More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Fraudulent Purchases?
    I just had a $48 commission reversal on a huge shoe order from Mason Shoes. I am wondering if it perhaps was a fraudulent order. It was a huge shoe order.

Any merchants seeing fraud activity like this?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Maybe it Returned Merchandise ... shoes dont fit with buyer's size

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead

Any merchants seeing fraud activity like this?
    It's certainly the season for it but as Affnice said, could have been a return.

Wanna know what makes me craziest in this business? - That we affiliates will never know for sure what exactly goes on st the merchant end. Once our visitor clicks, it's out of our hands and there is zero transparency. /rant
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

What I find fishy about this is that the order must have consisted of at least several different pairs (3 or 4) of shoes as I doubt much that one pair would have made up the near $500 order. So it is unlikely that all did not fit right, although possible.

Personally, I would never order shoes online. I can hardly get a pair to fit right trying on numerous pairs in the store.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I have had several shoe sales over 1k and 90% of the time the entire sale gets reversed. These occurences are typically always from fraudulant credit card purchases. To see a smaller portion of a large sale reversed, I would suspect a simple return for one of many possible reasons..... size, color, defect, or just a simple change of mind.
    The best things in life are not things at all...

I've actually had quite a bit lately. I even had one merchant cut me from their program because they said that too many fraudulent orders were coming through my links. Around half of the transactions were deemed to be from fraud. The AM admitted that it was not my fault but said that he could not afford to keep me on board because it cost them too much to process and reverse the fraudulent transactions.

This was unfortunate for me. I had devoted an entire site to them and had finally started getting some decent search engine results, and therefore sales. Now I am having to go through the site and find suitable replacements for categories that were geared toward the merchant who dropped me.

I guess it might not be such a good idea to build a whole website around one particular merchant, although that has certainly worked for me in the past.
    :warning: If we don't get some cool rules ourselves.... pronto... then we'll just be bogus too..

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Collier
    I guess it might not be such a good idea to build a whole website around one particular merchant, although that has certainly worked for me in the past.
    Been there. Won't do it again either.

Thanks for all the replies. The shoe orders were probably fraudulent since the entire orders were reversed rather than part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Collier
    I've actually had quite a bit lately. I even had one merchant cut me from their program because they said that too many fraudulent orders were coming through my links. Around half of the transactions were deemed to be from fraud. The AM admitted that it was not my fault but said that he could not afford to keep me on board because it cost them too much to process and reverse the fraudulent transactions.

This was unfortunate for me. I had devoted an entire site to them and had finally started getting some decent search engine results, and therefore sales. Now I am having to go through the site and find suitable replacements for categories that were geared toward the merchant who dropped me.

How about trying to re-work your site so to decrease the amount of fraud coming from it. Maybe something like (maybe a little less obvious):
    "To make you shopping experience easy and secure, all orders at MERCHANT_NAME are thoroughly checked for accuracy with financial institutions".
    + images that will dissuade "frauders" (locks+safe+FBI?..etc...).

Then ask the merchant if that helped...

Cheers,

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delsol
    How about trying to re-work your site so to decrease the amount of fraud coming from it. Maybe something like (maybe a little less obvious):
    "To make you shopping experience easy and secure, all orders at MERCHANT_NAME are thoroughly checked for accuracy with financial institutions".
    + images that will dissuade "frauders" (locks+safe+FBI?..etc...).

Then ask the merchant if that helped...

Cheers,
    Good idea and if that's the only merchant showing fraud purchases, use that line only for their links. ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Not a bad idea, "beware of dog" philosophy.

Good ideas. I might try to work some standard wording into all my pages as a template and just mix up the verbiage to keep the search engines happy.

I thought that maybe the merchant had some way of checking where these fraudulent orders came from. If CJ was able to pass that info to them then maybe they would see that it was just one individual who was causing the problems and then they could just wait until the fraudster stopped their tricks and then they wouldn't need to just completely drop me from their program.

I've heard that this is a wide spread problem, especially this time of year.

When I was corresponding with the merchant AM, he told me that some affiliates submit fraudulent orders in hopes that the order will go through and they will get a commission. He said that some AM's don't pay close enough attention to individual orders and so the affiliate gets a commission even on fraudulent orders. That seemed a little fishy to me. I can't imagine that a merchant could stay in business very long if they were giving commissions when they weren't due.

In the end he assured me that he was not accusing me of trying to do that but that he simply couldn't keep paying his people to process my fraudulent orders. In the end there were 10 orders overall, 5 were normal and went through and 5 were deemed to be fraudulent. This was over a 12 day period. I think that he probably could have given it a little more time but apparently the 'holiday spirit' bug hadn't hit him yet.

Thanks for the replies...
    :warning: If we don't get some cool rules ourselves.... pronto... then we'll just be bogus too..

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread