SEO - How long until the search engines index me...
    I have heard that it would take several weeks for Google to get around to indexing my site.

Is this true?
    Do Yahoo, Ask.com & Live Search work the same way?
    Do I need to submit my site to the search engines?

Sorry so many questions

Jim

They may index your Home page in a few weeks but it will take a lot longer to get your whole site indexed. I would try Google & Yahoo Site maps.

Another way to get index faster is to have good sites link to your site.

Good Luck

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Focus more on building a good SEO foundation rather than timing. Yahoo and Live had a tendency to get you in their indexes more quickly but all of it takes time. Actually you should be grateful it takes time so once you have built your solid foundation an upstart will not overpower you immediately.

This is a slow process not a sprint unfortunately.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Good point about the upstarts overpowering my site.

I don't have a problem with it taking some time. I was just going to see where I was ranked, but I'm still so new I haven't been found anywhere yet.

That's okay because my site is not completely ready yet. I have just been updating it everytime I made changes to it so it can be indexed as I build it.

Simply add your URL (with link) to a busy forum signature. It will be indexed quickly...

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Remember it takes more than just getting indexed to get traffic. If your goal is a page 1 listing in the SERPs you'll need lots of content for the SEs to index (50 to 100 pages in some cases). You'll want to get a lot of "off page" criteria the SEs love like back links from other good sites in your niche, and inbound links from articles, forums, etc.

That's all assuming that you did your research up front and know that your niche is not too competitive and your keywords/content are in demand by searchers.

Here's an outline of a process you can follow to make a successful site...

Creating a plan and then working that plan is important.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    You don't need to use any paid service to get indexed. I started a new site this week and I was getting organic Google search results registering in Analytics in only ONE day. How? I used a site map submission plugin.
    Submit your sitemaps to Google and if your content has decent keywords you'll show up in a matter of days.

Need to complete site before trying to Rank Well
    …my site is not completely ready yet. I have just been updating it everytime I made changes to it so it can be indexed as I build it.
    If a lot of your site is still under construction you may want to wait before trying to get it indexed. Search engines don’t like site’s that are partially built, have broken links, under construction signs, etc. Trying to gain rankings this way is counterproductive and may actually do you more harm than good.

Like Visitourmall says:
    Focus more on building a good SEO foundation rather than timing.
    That’s sound advice!

Yes, it's true that no website is ever completely finished but the core of your site needs to be done. No broken links, no under construction pages, etc.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Great point G-Web Services! Wait till you have something the SEs can sink their teeth into.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    How? I used a site map submission plugin.
    If you wouldn't mind sharing, what is that plugin? Is it a wordpress one or something else?

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    sure, There might be other plugins, but I've been using the Google XML Sitemaps plugin.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, it sounds good. Thanks.

No Longer Banned!
    .Tar.gz Instrad of .exe ?....
    [QUOTE=Rick - SiteSell]Remember it takes more than just getting indexed to get traffic. If your goal is a page 1 listing in the SERPs you'll need lots of content for the SEs to index (50 to 100 pages in some cases). You'll want to get a lot of "off page" criteria the SEs love like back links from other good sites in your niche, and inbound links from articles, forums, etc.

Here's an outline of a process you can follow to make a successful site...

/QUOTE]

Rick

Any chance you can also offer this in a .tar file ?

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Try bookmark your page with digg. Search Engine will index your pages soon.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    sure, There might be other plugins, but I've been using the Google XML Sitemaps plugin.
    Have you seen the other SE's respond to this at all? I added the plugin to a wordpress site on Monday, and while google has been by, I haven't seen any other bots. So just curious.

And it is set for them in the options.

Having a blog on your site, or linked to your site is a good way to get indexed. You can use PinGoat to ping a number of services when you make a new blog post, at: http://pingoat.com/ as the SE's love seeing new and changing content.

Social bookmarking. Sites like Digg, Reddit, Furl, etc. get crawled all the time and adding your site to these should reduce the time it takes for your site to get indexed. They also allow you to link deep, as apposed to directories and many other forms of free linking. I personally have had a website indexed within a couple of hours by doing this, definately worth a look. You could also post a listing at one of the big classified sites like gumtree, these get crawled as frequently as many of the social bookmarking sites and should be as effective.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread