Tracking is Not Affected!
    Why on earth are we expected to believe this? Over the past several months every major network (with the exception of SaS) has had extended periods where we couldn't login, couldn't access reports, reports were delayed for several hours or days or their links didn't work.

WTF. These are supposed to be the "1st Tier" networks and supposedly their business is to provide advertisers with a means to reach affiliates and for affiliates to advertise those advertiser's programs. As part of this business model it would seem essential to me that access to account information, creatives and reports is essential for both affiliates and advertisers. However it seems that these networks have no clue as to how to keep their sites accessible and data up to date and accurate.

Every morning I wake up to threads like:

Can't login to ______
    Login issues
    Reports not working on _______
    Reports delayed on _______
    ______ is down again
    Anybody having problems logging in
    ___ down?

And the list goes on and on.

After 25 years in he IT industry I can't think of any company large or small that I've ever worked with that would find this kind of performance acceptable. If my sites were down or unreachable by my customers at the same rate that these "1st Tier" networks are, I'd be out of business.

Message to the "1st Tier Networks":

FIX YOUR SHIT!!!! You look like a bunch of f$@%!&g amateurs. How can I trust in any of your systems when you can't seem to perform the basics on any consistent level.

</rant>

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

A book could be written about them and all of the problems they cause for affiliates.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    I am truly beginning to believe that there is something in this for the networks. That in someway they benefit - be it cashflow or something.

Because there is absolutely NO REASON why their software is so unstable for so many years at just about the same time of year.

I checked my records with LS for the past 5 years, and it is the same crap every year. If we can't see our reports, then we won't know how much money to expect each week and they keep it- if only for a few days.

I swear my updated biz plan is going to be to minimize LS and CJ. I may not be able to cut them out - but I swear they will not hold my cashflow or my sanity hostage.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    I am truly beginning to believe that there is something in this for the networks. That in someway they benefit - be it cashflow or something.

Because there is absolutely NO REASON why their software is so unstable for so many years at just about the same time of year.

I checked my records with LS for the past 5 years, and it is the same crap every year. If we can't see our reports, then we won't know how much money to expect each week and they keep it- if only for a few days.

I swear my updated biz plan is going to be to minimize LS and CJ. I may not be able to cut them out - but I swear they will not hold my cashflow or my sanity hostage.
    AMEN!

I agree with you 100%.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    If my sites were down or unreachable by my customers at the same rate that these "1st Tier" networks are, I'd be out of business.

Message to the "1st Tier Networks":

FIX YOUR SHIT!!!! You look like a bunch of f$@%!&g amateurs. How can I trust in any of your systems when you can't seem to perform the basics on any consistent level.

</rant>

-rematt
    Rant away Rematt! We're all agreeing wiith you.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quality merchants need to read this and realize that it would be in their best interests to switch to the one 1st Tier network that somehow seems to avoid these problems.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Quality merchants need to read this and realize that it would be in their best interests to switch to the one 1st Tier network that somehow seems to avoid these problems.
    Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Which one?
    Good question.

I would like to know which one also.

Which one?

First post, Rematt wrote:

"Over the past several months every major network (with the exception of SaS) has had extended periods where we couldn't login, couldn't access reports, reports were delayed for several hours or days or their links didn't work."
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Shareasale.

In the slightly more than I year that I have been on SAS, I have seen only rare login problems, and for brief periods, and never recall seeing systemwide link problems.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    Really? Like in the other thread, I suggested doing a search:

There are some threads that people have posted SAS going offline for a little bit overnight each night (minutes I think). Never saw a response to those. AffiliateHound, you even posted in that thread - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ighlight=night

People have posted about problems with Firefox and gettling logged out getting links.

SAS has gone down before, these are copy and paste thread titles:

SAS is Down
    SAS Down?
    SAS Down, Links Down
    Is SAS down or is it just me?
    SAS down?
    SAS Down
    Help!!! SAS links not working!!
    all my sas link are dead
    SAS Down - Back Up
    SAS Site Down?
    Is SAS down again?
    SAS Down Again?
    SAS Down?
    Is SAS down?
    SAS down?
    sas down
    SAS down?
    Is SAS down?
    SAS down
    SAS Offline?

They have login problems sometimes:

Can't login to SAS
    SAS Login Problems
    Can't log in to SAS this AM
    SAS login down?
    Login trouble
    Anyone else having trouble logging in to SAS?
    Can't login to SAS
    Shareasale Broken?

Sometimes problem with stats:

Stats Down
    Daily Stats Didn't Start Over

This is over the years. Most were probably minor, some a little longer. Recently SAS has been lot better in that department.

But I could do the above for other networks as well. Goes back to what I was saying, networks are going to have problems sometimes.

I don't recall many with Avantlink or Buy.at but they're pretty new. It could happen to anybody. There's just no magical network out there that's going to be problem free. And going off topic for a second, I've seen big merchants like Amazon go offline, big search engines like Google go offline and I'm sure most of us have had our own sites go down before. It happens.
    Last edited by Trust; December 8th, 2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling errors

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe it isn't in their best interest.

Really? Like in the other thread, I suggested doing a search:

There are some threads that people have posted SAS going offline for a little big at night. Never saw a response to those.

People have posted about problems with Firefox and gettling logged out getting links.

It happens to most networks. I don't recall any with Avantlink or Buy.at but there pretty new.
    Touche

I think this has to do a lot with "perception" and trust (not you, Trust! LOL)When SAS goes down, we're all rallying to support them. Interesting ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Trust, I think most of that relates to 2 problems:

1) For a long time, there was a nightly problem for 5-10 minutes, around 9 pm. Pacific time, when stats changed over from one day to the next. That appears to be ok now.

2) A couple of weeks ago there was a change made that apparently relates to the same issue, and while it was being resolved, stats were not updating as before, when one day's stats were cleared and the next day's begun.

Other that this, I recall the SAS site being down only a couple of times, and only one time where some people reported links being down (which I had been unaware of, and when I checked my links, they were working).

These problems and the FF login issue are incredibly minor when compared to the horrendous outages, login problems, tracking issues, and responsiveness issues with the other 1st Tier networks, as documented in far more threads than those referenced to SAS.

I think it has much more to do with the actual facts than just affiliates such as myself "trusting" SAS more, thought at least for me, I certainly do "trust" them more than other networds.

And as far as "trusting" other networks, I do have some information on some of these issues as to one network, that unfortunately I cannot discuss here, but that gives me some insight into who to "trust" and who not to.

ABW Ambassador
    Let's take this as an example - Dec 3 Rhea started a Can't Login Thread around 8pm, by about 9pm Brian was on the board explaining the situation. Times are approximate but you get the picture.

Maybe that's why we pull for SAS - among other things.

<rant pt2.>
    My rant wasn't intended as an endorsement of SaS, but rather as an indictment of some of the other major networks. I know SaS has had their issues also, but never for extended periods like what's been happening lately at some of the other networks, at least not that I can remember. I don't expect any network or business in general to be perfect. However I do expect to be able to buy gas at the local gas station and be able to see the meter on the pump that tells me how much gas I've bought and how much it costs. If they can't perform the basics, why are they there?

Everyday we see the same threads over and over again wondering if the networks are up or if their reports are working or if they've been updated. Some of the "Can you login" threads should be stickies. These posts should be the exception, not the norm. I believe most of us have come to expect on any given day that there is a problem with at least one of the networks, and frankly I'm surprised (and thrilled) when there isn't one.

Imagine if Google or Yahoo! experienced as many problems and their users couldn't access them for extended periods of time. Or if a major online retailer was down 2 or 3 times a month or couldn't except credit cards. This is no way for any professional organization to be run and I can't imagine how the merchants affected put up with it.

If there were continuous ongoing problems with a single network we could find ways to work around that. The fact that most of them seem so incredibly bad in the very basics of an Internet business (staying online) is what I find so distressing. To make matters worse we are very seldom proactively notified that there is a problem or when it will be resolved. Occasionally after a thread has 50 or 60 posts a spokesperson from the network will tell us "Tracking has not been affected". Yeah right.

</rant pt2.>

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, I agree login issues are annoying, delayed stats etc. Even moreso during the holidays.

As far as tracking, the only time I can think of when there was a network wide problem was with CJ a couple of years ago, where I and some others even posted screenshots, during a horrible upgrade that went on for over a month. Problem after problem. So a network wide problem is pretty rare, there are times where individual merchants have issues, in every network.

The other times where it's network wide is when links don't work like we had with Performics today. Obviously you can't get sales when that happens. It happens from time to time but not that often.

And as far as "trusting" other networks, I do have some information on some of these issues as to one network, that unfortunately I cannot discuss here, but that gives me some insight into who to "trust" and who not to.
    A network or a merchant? If it was a network and it pertained to a tracking problem, there would be big threads about it, people would notice since it would affect everybody. And that kind of goes to rematts statement too:

"Occasionally after a thread has 50 or 60 posts a spokesperson from the network will tell us "Tracking has not been affected". Yeah right."

Network wide tracking problem? People would notice. There's plenty of people here (and other places) that get a lot of sales, many sales an hour. If that stopped for an hour or any period of time, they would notice.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Trust
    I don't recall many with Avantlink or Buy.at but they're pretty new.
    Your comment reminded me I had not checked out Buy.at today and when I went to log in just now, guess who is down?! I keep getting an "OOPS" login error message.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I think the 1st tier networks (except SAS which has had les issues) are only concerned with the short term goal of amking money. they think their shit doesn't stink and that the well won't dry up. I think they believe that they have all of us by the short and curlies.

It's the same with their uncustomer service.

They should be concerned. Look at CJ and Linkshare in the past 6 months. How many have moved away from CJ and Linkshare? Many. I've even received emails from merchants who were annoyed with CJ and told me it's why they're moving (Too much downtime and reporting issues).

As an affiliate I feel like shit sometimes. I'm not a super affiliate so the big networks feel like they can piss all over me.

If I was a super affiliate or a big merhcant they'd be serving me caviar, anything else gets lost with these big guys.

Sorry for venting.

I can shed a little light on an area where CJ probably has problems - I haven't looked at the other networks - if you trace the server hoping through CJ before you get to the merchant's landing page on the merchant's server, your signal must go through several separate CJ servers - plenty of room to screw up.

I was tracing the path to try to figure why some of my CJ links got truncated and the customer was being sent to the merchant's home page - the truncation seemed to be about the third CJ server.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread