Not making any sales. Advice needed.
    I have a website based on several CJ products in the Garden section. And I am making no sales at all.

My website is about aerophonics. For those of you that don't know what aerophonics is: the process of growing plants in an air or mist environment without the use of soil or an aggregate media.

I am promoting different aerophonic systems (different system are good for different plants). I am also promoting different lightning systems and nutrients. These are all hard to find at you local store.

I have about 80 articles on my website. I write about which system is good for which plant, what lightning systems to use, how to make your own system (and I recommend merchants that sell different components) etc.

I've made reviews of the companies I promote, and their products. I sent about 30-40 visitors a day to the websites I promote. I know my visitors are targeted because 90% come from google, searching for "tomatoes aerophonic system", "marijuana aerophonic lights" etc.I tell them where to buy these products or how to make them. This have been going on for a few months now; I sent them thousands and thousands of visitors and still no sales. I am also promoting only reputable companies that have a high EPC so I don't think it's the company's fault.

Any thoughts why I am not making any sales?

My guess is that I am not promoting the right products. One products is fairly large and the shipping is pretty big (this may be one of the reasons) and the other one is small, shipping is low, but you can find the product anywhere. For example, who would buy a lantern/flashlight online? Why wouldn't you just go to your local store and get one? Why would you buy common products, that you can find at your local store online?

So my questions is: what type of products do you promote? Products that are hard to find at your local store? Products that are small and have low shipping? What's the catch? I want to open a new website, and I don't want to make the same mistakes.

I don't consider myself a newbie in affiliate marketing, becasue I am making a decent amount of money by promoting digital products (ebooks and memberships). It's the physical products I am having trouble with.

Thank you,
    Nicu

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Would suggest you post your site for review.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

I would rather receive some advices here. I don't really want to make my website public (not looking for design, or seo advice).

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I don't see why not. You already told what the niche was, what you are promoting, and how you are doing it. If you wouldn't have told all of that I could see why you wouldn't want to share your site. Besides if you don't want design advice then you probably don't want any advice because how you have things laid out does impact your conversion rate.

Its the winter.. people might not be thinking about gardening now. Keep it updated and maybe in the spring sales will start coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    I don't see why not. You already told what the niche was, what you are promoting, and how you are doing it. If you wouldn't have told all of that I could see why you wouldn't want to share your site. Besides if you don't want design advice then you probably don't want any advice because how you have things laid out does impact your conversion rate.
    I do not want to make my site public because I am afraid people will still my articles. I know I am skeptic but this happened to me several times and I try to avoid it.
    The design of the site has am impact on CTR only, not on conversion rates. It's actually the articles and how good you are at preselling the products that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    Its the winter.. people might not be thinking about gardening now. Keep it updated and maybe in the spring sales will start coming in.
    Actually aerophonics is about growing plants indoors.

Aerophonics or Aeroponics?

And it's tough giving advice without any specifics.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nicuz
    I do not want to make my site public because I am afraid people will still my articles. I know I am skeptic but this happened to me several times and I try to avoid it.
    The design of the site has am impact on CTR only, not on conversion rates. It's actually the articles and how good you are at preselling the products that matters.
    Seems as if you already know the answer to your question.

No one here is going to tell you (or anyone else) what sells well on their sites.

I do have a suggestion:

Let the site "season" a bit - work at getting back links (other plant sites to link to you - offer to link back if necessary) and sit tight. By this time next year, you might have a profitable site in a niche that probably isnt deluged with players yet.

Move on to another niche - About something else you think would sell well online that you know about or can write effectively about and start building that up while waiting for the aerophonic site to start kicking in with the sales.

A better question for ABW would be who to ask for back links from, what else might sell on the site, etc. Two suggestions for those:

plant and/or bulb sites.

plant/and/or bulb sites :-)

You could also try to get back links from sites that are currently selling legal marijuana (I get SPAM for this all the time so I think it's reality) or possibly advertise on sites where you would expect a large pot smoking audience would congregate. Likewise, if you know who your target audience is aside from pot smokers, go after that crowd.

Maintaining your site and continuing to add relevant, well written articles about your niche and the products you are recommending is essential. Search engines will consider older, seasoned sites more than new ones, especially seasoned sites with back links and aerophonics could become a key online search term so whatever you do, don't give the site up.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Hi Rexanne,

Thank for the your lengthy reply. However, I do not need advice on how to promote a website. I do get 900-1000 visitors a day and a lot of love from search engine etc. Other websites link to me without me asking. So I am doing pretty good traffic wise.

As I mentioned before, I am having difficulties making sales from my phisical/tangible products.

I also have another "golf clubs" website, where of course, I promote golf clubs. The sales are also awful.

I do have 3 other websites, in 3 different niches where I am promoting digital products. The sales are great and it's obvious that a digital product does better than a tangible one.

So my question was what criteria should I follow when choosing what tangible products to promote? I don't need you to tell me the actual product name, but what's special about that product? Is it hard to find at your local store? Is is cheaper? Why should someone buy it online?

Hope you get it now.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Too little information to give solid advice.

I recommend you contact the affiliate manager of some of the retailers you have joined and ask their opinion (they'll have your site anyway). Pick the one that you believe you have the most potential with. If they don't reply, it's probably a neglected program and you have no idea what's going to happen with it.

I'd suggest taking a look at some of the OPM's here (the best in the business), hopefully they have some programs you can join and they can help you nurture your site into an income producer.

Good luck,

Mike

ABW Ambassador
    This thread is going to get some interesting traffic

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ophonic+lights

Talking
    Why don't you do some searches yourself on the major search engines with different key words and look for something that doesn't have a lot of results.

If a key word turns up 12,400,000 results - too much competition.

235 results - a good place for a niche site that has very little competition.

Example: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

After looking at the link Trust listed, I'd suggest selling caramel apples, tie dye tee's, VW bug parts, and anything you could find at the hightimes headshop.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    After looking at the link Trust listed, I'd suggest selling caramel apples, tie dye tee's, VW bug parts, and anything you could find at the hightimes headshop.
    Don't forget the headbands and sandals.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Have you tried making a test purchase to make sure they track? Thousands of visitors with no sales is a huge red flag, especially if you do have presell information on your pages.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I'd say something is terribly wrong if you send over 30 clicks to merchants on this very focused website of yours. Obviously they were searching for the products, read your review and articles and clicked through.
    You really never know what people are looking for nor when they are looking for it. There were products I thought would sell for Halloween and are instead selling in December. I think you should check your site design, and articles and see what you can improve. I'd personally at this point move on and start another website perhaps on a related theme. If you really have over 60 informative articles, you should have enough for traffic for many months to come.

or maybe alternative is monitize your site using google adsense / YPN

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Affnice
    or maybe alternative is monitize your site using google adsense / YPN
    Good advice Affnice!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I'd suggest AdSense, but I don't think they allow drug related sites. Maybe do price comparison on the products and make sure you're ranking in the engines for the product names with individual product pages.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I used adsense from the beginning.

Ok, just found a great post that answers my question:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=10

Care to add anything to it?

ABW Ambassador
    People buy everything online. I have a general shopping/coupon site and get sales in every category, things when I first started out, I didn't think would sell online, like tires.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread