The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    When did Xmas become...
    On court tv, I was watching a show called extreme shopping, which was pretty much video after video of people getting hurt in huge mobs trying to get into a store and buy stuff. A store would have a sale of plasma TVs $199, but limited quantities (8) and 1000+ people show up. They open the door and maybe 8 plasma TVs will be sold, but way over 8 are heading for the hospital it would seem. Anyway, there was a quote by one of the self righteous commentators. Here it is

When did Christmas become going to Walmart on Black Friday and buying as much stuff as possible?
    My answer is it has always been that way, for as long as I can remember (in my 42 years) except maybe for xmas day when all the stores are actually closed, xmas has always been people on Black Friday (and other days) going to Walmart (Target, Macys, etc.) and buying as much stuff as possible. Anyway, I thought the quote was absurd and decided to share.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

It depends. It's never been that for me. When I was a kid our family had a rule of no gifts that could be bought. During the holidays we would make gift baskets for friends and family. In them, (oh the memories) balls, candy apples, fudge, divinity, handmade ornaments, and each basket strung with ribbons and bows. We were always taught the season was never about the gifts, it was about being together, hence the rule. Getting together and making baskets is still a tradition for us. Looking forward to this year.

xmas has always been people on Black Friday
    I don't mean to be a smarty, but I think the answer is in your title. It's the "x".

in the 1920s when thanks giving was moved from April to November

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    hardware, are you saying its thanksgiving fault??? Thanksgiving sucked all the home and family out of xmas?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Well thanks giving was moved so close to Christmas because they wanted exactly this to happen.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Whatever, just as long as they do the season's buying from ME, it's all good!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Whatever, just as long as they do the season's buying from ME, it's all good!
    And as an affiliate, people buy from you online. Not wait in line and turn into an unruly mob. So you save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    And as an affiliate, people buy from you online. Not wait in line and turn into an unruly mob. So you save lives!
    That's so true!

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    It depends. It's never been that for me. When I was a kid our family had a rule of no gifts that could be bought. During the holidays we would make gift baskets for friends and family. In them, (oh the memories) balls, candy apples, fudge, divinity, handmade ornaments, and each basket strung with ribbons and bows. We were always taught the season was never about the gifts, it was about being together, hence the rule. Getting together and making baskets is still a tradition for us. Looking forward to this year.
    Now THAT sounds like a great idea. I love it.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I obviously am like the rest of you and love the spike in retail. But I have to say it sure takes away from the purpose of the the holidays.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread