Sites down - How to respond to the host?
    I tried to access my sites over various browsers but could not see my sites nor could I access my accounts via FTP. I get this message when I try to see one of my sites:
    * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    My host's support (from 1&1) e-mailed me:
    Due to maintenance and file system check that our administrators are
    doing, the server where your websites are hosted is still offline at the
    moment.

We sincerely apologize for this very unfortunate event, although
    unforeseen but which might already be causing you a lot of
    inconvenience. We also understand the frustration you might be feeling
    right now about this whole issue and how anxious you are to see your
    websites online again.

Unfortunately, we still do not have an estimated
    time frame for a resolution however rest assured that our administrators
    are working as quickly as possible. We are also taking safe measures to
    ensure that an incident of this nature will not be able to happen again.
    Thank you so much for your patience and understanding as we work to
    resolve this issue.
    As you can imagine I am very upset. How should I respond to my host's support?
    When websites are offline are customers entitled to a credit? I am thinking of requesting a credit. Does anyone have any advice how I should handle this?
    This is the worst time of the year for my sites to be offline

This is the first time I noticed that problem. I would expect that I could only request credit if a number of days elapsed with this problem.
    (My hope is to see my sites ASAP)

Thanks in advance for advice.
    Last edited by Rhia7; December 7th, 2007 at 09:20 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

There's usually some type of 'uptime' guarantee, you should be able to find it in the T&C at the host. Some will exclude 'scheduled downtime' from the guarantee so be sure to verify that. Then based on the T&C or advertised uptime ask for a credit. It's likely to amount to only a few pennies or a couple dollars at the most unless the sites are down a long time since the credit is prorated based on your paymentto them, not lost revenue from your sites.

Usually hosts do this stuff very late at night or early morning. Maybe look for another host? Sorry this is happening to you, especially now.

edit
    I just realized I didn't answer your question. You ask for a credit based on the SLA (service level agreement). This is the term they will expect to see in your response.
    Last edited by knight01; December 7th, 2007 at 09:36 PM. Reason: answered question
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Thanks for your answer, Knight01.
    I've been with 1&1 for 2 years -- I've been satisfied with them.
    I especially liked their domain registration & maintenance.

I have a feeling all hosts go down (especially since I am paying $10 per month) at one time or another -- unfortunately now is a most inconvenient time.

I'll have to see how long this goes on.

I'm not sure who I'd switch to
    This is the first uptime problem I have encountered during the 2 years I have been with them **sigh**
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Yes, all hosts go down for scheduled maintenance, just most do it at 4AM. Unscheduled downtime is when I pull my hair out. If you do a substantial amount you might look at having a secondary host that mirrors your site. You could even use a host that advertises free sites for ABW members as the backup so there is no additional cost. Then if something happens you can just switch dns (name servers) and be back up in a matter of minutes. When 1&1 comes back up switch back to them.

I think there is a way to do it automatically, I've never done it but I'm sure snib, patrick hardwaregeek or one of those geekier users can give you details on how to do it.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Thanks for your idea, Kight01 (even though I don't really understand it -- my family thinks I am geeky but I guess they've never seen a real geek )

My sites are still down
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

That sucks your sites are down. I don't think it's possible for e-commerce sites to switch around like that between hosts easily because you have a database on the back end with your products, customers, and orders. That would need to be replicated in real time to both hosts should one go down. I think the best way to get around this would be dedicated servers that way you have full control over what is going on but then again dedicated servers require more technical expertise to keep running.

Justin

I hope they get you site up quickly, unscheduled maintenance that isn't at night is very unnerving. Makes me think that a disk has gone bad and they suspect corruption.

Last week (Thursday) at 3:30pm my site went down on my dedicated Aplus.net server. I called tech support, they said it would be back up in 15 minutes. Then it was 1 hour, then it was 4 hours, then they said tomorrow. Then on Friday afternoon, it was still down and their tech support message said, "we don't have a solution or an ETA for a solution, please call back later". So Friday evening I rented a new server at softlayer.com and spent all night Friday and all day Saturday getting my database and site back up. I am going to ask for my entire quarterly fee back from Aplus, they really, really screwed me... On Saturday, I got this ridiculous e-mail from them:

As you may be aware, we have been experiencing severe packet
    loss in our PHX-1 data center in Phoenix, where you have one
    or more servers. Regrettably, the situation continues to
    worsen despite round-the-clock efforts by our engineers as
    well as those from our providers. As a result, we are
    taking the steps to begin moving clients into our new
    state-of-the-art datacenter in Phoenix, located less than 5
    miles from our PHX-1 data center. We will commence moving
    clients at 10:00 am Central time on Saturday, December 1.....
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Thanks for the input portalplanet & isellstuff.
    I sure hope none of the disks (or anything) have been corrupted!

Unscheduled maintenance certainly is unnerving but I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has had hosting problems (I wouldn't wish this type of thing on anybody but at least I am not singled out).

I couldn't see a mention of 1&1's Up-Time on their site (it's probably buried somewhere under all the advertising) but I've noticed their expensive 1st page 2 page advertising layout in almost every Practical Webdesign Magazine issue where they guarantee 99.99% uptime.

I am very upset today, my site is still down
    I hope my sites are back up tomorrow

I used to "hang out" at a forum where people would look for free & fee hosting, the problem is that at one time or another all hosts have this type of problem or similarly related problems -- so what is someone such as myself who is not as technically sophisticated as some people on this forum to do?

The only good thing I can say about 1&1 right now is that I think they are an excellent registrar - I've been very pleased with their domain registration & maintenance.
    Last edited by Rhia7; December 7th, 2007 at 11:58 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Unfortunately, even at 99.99% uptime guarantee, If they prorate the refund and you are only paying $10. per month, you would need to be "down" for three days to get a $1 refund. But you are right in that "other people" are having the same problem. With 1&1 there are most likely a couple hundred other accounts on your server - and their accounts are all down along with yours.

My suggestion would be to (as soon as possible) find an additional host and move a portion (half) of your sites over. That way if there is a severe problem with one host you are only "half" out of business at one time. It is true that you may double your costs - but only up to $20 per month. Compare that with the $$ you lose for each hour or day you are off line.

For example, I currently lease four VPS units and have them spread among three hosting companies. With the one company where I have two units I have then on different servers. Sorry this has happened to you, because, believe me, I know the feeling. I, too, have had sites go down for hours at a time - not fun.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    But you are right in that "other people" are having the same problem. With 1&1 there are most likely a couple hundred other accounts on your server - and their accounts are all down along with yours.
    I hope 1&1 is receiving hundreds of complaints

Thanks for your suggestions

My sites have been down for most of Thursday the 6th
    Let's see how long it takes 1&1 to get the Up-Time back up.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I used to "hang out" at a forum where people would look for free & fee hosting, the problem is that at one time or another all hosts have this type of problem or similarly related problems -- so what is someone such as myself who is not as technically sophisticated as some people on this forum to do?
    You need to, in one form or another, hire someone to take care of these things for you. It really depends on how much your sites are making each month. If you make 100's of dollars profit a day and your sites are running on 10 buck a month hosting, then you can afford to upgrade to a fully managed dedicated server, where your host takes care of backups, maintenance, etc.

I have a friend that runs a very large vbulletin website that utilizes about 4-5 monster machines. He is not super technical, but he has fully managed hosting in conjunction with a vbulletin programmer that he contracts for all difficult tasks. So my friend takes care of the content, marketing, and people management, his host takes care of backups, software installs, upgrades, load balancing, etc, and his vbulletin guru does all the coding for new features.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

To be fair to 1&1 -- My sites are back up

Hey, but it's 1:30 AM my time -- Bedtime for me

I just hope the sites stay up long enough for me to make edits & additions.

Considering that this was my first downtime since 2005, 1&1 seems okay.

If the sites go again I'll complain some more
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I'm glad everything is up and running for again Rhia. I know how that feels!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread