ABW Ambassador
    Should I have my domain email catchall?
    Hello,

I had wanted to set up my domain's email account so it would catchall. Though the support person told me I'd get a lot more spam if I did that, so I decided against it. But I'm wondering if maybe I should still do it.

Curious what you all think? If I'm able to get a decent amount of traffic to my website, would I be finding 1,000's of spam email a day or not nearly that much?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    If I'm able to get a decent amount of traffic to my website, would I be finding 1,000's of spam email a day or not nearly that much?

Thanks.
    You don't need a decent amount of traffic to get 1000's of spam emails .

I set domain email "catchall" on one of my very new site years ago. It simply turned out to be a spam flood and burried my real emails. The worst thing is, most hosting companies can't do anything about it unless you turn off the "catchall" option.

Don't do catchall.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    What Mayfly said. You'll get so much SPAM you'll want to die or kill someone else. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Wow.. I am glad the support person mentioned spam!

So anyone too dumb not to check my contact section for the real email, well, too bad for them, LOL.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    Wow.. I am glad the support person mentioned spam!

So anyone too dumb not to check my contact section for the real email, well, too bad for them, LOL.

Thanks.
    Yup - don't do "catchall" - a spam-magnet for sure.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I use catchalls for all my domains that receive email, in part because I use the catchall as a way to encode email addresses when buying or registering at other web sites -- for example, when I'm ordering widgets at SomeOnlineStore-dot-com I might enter my email address as "SomeOnlineStore_widgets_2007@mydomain.com" so that down the road, I may learn how I got on some other mailing lists.

I turned off one layer of my spam filtering for a few hours, earlier this week, and saw a huge flood of spam directed to many different non-existent email addresses at my domain. (These included variations like sales@ and info@ as well as many odd variations like suzanne@ and bill.thomas@ even though those addresses have certainly never been used. In the past, I've seen lots of gobbledygook addresses like fjwurlz@ or qwekcvjs@.)

However, my spam filtering is active, almost none of these spams ever make it into my inbox. Nearly all the spam that "gets through" is addressed to my primary published email address, not to variations that trigger the catch-all.

In the past, I've gathered the data for the most-frequently targetted non-existent email addresses, and added those to my "deny list." However, I don't think I've updated my "deny list" for at least a year.

I used the catchall on a couple of my domains some years ago and, yes, I got a flood of spam. That was then, this is now: You'll probably get even more spam.

One thing I find very odd is this: I had an email address on one domain which got hit with spam probably 5 years ago. The spam turned into hundreds of emails a day to that mailbox, so I deleted it.

A few years later, I found a situation where I needed to "reactivate" or recreate that email address for something important, one or two emails from somewhere I'd bought and registered software, I forget what.

I reactivated/recreated the spammed email address. Remember now, this was at least 3 or 4 years after the spam flood had caused me to delete that address.

I STARTED IMMEDIATELY GETTING SEVERAL HUNDRED EMAILS A DAY!!!!!

Needless to say, I immediately deleted that email address again once I got the information I needed to retrieve.

I'm totally puzzled about the mentality behind spammers. Or I should say the brainlessness of spammers?
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I'm totally puzzled about the mentality behind spammers. Or I should say the brainlessness of spammers?
    I wouldn't call them brainless spammers. They are way too smart to be brainless . Not only they flooded my mailbox, they also send spam emails out using my domain address. Some of "my" spam emails got bounced back to me and I have no idea who those xhfunthf, ayrhtcu, dhdyrgb are

Years went by, I'm still .

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I left a catchall on for a test ages ago, and got a significant number of spams aimed at common addresses: webmaster@, sales@, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Writerguy
    I reactivated/recreated the spammed email address. Remember now, this was at least 3 or 4 years after the spam flood had caused me to delete that address.

I STARTED IMMEDIATELY GETTING SEVERAL HUNDRED emailS A DAY!!!!!

Needless to say, I immediately deleted that email address again once I got the information I needed to retrieve.

I had a similar event happen, and wondered wtf until the thought crossed my mind that the spammers hadn't gotten any bounces. So, I sent a test email to the address (after redeleting it). Sure enough, it was blackholing the invalid address emails without bouncing them. So, the spammers never got any indication that the emails actually weren't getting through, so of course, kept on both spamming and reselling the email address to other spammers as "valid."

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to make the invalidly-addressed emails actually bounce (with a "no such address" type message). Maybe I'll try setting up a box for some of my old addresses and set its capacity to 0kb. At least that would get it to send a "box full" message...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Since it's free to send spam there's no reason for them to clean out their bounced addresses. I wouldn't bother making them bounce.

Spam filters are great. I get maybe 200 a day that make it through my first filter, then 180 of them go into my spam box and 20 into the inbox. There are usually a few spams in the inbox and a few good mails in the spam box, but that's better than the flood I'd get without filtering.

I wish it would cost a tiny fraction of a cent to send emails. Then sending out millions of spams wouldn't be free, but real messages would be close enough to free. Eventually it will be done. I hope.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh gosh, no. I never want email to cost money. Just pass a law that spammers who are caught will be shot, then put more money into catching them, LOL.

Thanks y'all for the adding replies.

Spammers do it, one has to suppose, because enough people do open those mails and either buy what they're hawking or at least install a cookie or spyware onto their computer.

Blackhole is the best option.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    If you publish an address, you'll get spam. But one extra class of mail you'll get with a catchall is return mail from spammers spoofing your domain. Spammers pretend they're brenda.t@myaffdomain.com and thousands of other names automatically generated - when those fail to deliver when sent out by the spammer, you'll get bombed with the return mails, hundreds (if not thousands) of them in a few hours. Skip the catchall.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread