why does this happen with google adwords?
    I just made a campaign and put in some extremley random keywords and I get the message from google that i need to set the min for each word to $10.

Anyone have any ideas on why this would happen?

Thanks,
    Matt

Your minimum bid is based on a "Quality Score" that looks at several different factors including the relevancy of the keyword. The best place to start learning about it is http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...y?answer=10215

After you've read that, you'll probably have some more detailed questions.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Here's a bigger picture look at it...

G makes the vast majority of their money from their PPC Ads, billions of dollars. It's their money maker. For it to continue to make money, people need to keep clicking those ads. If they let people advertise irrelevant, low quality stuff - people may stop clicking on the ads. They won't endanger their money making machine, so they must force advertisers to present quality websites / experiences that are very relevant to what is being searched for. G could just take your irrelevant or low quality stuff offline and not show it, disapprove it so to speak -or- they can make it painfully expensive and motivate you to do better. They chose the latter.

They do raise the worst stuff's required minimum bid so high that it does preclude you from entering the auction and your ad won't show at all. But they simultaneously send you the required min bid info... which makes you think... and you end up here... and you realize what you need to do to avoid it.

There is good news though, on this scale of things, it means if you're very focused, your costs go way down compared to everyone else. It lets us little guys compete with the big guys. Give the customer what they want and G will love you, they don't favor particular companies, but instead, they favor those who serve the consumer's needs. In the old days of advertising, the bigger your budget, the more you could control the market - and little guys basically couldn't play. That's all been done away with and targeted marketing is now overflowing from the Internet into other media channels, so the little guy's opportunities are continuing to grow.

So your $10 min bid is a sign of all of this happening and it's also a carrot leading you to where you can do best.

Take G's min bid as advice, not an insult - and learn from it. Be somebody, be relevant.

Stop adding unfocused words to your adwords account, they keep a history and punish unfocused marketing behavior. But no worries, there's a built-in logarithmic time-decay and G soons disregards your past errors - and they will reward you with lower bids (and a better resultant ROI) as you improve your focus going forward.

Have fun and good luck!

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Good answer Donuts. Kinda wish I had said it first : )
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Excellent post and spot on advice Donuts. That's the kind of information that makes this forum a great experience for folks like Matt.

Matt, from your post it's apparent that you are entering a new learning curve. Stick with it, follow the advice the big guy shared with you here, and do a lot of reading. G offers a tremendous amount of information that can help you change the $10 Google Shuffle to the "hey I'm making a great ROI" family!

Speaking from personal experience, it has been a long learning curve, a lot of research, reading, asking questions, trial and error etc. It does all come together provided you stick with it and apply the effort. Best of luck to you Matt. :-)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Excellent post and spot on advice Donuts. That's the kind of information that makes this forum a great experience for folks like Matt.

Matt, from your post it's apparent that you are entering a new learning curve. Stick with it, follow the advice the big guy shared with you here, and do a lot of reading. G offers a tremendous amount of information that can help you change the $10 Google Shuffle to the "hey I'm making a great ROI" family!

Speaking from personal experience, it has been a long learning curve, a lot of research, reading, asking questions, trial and error etc. It does all come together provided you stick with it and apply the effort. Best of luck to you Matt. :-)
    It does take a while to figure the PPC thing out, so don't get discouraged, Matt. One good place to start is to look through the landing page you're trying to advertise. Make sure you have a lot of descriptive, keyword-rich copy on your landing page. Then take the most descriptive and detailed keywords and keyword phrases from that page and work them into your ad campaign, the more detailed the better.

If you're trying to sell widgets and in particular you want to push the Red Widget Model A, use longer and more targeted keywords like "red widget model a". Be careful using more generic terms like "widget" or even "red widget" because they might bring you traffic, but they won't convert as well and there is bound to be more competition for them.

And most important of all!!! Read all about PPC advertising on ABW. That's where I picked up most of my knowledge about it.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    If you're trying to sell widgets and in particular you want to push the Red Widget Model A, use longer and more targeted keywords like "red widget model a". Be careful using more generic terms like "widget" or even "red widget" because they might bring you traffic, but they won't convert as well and there is bound to be more competition for them.

And most important of all!!! Read all about PPC advertising on ABW. That's where I picked up most of my knowledge about it.
    So true. A year ago I was using very generic terms and getting hundreds of clicks but few conversions. After reading everything that I could find here on PPC (thanks Donuts) I eliminated all of my generic terms and bid more long tale keywords like Meadowmufn suggests. The result; my click costs have gone down considerably, where I was paying up to .80 for a keyword I'm now paying more in the .10 to .15 range. My clicks have gone down considerably but my conversion rate has gone up dramatically. Bottom line is that I'm spending a lot less and making a lot more.

Take a look at your landing pages and try to imagine what users might search for, avoid single word keywords as much a s possible and use more descriptive keywords. Use tools like Wordtracker to help find some of the hidden keyword gems and create large lists of keywords. Where before I was bidding a few dozen keywords, I'm now bidding hundreds. I may not get as many clicks on "small blue plastic widget" as I did on "widget", but my chance of conversion is much higher and I didn't pay as much for the click.

And take Meadowmufn advice and read everything you can find here on PPC. There's enough information on ABW on the subject to give you a real education.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Great advice here. You can be robbed by Google if you go about your PPC campaigns haphazardly and without preparation. So learn as much as your time permits by reading, experimenting, and asking questions when you have them. Use the testing and analytical tools Google provides to help you out in figuring out what works best.

thanks for all your help guys!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    You can be robbed by Google if you go about your PPC campaigns haphazardly and without preparation.
    I prefer to think of it as an expensive education, but you can burn through money so quickly that it can definitely feel like you got taken.

:-)

Lots of good comments here.

mweidner2782, you can see your Quality Scores if you turn it on. Just visit the Keywords page in an Ad Group. Where it says, "Customize Columns" click on Show Quality Score.

There is some kind of bug in the Quality Score spider algorithm because I have seen several situations where the landing page is highly relevant, very strongly focused on the keyword phrase and was receiving clicks, yet Google rated the page as Poor and raised the minimum bid.

Here is the real scary part. I was going through the Google video tutorials for AdWords last weekend. There is a quiz that states, "A poor performing keyword can affect the Quality Score for an entire group or campaign." The correct answer is True.

You need to check the Quality Scores.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

I've seen the opposite, when a worst page of all was ranked higher in AdWords than its competitors, being purely an affiliate page with no value and no design, it looked like it's from 1993.
    But what amazed me even more, a DTM affiliate link was placed in the top position above the organic results, and so noone else could use DTM for the same keywords, and there were at least 60 other ads for those keywords. And that's when just to be on the 1st page I'd have to pay more than $5 (with excellent quality score - my min allowed bet was 6 cents)!!! And that link stayed there for weeks... Unless it was Bill Gates fooling around.

being a less experienced advertiser (I still don't consider myself an affiliate yet), my PPC model is still upside down.
    I am directing traffic from 4 domains with content to about 20 domains that are cashparked with my hosting service. things are going slow, but good returns per click off the parked sites when hit. I put up some youtube video content with some increased traffic to my landing domains. I haven't done any true affiliate link placement because I am still familiarizing myself with CJ and others (my dayjob is fun I guess). Thanks for all the advice above.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread