com
    Books/Media

7 Day EPC
    $11.50
    30 Day
    $10.82

7 Day Avg. Sale
    $0.00
    30 Day
    $0.00

7 Day Avg. Commission
    $0.57
    30 Day

If that merchant makes the top 100 what is the criteria?

Or said another way what about the merchants that didn't make the top 100 are they doing any business?

Just how are they ranked?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    When you click the list, it tells you a little more about the metric - it's not a simple ranking system, there are several factors that go into it.

That's what I'm asking what are those factors?

I would have expected SAS to jump in and address this question.

It appears to me at this point that the top 100 is meaningless.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Dan367,

The merchant you listed runs a campaign based on leads... not sales. So their average sale number is going to be $0 because they don't sell anything in the program.

The list is made up of a whole bunch of factors, we don't release the actual formula because we tried to create a list that can't be "gamed" or fooled, etc... It isn't a perfect system but does a decent job of listing a bunch of solid merchants.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Dan i think its better to narrow down to ur category and then choose by epc and the overall performance and downtime factors. there are merchants who perform well and do not show up on that list sometimes
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Brian, I wasn't asking for you to give us your exact code, just a broad stroke idea of how it's organized.

Without knowing 1 or 2 parameters the list is worthless.

There are just too many differences between the listed merchants to make any sense of it. At least to me.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Dan,

Not sure I can give you an answer that you want... It is just an aggregate of all the "good" metrics that a program can have, with an adjustment for all of the "bad" ones.

Good could be conversion, epc, compliance, volume, average order, commissions, bonuses, historical performance, etc... and bad would include things like reversals, bad conversion, offline, etc...

Since the merchants there are all definitely different, you may find it better to use the advanced search and narrow it down by category first... The list can then be sorted by PowerRank and that might help you decide, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clyderose
    there are merchants who perform well and do not show up on that list sometimes
    True agree. EF I think would qualify and the sales and nummbers compared to others proof we perform well.

Brian, perhaps sas should make increase it to power rank higher or 200 since most may be just looking at those 100 only, not good since out of 2k merchants, and maybe missing out on the other good ones too, which I think also could hurt sas if you think about it.

Even though I can tell you of many, many who make sales everyday and don't even pay attention to that list.

Brian,

The other night I started going through the top 100 list and found something disconcerting. I went down the list one at a time checking each merchant's terms and PPC policies and did a Google search for each merchant's domain name (ex: domain.com).

I've not finished the entire list, but so far, 90%+ of the merchants I've checked on the top 100 list have affiliates doing direct to merchant PPC on "domain.com". Roughly half have posted PPC policies, yet none seem to have any reversals.

When I did a similar check of the new merchants list I found the same thing. Nearly all have affiliates bidding on the merchant's domain. The main difference between the new merchants list and the top 100 was that the new merchant list also includes a few merchants with horrible numbers. I posted an example in another thread of a merchant with an EPC over $400 in the negative!

These bad numbers all coincided with high reversal rates and posted policies against domain bidding.

I don't know what the bottom 100 list looks like, but with direct to merchant TM bidding so ubiquitous, I get the feeling that merchants who enforce posted policies are inadvertently being driven down the list, while those who ignore policy violations or choose to allow TM bids are being driven up the list.

Like I said, I've not finished the entire list. Am I jumping to conclusions that don't add up? In any case, the same affiliates seem to be bidding on merchant domains in violation of a whole lot of PPC policies...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    The list is what you make of it
    Notwhithstanding what Eathan said it seems lots of industries have metrics like this that no one really understands. Look at the quarterback rating in football, no regular fan really cares about it, all they care about is wins and losses. In the world of international finance there is the index of leading economic indicators, which I don't remember hearing for a while now.

It is enough to say that this is what the people at SAS consider important, if you agree then follow their recommendations, if not don't bother. In the long run it doesn't matter, all that matters is if you make money. For niche marketers or coupon markets it doesn't matter what the rating is if the merchant isn't in one's own niche or has coupons to promote.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread