Are banner ads no good at all?
    I am currently building my first affiliate marketing website.

I have read that the best way to point people to sites you're affiliated with is to include text links within the content for them to click on.

I have heard that this is the best way to get more clicks and better conversions.

Some say NO BANNER ADS period. Should I not use any banner ads at all and just stick with text links within my content or should I mix it up a bit?

Thanks,

Jim

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Banners ads can be good in places. Depends on your site design. Sometimes, breaking up a lot of text with a banner ad works well. I use mostly text ads though.

Any designers care to comment?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

http and a telephoto
    Banner ads help give visual content and have their place when not overused. Usually it is best to use a banner in conjunction with a text link below it, and the text link will get the click, making it look like the banner is ineffective, when in reality the banner drew the shopper's eye.

It's all about balance and what looks good blended into your content.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I agree that it depends on the type of site you have. If your site is text oriented then text links will probably work best as that is what your visitors are looking for -- words. If like me your sites are more oriented toward pictures then showing a picture of the product is more likely to induce a click.

You need to consider if the banners add some value to your site: are the banners relevant to your topic? Do they add any information that would interest your visitors/customers? Are the banners decorative and designed in a tasteful manner?

Often AMs will have coupon information written upon banners, I find that helpful.

Banners with hyper animation or banners that expand to block the viewer's entire browser page are annoying and should be avoided.

Use banners for decoration/information sparingly
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks for the responses.

I was reading 'The Affiliate Masters Course' by Site Build It and they were firmly against any banner ads, so I thought I would ask.

My site will have some pictures, but will mostly provide information. I think I am leaning towards very few, if any, banner ads at this point and maybe add some in sparingly later on and see how they do.

Other than dispersing text links in within my content and a very few banners, what other techniques could I employ to get more clicks from my site? I don't want to over do it.

Thanks again,

Jim

Kontera might be a possibility
    http://www.kontera.com/default.aspx
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Use both where appropriate. Text links work much better when you are building a content-based site. You more like an authority and not a peddler. But both have their place.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Thanks for the Kontera link Rhia. I think I may give that a shot once I get things up and running.

Jim

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I've never sold anything via a banner click, but banners at least draw the visitors attention into the content (credit: loxly)

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    What makes a good banner...
    I think a banner is like any kind of marketing communication... If it's good it works if it's not it doesn't.

I think many banners you see are just not very good marketing. They're not used in the correct context for the audience. They don't fit in visually with the rest of the site. But most of all they don't provide value for the site visitor.

It's not just about catching someone's eye. It's about catching someone's emotions. And ultimately about providing a solution to a need or problem.

Good one's create what is called a "knowledge gap." A knowledge gap creates curiosity and interest because it makes people want to fill the "gap" in their understanding. It creates an "itch that needs to be scratched". It creates a sense of urgency.

Often they pose a question or suggests a solution to a problem that practically compels the viewer to click-through to learn more. It does that both visually AND with words.

What happens next is also important...

The landing page must deliver on the implied value that the banner suggests. A big cause of banner blindness in my opinion is the poor experience that visitors have had with banners in the past. They just don't deliver on the hype.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick - SiteSell
    I think a banner is like any kind of marketing communication... If it's good it works if it's not it doesn't.

I think many banners you see are just not very good marketing. They're not used in the correct context for the audience. They don't fit in visually with the rest of the site. But most of all they don't provide value for the site visitor.

It's not just about catching someone's eye. It's about catching someone's emotions. And ultimately about providing a solution to a need or problem.

Good one's create what is called a "knowledge gap." A knowledge gap creates curiosity and interest because it makes people want to fill the "gap" in their understanding. It creates an "itch that needs to be scratched". It creates a sense of urgency.

Often they pose a question or suggests a solution to a problem that practically compels the viewer to click-through to learn more. It does that both visually AND with words.

What happens next is also important...

The landing page must deliver on the implied value that the banner suggests. A big cause of banner blindness in my opinion is the poor experience that visitors have had with banners in the past. They just don't deliver on the hype.

Just my opinion.
    Thanks for the well thought out anwser to my question! I can see how it would be good for someone as new as me to not use banners at all until I understood what a "good" banner is. I think I'll run it by the folk's on this site before I put one on my webpage just to make sure, before I ever use one.

I have another question about landing pages, but I think I will start a new thread for it because it is a completely different topic.

Thanks again Rick, the free Ebook has helped me quite a bit so far.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    You're welcome Jim. We've got lots of other free E-books too. Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread