Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Affiliate Marketing as an Industry
    We are a relative newcomer to affiliate marketing. Been active with it for a year and so far we have met or exceeded our expectations.

However there are things I am curious about and have not seem addressed in terms of the size and make up of the industry.

Does anyone have a firm grasp on:

1. How big is affiliate marketing? What is the estimate of actual affiliate fees paid out each year?

2. How much of the industry is made up large players (i.e. affiliate ads on sites like About.com or others)? The other side of that is what percentage of the industry do Abestwebers make up?

3. What commission level do you need to reach to be considered a super affiliate?

4. How many super affiliates are actually out there?

Just had a quick second to ponder. Back to work!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

1. MarketingSherpa.com estimated that affiliates earned a total of $6.5 billion in 2006. That number includes quite a bit of stuff (gambling, lead gen, etc.) that isn't mainstream of what we typically consider affiliate marketing. Pure affiliate marketing (like you would find at LinkShare, CJ, Performics, and SAS) is probably closer to $500 million to $1 billion, IMHO, but that's just a guess.

2. With anything in affiliate marketing, the majority of earnings are from a relatively small percent of affiliates. I wouldn't be surprised to find that 90% of affiliate sales come from about 1000 affiliates. I doubt that "large players" (in the corporate sense) account for much, because they tend to use traditional advertising (CPM) rather than affiliate programs. My own guess on ABestWeb.com is that they make up 20% or more of affiliate revenue.

3. The typical number given for super affiliates is $10k/month. There's some debate about whether that's in a single program, network, or across all programs, or whether it's gross or net. That's the ballpark, though.

4. There are probably less than 1000 at (and in some cases significantly above) that level.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    4. How many super affiliates are actually out there?
    I am a self-proclaimed super affiliate. Don't forget to count me.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Good feedback Michael, thanks.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    2. With anything in affiliate marketing, the majority of earnings are from a relatively small percent of affiliates. I wouldn't be surprised to find that 90% of affiliate sales come from about 1000 affiliates. I doubt that "large players" (in the corporate sense) account for much, because they tend to use traditional advertising (CPM) rather than affiliate programs. My own guess on ABestWeb.com is that they make up 20% or more of affiliate revenue.
    Wow, I guess I should give myself some credit for making money on a steady basis. Even if I'm not a super affiliate. Those are really interesting numbers. Thinks Michael!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread