Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CompUSA to close all stores, sell website
    CompUSA is evidently closing shop after Christmas and will be looking to sell CompUSA.com Right now they are trying to sell off their entire inventory.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/07/technology/compusa.ap/

A little unsettling since I've been selling a lot for them over Xmas. I guess this is an orderly closure and we will all get paid... (right?)
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Unsettling indeed. I'm shocked they are unable to find a buyer for the chain, there's some value in the name if nothing else. I don't promote them, but I'd sure be pulling links down. If they close and have to file chapter 11 you'll likely get little to nothing as a unsecured creditor.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Just yesterday I was shopping in Portland and I saw a completely lights-out CompUSA -- this explains it I guess. I hope you get your commissions, iss.

I found some great deals back in the spring when they went through their last wave of store closings.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

They closed the store where I used to live in Houston, but the one here in Albuquerque is still open... for now. I'll be keeping an eye on 'em though. I scored some good deals back in Houston.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I hate to see stores close down but heck, I can play vulture, too. I really want an LCD monitor and some stuff for my laptop and this might be a good time to score some cheap software.

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunately, when bankruptcy looms, it becomes questionable if affiliates will get commissions. Affiliate commissions tend to come in last place. When it comes to paying debts one usually sees that lawyers get paid first, taxes second, employees third, management. Finally affiliates send in the back of the line with the stock holders.(that is when we are allowed in the line at all.)

ABW Ambassador
    I've been doing pretty good with them too but I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the links.

Yes, I'm pulling their links tonight too. Its too bad, I've been selling a lot of merchandise, but can't risk not getting paid.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    The article says that they were sold to a Gordon Brothers Group. Hoovers says they do $100m in sales a year. Before pulling links, it would be worthwhile to get them on this board to see what they want to do with the CompuUSA property.

BTW, when a company is sold, affiliates lose the commissions before the sale or bankruptcy but get paid those after the bankruptcy.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    BTW, when a company is sold, affiliates lose the commissions before the sale or bankruptcy but get paid those after the bankruptcy.
    Sometimes, rarely much. Affiliates are far back on the list of people who get paid. Having been burned enough by bankruptcies, I'm yanking.

Chet

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    12/19/07 email
    just received:

Dear .....,

We would like to provide an update on the status of the CompUSA affiliate program. CompUSA is current on all DoubleClick Performics' invoices and you will receive your commission checks very shortly. CompUSA has also pre-paid fees for the month of December. Please continue to promote CompUSA during the holidays.

DoubleClick Performics is committed to working on your behalf to secure your commissions moving forward. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Please let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Regards,
    Josh
    Program Manager for CompUSA
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Wow.. I just saw this. I was talking to the senior e-commerce manager at CompUSA in Oct/Nov when I was looking for a new job.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I went to CompUSA today to return some software that wouldn't load on my PC. (In fact my CD drive couldn't even read the disk.) Anyway, big sign at the Customer Service desk, "NO RETURNS. NO EXCHANGES." So I'm prepared for a fight but I start out my usual sweet self. Customer service lady says she can't help me, so I ask for the manager. Well the best I could wrangle was a store credit but shoot, it's not hard for me to find stuff I want at CompUSA.Anyway, be warned. If you buy something at CompUSA they will not return it and they will not exchange it. Unless you know how to sweet talk the manager, of course.

They closed our only store here in Omaha. Of course, they had it right across the street from our biggest, well known, electronics store in Omaha (Nebraska Furniture Mart, owned by Warren Buffet). I was not surprised when they did not last.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Website Closing Tonight
    just received - less than a day's notice:

Dear Affiliate Partner,

We are contacting you to inform you that the CompUSA Affiliate Program at DoubleClick Performics will be terminated on Wednesday, January 9th at 3:15 AM CST.

At that time, all banners and links for CompUSA will no longer direct to the CompUSA Web site. Publishers promoting CompUSA will no longer receive compensation for any traffic generated. As a result, we recommend that you remove all CompUSA creative from your site.

We appreciate your past support of the CompUSA Affiliate Program and remind you there are hundreds of other advertisers available through DoubleClick Performics. To access a list Advertisers to promote, click here .

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Regards,

Josh
    Program Manager for CompUSA
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

At least you can still become an affiliate if you aren't one already!

Hurry.

http://www.compusa.com/affiliate/default.asp

-sfcom

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I bought from the Salt Lake City store for Christmas and talked with a merchandising manager. He said that the margins dried up because everyone carries computer products, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc. No money in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    I bought from the Salt Lake City store for Christmas and talked with a merchandising manager. He said that the margins dried up because everyone carries computer products, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc. No money in it!
    "Everyone" else [Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc.] must think the margains are ok. But I guess he meant you can't make it on computer products alone.

ABW Ambassador
    I'll miss them, I have nice memories of when I first started with my first computer. I'd scrounge through their clearance books and loved browsing the aisles there for a long time. One thing - the help was AWFUL. You couldn't get a salesperson to get any information about anything at all, not even expensive stuff.

Fry's is making it just fine, they're jammed all the time. But they do sell other electronics and appliances, just not general merchandise but I'd say 90% computer stuff. You can get help with any question within minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Fry's is making it just fine, they're jammed all the time. But they do sell other electronics and appliances, just not general merchandise but I'd say 90% computer stuff. You can get help with any question within minutes.
    Wow. I've been to a Fry's twice, and the help has ranged from non-existent to contemptible.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    I'm a big fan of Fry's - I visit the Houston location whenever I'm in town visiting family. It's definitely not 90% computer stuff though; not at that location at least. More like 25% computer stuff, and that's including things that are directly related, like printer paper and blank DVDs. If you draw a line down the middle of the store, everything on the left is appliances and TVs. Everything on the right is computer stuff, furniture, books, consoles and games.

That said, there's not a time in the past few years that I've visited Fry's without scoring a killer deal on some computer equipment

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Systemax buys CompUSA assets to complement TigerDirect

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    FYI. Systemax runs Tiger Direct
    working link
    http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=24978

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    from that release:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

According to TigerDirect CEO Gilbert Fiorentino, CompUSA.com’s customer base enhances that of TigerDirect.com, and the CompUSA retail stores will strengthen the company’s planned retail expansion. TigerDirect currently operates 11 retail stores in Florida, Illinois, North Carolina and Ontario. Pending required approvals, up to 16 CompUSA stores in Florida, Texas and Puerto Rico will be added during the first quarter of 2008.

“Millions of loyal customers will come to the Systemax and TigerDirect family of businesses through this acquisition,” Fiorentino says. “We anticipate hiring many experienced CompUSA employees, preserving hundreds of store management and sales positions and making us stronger and better in the process.”

Until the agreement is closed, CompUSA.com and its retail operations will continue to operate under CompUSA’s existing management. Once the acquisition is completed, an upgraded CompUSA.com site will operate within Systemax’s family of e-commerce web sites, including SystemaxPC.com, the company says. The new CompUSA.com is expected to feature advanced search function and enhanced content, including photo galleries and videos on thousands of the most popular PC, TV and consumer electronics items.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don't know if it all work out, but sure sounds a lot better than a bunch of empty stores. I go way back with CompUSA in another industry, at one time they were ahead of the pack, but like Rome, they got too big for their britches... and fell behind. In this era of big screen tvs and a rapidly growing number of tech gadgets, seems weird for an electronics retailer to be failing... but it's been years since I knew people working there and I've got no special insight into their numbers or particular problems they had, so who knows what brought them down in the end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast