Does dropping merchants affect your record?
    Is there any penalty for dropping merchants on CJ? Does it add a black mark to your history or something? Does it impact future applications with other merchants, are they able to see your record of dropped merchants?

I have three non-performers who I've stopped all activity for, but for some reason I just haven't dropped them. Maybe out of politeness?

No impact. But why drop them? If there are links out there somewhere, someone may click through and buy sometime. If you drop them, the links quit working and any sales that come through on a cookie won't get credited to you.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    But why drop them? If there are links out there somewhere, someone may click through and buy sometime. If you drop them, the links quit working and any sales that come through on a cookie won't get credited to you.
    For me, if I drop a merchant, it's usually because: I smell something fishy and I figure they're not going to pay even if I do generate a sale, and/or the AM or owner is a blighter and deserves my official middle finger, and/or I just figure that I'd be better off sending the traffic elsewhere.

In the latter scenario, it's like having a leak on my own page if I leave a link to a merchant with, say, a 1/1000 conversion ratio if there's another merchant who sells the same stuff and has a 1/75 conversion ratio (provided that the better converter's commission isn't ridiculously, laughingly abysmal, anyway...). Then I might as well officially drop the losing merchant, since I won't be promoting them anyway. Of course, I do my best to make sure I've got ALL their links down before I drop 'em for this reason.

It takes a little 'extra' for me to drop a merchant (besides non-conversions).

But I've never dropped one and regretted it!

For me, if I drop a merchant, it's usually because: I smell something fishy and I figure they're not going to pay even if I do generate a sale
    Well, to me there's a point where it's just not worth the time and money spent. Either the merchant is shifty, incompetent or the market has spoken and nobody wants their product.

I was just wondering if affiliate managers check out our record of dropped merchants before accepting us for their programs. I guess not. Now I'm wondering if they check our performance or EPC and therefore hanging onto non-performing merchants is a bad idea. Do they check anything at all?

I don't know what they see on their end when someone applies to their program.

ABW Ambassador
    I will drop a merchant:

if they have made money from me and not paid me, like if they find an excuse to get away with paying me when they should have

if a merchant goes offline more than once

if a merchant is known to be associated with spyware or offers a dodgy tool bar

if a merchants runs adsense or similar on the site where my links go to

if I send many clicks to a merchant and they never convert

if a merchant sends me a newsletter that is nothing more than a spammy consumer type of promotion with no affiliate links etc

if a merchant never replies to communications

probably a few other reasons that I can't think of right now...

oh yea & ... if their website is a competitor for mine, if their am is an affiliate as well as a merchant, if the merchants keeps sending the same links in less than a week in email & if they don't offer any updated links
    Last edited by glittered; December 10th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread