I went through some of my merchants and noticed that a large number offered "0" for return days. If I understand correctly, if someone visits my site and then clicks through to the merchant and something is purchased then I get nothing. Please also know that some merchants had return days of .143 or something like that. So, I am led to believe 0 is 0. I emailed these merchants and asked them if that was an error or not. They all said no. Then today I get e-mailed back by one and they said they worked out a deal with Linkshare to offer greater return days.

What is going on? If we, the affiliate, make money, then Linkshare makes money. I would think Linkshare would be tripping all over themselves to get the merchants to offer maximum return days. Is it not as simple as I thought? Can someone explain why this is backwards. It is my impression that merchants have to pay to offer return days.

My head hurts.

Steve

Steve,

If a merchant say 0 return days it means that your customer must make a purchase during the first visit to the merchant website - period. Linkshare gives this information so that affiliates have a great tool to see if the return days offered by the merchant are really fair or not.

If the return days are ZERO and 95% of the sales you give that merchant pay you commissions - then you have nothing to worry about. If however it is the other way around and 90% of your sales are excluded because of "Return Days Exceeded" well then it is pretty clear what you should do if the merchant won't adjust the return days for you.

For our program most customers don't purchase the first time around - but they do usually within 25 days. So our return days are set at 45 which is fair to both of us.

In addition - we cater to collectors, which means that 3 out of 5 are customers will make a purchase from our website every 30 days. That is why once you have placed 10 orders with us, we move you into a program that increases your return days from 45 to 365, so that you will earn commissions for all sales.

Merchants can use return days to lower their sales overhead or conversely as a way to fairly compensate their affiliates. It is up to the affiliate to decide which way the merchant is using them.(return days that is)

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    Nothing Builds Business Better than a Strong A.R.M.

Buy them a new application and they'll be content for a day - Show them how to code... and they'll go into business for themselves.

Okay. I think I understand. So, if at 2:00 Mrs. Smith visits my site and clicks over to a site where she wants to buy something... and then there is a knock at the door. She logs off, answers, buys cookies from the girlscout, logs back on and makes a purchase, then I am S.O.L. because the merchant has 0 return days?

Not trying to be a smarta** just trying to understand.

Steve

ABW Ambassador
    Exactly. Zero return days means you don't get a dime.

Hope Mrs. Smith enjoys her cookies.

Michael

Steve,

To my understanding if the RETURN DAYS says ZERO - that would be correct. I say this because I know that Merchants have the ability to select RETURN DAYS down to the number of hours. So if the RETURN DAYS said 1 HOUR instead of ZERO, and Mrs. Smith returned in 45 minutes, you'd get the commission.

Personally, I'd promote merchants that had a reasonable RETURN DAY Policy.... hint....hint

Hey, I'm with you on that one, Gatekeeper. I'm in the middle of finding out what I can to make sure I am doing the right thing. Some of the merchants have name recognition and I feel like I would be letting go a "loss leader" if I did that.

I'm still figuring this whole thing out.

Thanks for the replies.
    Steve

ABW Ambassador
    Steve--

You've just gotta balance things out. On our site, we have "names" that will bring people to our site, but also merchants with affiliate-friendly policies.

My bottom line: If they make money for you (regardless of their return day policies) and they aren't taking traffic away from your other merchants, keep them.

Michael

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread