Hi, I am not from US. Can some explained briefly to me what's the Patriot Act? I encounter it a few times when they mention something about transfering money from US to offshore.

It is my biggest dissapointment in our currently elected president. Though I am a strong supporter of GWB this law is a clear case of government trampling on our rights. How it effects you I'm not sure exactly except that maybe they are warning you that your transaction is being watched.

Well, here is an article about it.

Arianna Huffington: U.S. patriots don't hide money offshore

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

So how this act effect a US citizen?

ABW Ambassador
    I was gonna say something, but I'll play nice.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    SSanf is right to be outraged that US corporations are flocking to offshore tax havens to get off paying taxes. These are shell corporate offices with no real staff dodging paying billions to IRS.

Now the Patriot Act is not about these tax cheats. A part of it was designed to sniff out how USA dollars are transfered to buy weapons and fund the growth of terrorist organizations like Al-Quada -Hamas -Hezbolla and others. Once they find a source they close it down even if it's a charity front mixing terrorist funding with worthy causes.

In Detroit alone 4 banks and some money transfer organizations were found to have transfered over 540 million dollars to suspect countries last year.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

The inherrent problem with the Patriot Act is the question of how do you stop terrorism without tramping on individual liberties? It's a huge grey area in someways and a massive line that shouldn't be crossed in others.

Quite simply, there isn't a perfect solution, but I'd rather have my right to privacy and a little terrorism than no terrorism and full government survelliance.

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

The Patriot Act isn't just about offshore money- it also means the government can now tap phone conversations without a warrent and without letting you know.

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

ABW Ambassador
    There is an interesting series of articles currently running in CIO magazine about just this -- how to cope with the PATRIOT act and the fed's request for information, how to update your privacy policy, etc. Began in this month's issue, I believe.

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The inherent problem with the Patriot Act is the question of how do you stop terrorism without tramping on individual liberties? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know the answer but I believe that if we lose our individual liberties, the terrorists WON!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'd rather have my right to privacy and a little terrorism than no terrorism and full government surveillance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree. The price of total safety is way too high. I want a life worth living for myself and my children and that includes individual liberties and personal privacy. As Patrick Henry said, "Give me liberty or give me death."

Yes, I know absolute liberty is anarchy and any reasoning person will understand that is not what I am advocating. But, I feel that the Bill of Rights in our Constitution was pretty right and on target.

Praises to our founding fathers who had endured the hardships of not having liberty and knew very well what they were fighting for.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread