Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    To Do it or Not To
    What would you do in my situation. I had a #1 and 32 listing for 2 pictures in Google which is perfect for this time of the season. I just checked and the #1 picture no longer links to my site but is pointing to another site. The reason being they are hot linking to the picture on my site in a forum. The site is in Spanish and I can't find a contact to ask them to stop.

I just renamed the picture which will cost me the traffic but at least after the spiders come around that site won't be getting the number one listing either and they are getting a blank showing up where the old picture use to. I was thinking about adding a naughty picture or something and naming it the picture that they are hot linking to so it shows up on their site. What would you do. It's costing me several hundred visitors a day which are going to their site now which has nothing at all to do with what the picture is about. Any thoughts

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Packy
    I was thinking about adding a naughty picture or something and naming it the picture that they are hot linking to so it shows up on their site. What would you do. It's costing me several hundred visitors a day which are going to their site now which has nothing at all to do with what the picture is about. Any thoughts
    Oh absolutely do it! A friend was getting bombarded from eBay sellers hot linking her graphics and costing her bandwidth. She changed the picture to her dog licking his privates. LMAO - Classic revenge and funny as hell. I still crack up thinking about that picture showing up where the bandwidth thief expects the sweet picture of a baby to be.

BTW, are image searchers good traffic? Are the "back links" when someone hot links our images showing up to SE spiders?

I've asked this Q a few times. No one ha ever seemed to be sure even though I've received a few different "answers."
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    What would you do in my situation. I had a #1 and 32 listing for 2 pictures in Google which is perfect for this time of the season. I just checked and the #1 picture no longer links to my site but is pointing to another site. The reason being they are hot linking to the picture on my site in a forum. The site is in Spanish and I can't find a contact to ask them to stop.

I just renamed the picture which will cost me the traffic but at least after the spiders come around that site won't be getting the number one listing either and they are getting a blank showing up where the old picture use to. I was thinking about adding a naughty picture or something and naming it the picture that they are hot linking to so it shows up on their site. What would you do. It's costing me several hundred visitors a day which are going to their site now which has nothing at all to do with what the picture is about. Any thoughts
    I replaced a few of my images with a jpg which had text in it, saying, "SHOP AT < insert my domain > for the best prices and deals!"

I think a couple of those are still up on other people's sites, they haven't noticed them. One fellow was using my jpg in a myspace template that he gave out to a buncha people......
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

If you have cpanel on your hosting account, enable hotlinking protection. If you don't, but have access to your .htaccess file, try this:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://yourdomain.com/.*$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://yourdomain.com$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.yourdomain.com/.*$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.yourdomain.com$ [NC]

RewriteRule .*\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|bmp)$ http://www.yourdomain.com/images/don...y_graphics.gif [R,NC]

That's the code that cpanel inserts into my htaccess file when I enable hotlinking protection. Let me know if that works for you!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    I replaced a few of my images with a jpg which had text in it, saying, "SHOP AT < insert my domain > for the best prices and deals!"

I think a couple of those are still up on other people's sites, they haven't noticed them.
    Beautiful!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

We should have a thread on best hotlinked image revenge. LOL. I'd be interested to hear what kind of messages other victims of hotlinking have put up to embarrass image thieves.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

RexAnne and Elbow, I love both ideas. Maybe I will throw an image together real quick with what elbow suggested and see what happens

Rexanne, taking a look the bandwidth is pretty much the same other than it's now pointing to the wrong site, theirs In other words if I had the number one listing still the picture would still be drawing all the bandwidth.

As for images being good traffic, nothing like a regular text ink in the SE's. This particular image is coming up for a product which is what the site is all about so it is producing sales, or was anyways. It also came up in the top for a search term that was too general and most likely a lot of kids were doing the searching. In that case I was getting a ton of traffic but most of it was pretty useless because it was too general. That search term fell to the second page of the images now and traffic died down big time. If I still had that listing I would probably be getting about 10,000 non-targeted visitors a day from it right now.

The thing is that the site doing it is half way decent and has a PR of 5. I don't know if they are doing it on purpose or just don't know any better Most of the other images they are serving from their site.

Meadowmufn, I do have control to both and I'll check it out. Would that stop the search engines from pulling up the images and listing them??? Most of the traffic to that site is coming from the images which is why I ask and thanks for the advice. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    We should have a thread on best hotlinked image revenge. LOL. I'd be interested to hear what kind of messages other victims of hotlinking have put up to embarrass image thieves.
    I bet it would be a ton of laughs

Meadowmufn, I do have control to both and I'll check it out. Would that stop the search engines from pulling up the images and listing them??? Most of the traffic to that site is coming from the images which is why I ask and thanks for the advice. Thanks everyone!
    I may be wrong, and someone please correct me if I am, but I don't think it does stop the search engines from listing them. I get tons of hits from Google Images in my stats.

I bet it would be a ton of laughs
    It's funny this subject came up today because I found that I had accidentally screwed up my .htaccess file and took the hotlink protection out of it last night and saw a ton of bandwidth sucked up in a short time. I couldn't immediately find the graphic I had been using before, so until I did I had all requests redirect to a picture of a very angry looking puppy. LOL.

Meadowmufn, I do have control to both and I'll check it out. Would that stop the search engines from pulling up the images and listing them???
    I think it just disallows images being hot-linked, not spidered.

But if those hot-linked images are acting as a kind of "back link" I'd say let them hot-link all they want but I don't know for sure if those hot linked image URLs are spidered as "back links" or not. If they are, people stealing our bandwidth are more than making up for it in back link bliss.

Does anyone know for sure if hot-linked images benefit SEO?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Does hotlinking count as an inbound link for SEM?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Does anyone know for sure if hot-linked images benefit SEO?
    I have no idea. I'd like to know the answer to that question too.

Well I tried Elbows idea but unfortunately the image is being used as an avatar and it's too small to make a picture to come out looking right. It is kind of fun though playing around with pictures on my site and watching his avatar change every time, LMAO It looks like it's Naughty time I kind of feel bad because I don't think it's an intentional thing to steal traffic but none the less it's costing me money

I'd also like to know about the back links with something like this.

It's being used as an avatar? Oh, now THAT has possibilities!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    It's being used as an avatar? Oh, now THAT has possibilities!

Lol, doesn't it though? How about "Moderator X Sucks", lol, tick off a mod over there just for fun.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

http and a telephoto
    Totally make it your url. Just a tiny image with no text, just the url.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Totally make it your url. Just a tiny image with no text, just the url.
    Make it the url of this thread, where we all spent way too much time thinking of evil things to change it too

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    Lol, doesn't it though? How about "Moderator X Sucks", lol, tick off a mod over there just for fun.
    LMAO! Perfect!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    Make it the url of this thread, where we all spent way too much time thinking of evil things to change it too
    Isn't that the truth. I just waisted over an hour playing around with this The thing with trying to add a website url is that the avatars are probably only one third of the size that they are here at ABW so nothing I do seems to be readable

That said I did look around and came up with a few that might work. Be warned a couple might be offensive but I removed a lot of the really bad ones that I was thinking about. Again I don't think the person is doing for gain or anything. Most likely just unaware of what he cost me. My goal is to get him to change it as fast as possible. Below are a few I added for review. Any favorites? A couple cuss words so be warned

Here are some I came up with

Mods, feel free to delete if you think it's offensive. I personally like number 9 because it's similar to what he is hot linking to and I think he'll fix it right away.

Below are a few I added for review. Any favorites? A couple cuss words so be warned

LOL LOL LOL - those are great! I love #9
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    #8 looks like it needs a hug.

Isn't that the truth. I just waisted over an hour playing around with this The thing with trying to add a website url is that the avatars are probably only one third of the size that they are here at ABW so nothing I do seems to be readable

That said I did look around and came up with a few that might work. Be warned a couple might be offensive but I removed a lot of the really bad ones that I was thinking about. Again I don't think the person is doing for gain or anything. Most likely just unaware of what he cost me. My goal is to get him to change it as fast as possible. Below are a few I added for review. Any favorites? A couple cuss words so be warned

Mods, feel free to delete if you think it's offensive. I personally like number 9 because it's similar to what he is hot linking to and I think he'll fix it right away.
    Try the one below, I just made it from #3 on that link you posted!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sal, I would love to use that one Unfortunately the image is a jpg Thanks for that though and taking the time

Lostdeviant, with those teeth I don't know about a hug

I tried using #8 but it was the avatar that the site uses are too small so you couldn't see the hand good. I ended up using #1 for now to see if that will work. #10 is next! If that don't work I'll use one that will surely get his attention and probably thrown off the site

Oh, you're being much too nice I'm thinking more along the lines of things that shouldn't be talked about in polite company. You want to get his attention, that'll do it. What's he going to do, complain?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast