Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Things That Move In The Night
    I had a funny experience this morning that I thought I'd share.

Ellen and I have a little ranch up here in the mountains at 8,200 ft. For years we have had horses and took a lot of rides together on hundreds of miles of trails and Nat'l forest land that surround our place. Last year we finally decided to hang up our saddles as we are in FL 3 -4 months each winter and did not want to be tied down any more.

That decision made, we sold the horses last fall. This morning, as I was getting ready to head down to our local morning gathering spot for a Red Bull, I looked back into the corral and noticed that my archery target, which I keep in the barn was mysteriously outside the barn. I wondered what the heck was going on, so I strolled back to check it out.

As I neared the barn, I also noticed that the two metal frames for my two single man pontoon boats were outside the barn on the ground? That really puzzled me. Then as I got near the front stall, where I store alfalfa and grass hay, I had to chuckle.

Surrounding the front of the stall were piles of Elk poop everywhere!! Inside the barn, at last 60% of my hay bales had been attacked, broken up and devoured! Seems the local Elk have been coming into the corral every night and spending the evening as my dinner guests! Guess they like the indoor dining experience on cold nights!

I have wondered the past several weeks why my dogs have been barking like mad in the early morning hours, and this morning I finally found out. LOL So now I have placed a couple bales nearer to the house so I can observe them in the early morning hours as I work on my computer. Makes for a great work environment... I'll post some pics as they occur but just wanted to share the moment today.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Can you get some video? Think that would be cool.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    *LOL*

Speaking of elk, this morning we had one literally wander into town.

We ran up to take a picture for our newspaper because it was in front of the courthouse.

Sadly, the DNR could not round it up and they had to put it down.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Those hay bales are heavy. Maybe the Elk did you a favor!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Elk?!? Very cool. I've never seen one in the wild. We have deer and we see them constantly (a family group beds down in the pine woods on our property). We also have moose in the vicinity but I haven't seen one of them yet although a juvenile showed up at my husband's workplace last summer. I'm pretty sure I saw a baby bear a few weeks ago but it was in the woods and hard to make out what it was. We also get turkey and quail and herons and hawks. It can be a lot of fun living in the woods!

Is it legal to feed elk in Colorado? In NY it's against the law to feed deer.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    That is really neat, though perhaps you'd best admonish them to pick up after themselves! Saw the strangest thing some time ago at my mom's house, an albino deer. Strange!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Get yer butt down here to Fla, trade those elk for some snook... if snook invade your home, you can invite them for dinner. :-)

Cool story! I am thinking though, since the elk are breaking out the archery gear and the pontoon boats... maybe they're practicing up for some spear fishing... a site I'd truly like to see. Think you may need some bigger pontoons though...

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    *LOL* Sadly, the DNR could not round it up and they had to put it down.
    They put down an ELK because they could not round it up???? What?? I have seen bears put down (they pose a danger to humans) but an elk? Was this in dowtown NYC where they never see elk? I can't fathom the need to put an elk down for wandering into town - it's not like they attack people or anything. Oh well....
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Get yer butt down here to Fla, trade those elk for some snook... I am thinking though, since the elk are breaking out the archery gear and the pontoon boats... maybe they're practicing up for some spear fishing...
    Could be, but I'm more inclined to think that they are just trying to sabotage my fishing and hunting equipment. They're a cold - heartless bunch. I could tell you stories that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up or cause you to need a change of undies! They are no doubt part of the local "EM" Family up here. The sound of their name wreaks fear on us locals.

The Elk Mafia is well known in these parts. They run protection scams on us locals all the time. It can get pretty ugly, so I'm bracing for that inevitable knock on the door at 5 a.m. threatening my corral and equipment if I don't pay up or setting a monthly hay quota I have to meet.

You're right though, I am going to have to hightail it to FL for a few months until this whole thing cools off. Kinda keep it on the down low if you get my drift!! LOL

C'Ya soon - so start working out NOW!!

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    That would be great if you could get a pic =] Too cool!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Are they good eating?

oooh I've never seen an elk before, I agree that it's hard to see how one would harm anybody, tho that they'd have to do that. Definitely am no elk expert, tho. lol
    oooooooh Rhea I envy you sooooo much getting to see the deer. I haven't gotten to see any for quite some time.......and really oooooooh bout the baby bear. Definitely never gotten to see one of them. Strangely enough I do see the herons and hawks. I'm definitely in a residential area and you'd never have seen them before but now it's not so uncommon.

Some moose relatives of Alan's elk friends...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/moosemount.asp

Funny story and I'm looking forward to some pics and vids! I never get to see any wildlife in my parts, nothing but hummingbirds, bunnies and coyotes.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Talk about spotting wildlife... we had a confirmed Scooter sighting here in Central Florida last week.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    The joy of living in COLORADO...
    Talk about spotting wildlife... we had a confirmed Scooter sighting here in Central Florida last week.
    I can attest to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    The joy of living in COLORADO...
    I can attest to that.
    A truly unique beast, those Scooters. They occasionally migrate toward FL during the fall rutting season. Though normally a friendly species, they have been known to return to their inborn wild instinct given the right circumstances, such as sports bars or large gatherings in hotel lounges. The wildlife people list them as a threatened species, so count yourself lucky that you spotted one!

Some moose relatives of Alan's elk friends...http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/moosemount.asp
    Too funny D. Moose are known to have very poor eyesight, that's a fact. But this guy is far beyond that! Great pics - hopefully I can catch the Elk partying in the corral next rutting season.

BTW, this morning I made my way slowly and quietly toward the hay barn around 6:15, and sure enough when I got about 30' away, out came a spike bull (spike is a male with one point on each side of his rack) and a young cow!! They are turning my barn into a brothel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    BTW, this morning I made my way slowly and quietly toward the hay barn around 6:15, and sure enough when I got about 30' away, out came a spike bull (spike is a male with one point on each side of his rack) and a young cow!! They are turning my barn into a brothel!!
    Set up a webcam and charge a subscription!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread