Advice - Report dead merchants
    Brian, is it possible to add a "report dead merchant" button on the merchant's profile page? This will save a lot of time of your staff to find dead sites such as yourcellphonebooster, which are still listed as a merchant but even the domain has already been expired.

I like the idea of a button.

Geno

A button for affiliates to report dead merchants? That is just sad, that they cannot keep track of whether their clients are dead or alive.

This stuff does not make Shareasale look good at all. What is a prospective client to think when they see that stuff?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    A button for affiliates to report dead merchants? That is just sad, that they cannot keep track of whether their clients are dead or alive.

This stuff does not make Shareasale look good at all. What is a prospective client to think when they see that stuff?
    I think it's not easy to locate these dead merchants specially the old ones. I see nothing wrong if we (affiliates) help them about this by clicking a button as it will take only 2-3 seconds of our time. Usually affiliates are already spending their time by browsing and searching through the merchant programs so why not report any dead merchant if you found one? Instead of spending their time on searching these merchants, SAS stuff can spend thier time on improving other things...

This button will save both their time (they will locate them easily) and our time (the number of listed mercants will be less so it will be much more easier to find anything you want). I am sure that it will show it's effect in a few weeks and all dead merchants with expired domains will be cleared from SAS' database.

A dead merchant report button is a good idea.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I'm in total agreement with Mybest. In fact, I've floated this idea in multiple past postings. It is extremely difficult to keep track of websites that go down once the numbers go beyond about a certain point. I have one directory type site with close to 2500 individual website listings and so I can say from experience that if it wasn't for the help I get from visitors who "report dead links", I'd never keep it all under control. Sites come and go all the time.

The affilate network is a community that works best when we all work together. Dead merchants are something we see as we go about out daily routines so it only makes sense to have a quick & easy way to pass that info onto SAS. It saves them a lot of time, which they can then better devote to keeping SAS the #1 network, which means more $$ for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphiliac
    The affilate network is a community that works best when we all work together.
    Very good point Aphiliac. We need more positive comments that will improve things. It is not fair to wait everything from SAS' staff. They are already doing well by paying us every month just on time, right? Let's work together for even more better SAS.

ABW Ambassador
    "I think it's not easy to locate these dead merchants specially the old ones."

It's actually very easy. Last year I brought this up after going thru the $0 EPC merchants and finding nonexistent merchants available. Brian said:

"Thanks all - we actually do have a project about half completed going to review all merchants and take a look at items just like the above... It is very time consuming, but necessary - what you pointed out above is very helpful and i've bumped those to the front of the list to be removed. I didn't find lookforus.com though?"

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=12

Going back to how easy it is. I just spent a few minutes going thru the $0 EPC merchants. Just basic copy and pasting urls into an address bar and:

http://www.thelordsmall.com/

http://www.coralminerals.net/

Tell me what's wrong with those 2 merchants. One hasn't had a sale in 4 years. Now how many would I find if I went thru the whole list?

So this is something that can be very easily done. Put the urls into the browser. I can go thru the list in a day. I would zap the obvious ones like the 2 I just posted. And then with the rest of them, some it's pretty obvious why they're at $0, some others actually need to be tested. It can be done, it's just a matter of doing it.

"The affilate network is a community that works best when we all work together. "

That's part of what a network is supposed to do, police the programs in their network. And this goes back to entry into the network. If there isn't really any type of bar then it is what it is. Network has to take the first step in a thing like this.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Mybest and All,

I don't think it is a bad idea at all.

We do "cleaning" projects about 1nce per quarter or so, I just completed a project actually that involved removal of 75 or so dead domains and merchant programs, etc... We try to lean on the side of caution of course but most examples are pretty clear cut like the two that Trust mentioned above. Obviously I missed them both in my project so it is good for me when people let me know...

I'll see what I can do to have a "Report" button added or something similar.

Regarding how it looks, etc... I will agree that is our job and one that we need to improve on, but I also don't think it is wrong to create tools in order for everyone to help out. It is a much bigger job than is sometimes suggested and having affiliates report has always helped us with this one... I'm sure it will help even further with better tools to report, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thanks for supporting this idea, Brian! As you know, I've been working hard to identify "valid" SAS merchants to work with, but I don't always bother to send an email to notify you when I discover that a merchant appears to be defunct (fortunately, you know where my list is).

Giving affiliates a "button" might generate a lot of extra "pings" in your office, but the extra data will probably allow for more efficient management of this process.

I'm very pleased that when I updated my spreadsheet this week, I found about 250 merchants which were clearly designated as "Closed" by ShareASale. That figure only counts merchants whose programs I was enrolled in, so you might have changed the status of twice or thrice that many (my current list includes 830 merchants that I think are "defunct," but that includes some who have merely been "temporarily offline" for many weeks).

This is great progress in just the past 3 weeks!

I also applaud the other post-ThinkTank changes you've implemented (as discussed in the thread at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=98195). I've already set up a filter so the "changed program terms" emails are dropped into a separate email box, and I've been making great use of the new text box in the application form. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the feedback system works for merchants and affiliates.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread