Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Google has never been this volitile before
    OK, it's xmas and so placement is very very important, so I watch everyday. I've been doing the affiliate thing for many years and I suppose by watching google all this time I guess I'm an expert as to its habits at least when it comes to how it indexes my site. For years on end, my site would have excelent placement in google for about 10 months and two months, google would throw me a curve and I would ahve no placement. The first time it happened I freaked, would I ever get placement back. But after seeing it a few times, I learned to deal with it.

But once I got my placement back, it would stay that way for months. This year, it seems ever other week my placement would change. I don't mean a spot or 2, I mean on week I would have top 10 placement in my keywords, for 100s of terms, and then without warning, you couldn't find my site in the top 100 and then it would be back as if nothign had happened. Its not like I am making major changes to my site and google is rewarding me or penalizing me for what I have done. It seems quite random. It's actiually driving me nuts. Right now, as of this morning, my placement is back and I'm on a high, Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Right now all I want is placement as I have it today for 3 more weeks....Is that too much to ask for?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

ABW Ambassador
    Any free placements in google should be a bonus .. may be there this moment or may be not there next. Paid placements is the way to go if you don't want so much of unpredictability

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Ah yep Oranges - free placement is an ever changing landscape. If it's any consolation, I don't think your request that you have top free placement the next 3 weeks is too much to ask.

Let me know what G says when you submit your request!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Could you put in a word for my sites too?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Here is what I think about that...

If G is indeed focused on bringing the best, most relevant search results, then a site should definitely stay in the top 10 for more than a couple of days. If I search for "big dog collars", then I should see sites that sell or promote big dog collars on a regular basis. That sales copy should also be regularly updated on those sites. Sometimes in the top 10 results I will instead see sites that were just not meant to be there. For instance, NY Times or Dog Dog Magazine writing about "big dog collars" as a reason why there is a growing stray dog population. Of course, G should recognize what is a product term and provide relevant top 10 listings just for that term. But, no perfect world exists and they have been doing this search thing for a long time...so I am just going to have to trust they have this game figured out.

-sfcom

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    G has a habit of looking for relevent content from the strongest overall sites .. not necessarily the strongest niche site.

While I want to choke them sometimes I'm amazed they get it right as often as they do. In myopinion they certainly produce more logical results that Yahoo, Live or the others.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a merchant -- a very big, well known, been-around-since-forever merchant -- who told me that they had also lost their placement in Google for most of their keywords. Apparently this isn't just a problem for affiliate sites. I'm curious if other merchants have experienced the same thing.

Quite sometime ago near the start of Google and decent search results it was touted as something of a 'bookmark killer' i.e. you would no longer have to bookmark good sites, your favourites and the best sites would just pop up in the search results. Now a good site can be in and out of the SERPS in days or even hours, and with the plethora of tagging, bookmarking, link sharing and social networking sites it makes me think it's probably worth almost as much effort looking into these areas. That along with the junk that sometimes seems to creep in to search results.

Yae , If you seeth a web-syte you shalt liketh, bookmark it just now, for in thy SERPS it may be goneth tomorrow. Or in the next 23 hours.
    markschok 23:12

I've been seeing some very fickle behavior from Google as well. Near the end of October my traffic increased to around 6x my normal levels. Then all of a sudden on Black Friday it dropped to around 2x and it was up to 10x the next day. After a few days it dropped back down to around 2x and stayed that way for 3-4 days. But now I'm back up to around 7x my normal traffic levels. Never seen such huge changes over such a short amount of time. All I ask for is enough press and viral traffic to ignore this roller coaster ride!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by markschok
    Quite sometime ago near the start of Google and decent search results it was touted as something of a 'bookmark killer' i.e. you would no longer have to bookmark good sites, your favourites and the best sites would just pop up in the search results. Now a good site can be in and out of the SERPS in days or even hours, and with the plethora of tagging, bookmarking, link sharing and social networking sites it makes me think it's probably worth almost as much effort looking into these areas. That along with the junk that sometimes seems to creep in to search results.

Yae , If you seeth a web-syte you shalt liketh, bookmark it just now, for in thy SERPS it may be goneth tomorrow. Or in the next 23 hours.
    markschok 23:12
    I'll ad an Amen to that!

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I used to have about 600 pages indexed on one of my sites. For the last month or so, Google has started un-indexing those pages. I now have 230 of them indexed. Not sure what happened to the other 400 pages.

Looks like Google is still at it. They keep surprising me with copious amounts of traffic. This is the 3rd or 4th surge this month after a rollercoaster ride ranging from hundreds to thousands of extra visitors per day. I'm certainly not complaining though, it's all just icing on the cake

- Scott

I think Google may have Alzheimers. I don't see any other logical reason why it loses 300 pages in the index from one day to another.

Exclamation Google Loves Relevant Links
    You MUST get links from relevant sites. That's that bottom line for the Google robot. If you own a site about purple you need to get links from websites or at least on webpages that talk about purple . That link is more valuable then 10 on a non-related subject.

Don't spam the engines, they will figure you out. Don't put your link all over blog comments, that's suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I think Google may have Alzheimers. I don't see any other logical reason why it loses 300 pages in the index from one day to another.
    Sometimes I'll lose 100,000 pages only to gain them back a couple weeks later.

- Scott

Exactly. I am stumped by the logic on how or why that happens. Number of pages indexed drops and gos back, then drops and goes back, then drops and goes back. Well, you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Exactly. I am stumped by the logic on how or why that happens. Number of pages indexed drops and gos back, then drops and goes back, then drops and goes back. Well, you get the idea.
    I don't really pay much attention to this though. Sometimes when my indexed pages are down my traffic is up. Traffic volume is all that really matters to me.

- Scott

You guys may be dealing with a duplicate content issues that google is not liking. Not duplicate content from other sites, but your own. Let me explain.

Your site has a template, left nav, top nav, footer. You need to total the number of characters from your template, say it's 250 characters. Now, how many characters do you have in just the body of your page? If it's less than 250 then google will at times consider that a duplicate page of any other page on your site that has less than 250 charcters in the body of a page.

Their is not enough "real content" for google to consider that a different page, so it's stamped a duplicate. This happens alot when you have pages with just a picture of a product, price, and a small or no description for your product. The code is almost identical among your pages. To google, your code looks virtually the same amoung your pages.

If this is the case you'll need to write unique copy for each of your pages. Fun!

Your site has a template, left nav, top nav, footer. You need to total the number of characters from your template, say it's 250 characters.
    Are you counting the characters in your html code in this theory? As <head></head> = 13 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by shopsat24seven
    You guys may be dealing with a duplicate content issues that google is not liking. Not duplicate content from other sites, but your own.
    I don't think that's it in my case. I'm still getting traffic regardless, but it's just a matter of how much. I think it's just part of the normal ebb and flow of Google and has a lot to do with incoming links and site strength. I've been experiencing this for years except now it's happening at a much more accelerated pace. One idea I have is that Google is giving more traffic to more frequently updated sites. Speed, currency and accessibility seem to be a major part of it. Lately Google seems to love extremely current and up to the minute pages.

- Scott

No, don't count the html, just the characters you can see.

Here's a video explaining it all, it's very clear, kinda long but worth the watch.
    It explains some work arounds too, like using images in some areas of your template because then it reduces your "template character count", cause google can't read image text.

http://www. stompernet.net/gn2/?vid=2

Edited to add: http://www. stompernet.net/?vid=2 works also so it appears that the gn2 directory indicates an affiliate link, any attempt to post an affiliate link in the future will result in an IP bann.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; January 9th, 2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Affiliate URL

I was surprised to discover this month that one of my brand-spanking-new web sites, which currently consists solely of pages of PopShops product listings, was quickly indexed by Google, and several pages appeared in the first page of results for the relevant search terms!

I discovered this because I noticed multiple "non-AdWords" visits referred by Google for each of several pages. (Nobody bought anything, alas.) I ran searches on those product names at Google, and sure enough, my page got positions in the "second five" results for each keyword (that is, they appeared on the first page of results, but never in the top 5 positions -- but these are keywords that generate 20,000+ results).

Alas, that was just one day, and in the subsequent days there has been no organic traffic, and these pages no longer appear in the first page of results on Google.

I registered this domain and created these particular pages specifically as "landing pages" for PPC activity, and never imagined that they'd actually earn decent organic placement at Google. I suspect that the indexing algorithms ran first, adding me to the index, and then the various filters and ranking algorithms ran next, identifying the content as duplicate, or perhaps imposing a ranking penalty for the PopShops content or the affiliate links embedded therein, thus forfeiting high placement in results.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Alas, that was just one day, and in the subsequent days there has been no organic traffic, and these pages no longer appear in the first page of results on Google.
    Did you only update the page once? I suspect it may have been removed because the page didn't change from one day to the next. Google seems to love very dynamic pages.

- Scott

Disagree with paid placements
    Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    Any free placements in google should be a bonus .. may be there this moment or may be not there next. Paid placements is the way to go if you don't want so much of unpredictability
    The more people that enter the online space the greater competition in the PPC area gets. I am close friends with marketers who handle $250K+monthly budgets and after extreme optimization on Google PPC are seeing dwindling returns over time as the space gets more competitive in the last 3 years.

Organic traffic + a better customer experience is always your best bet if you know what you're doing weather it be in electronics or fresh oranges from Florida.

Don't push your luck #florida oranges. If you're here to promote your site, you can exit now. If you'd like to become a valued member of the community, join into the discussion without subtle product hints.

X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast