Less is More?
    I am new this forum and I am loving all the great information provided. I am also relatively new to affiliate marketing and I had a question.

Is less more? What I mean by that it is better to have a lot of smaller niche sites or less larger sites? Or, should I do both? Honestly, I have made one site (health related) and it hasn't done that well. I want to learn more and do better next time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Tara

ABW Ambassador
    People have been successful with both types and everything in between. So all types and sizes of sites can work.

Thanks for the advice!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Do whatever you can manage well. The danger of bigger sites is competition can push you out - as a one-man (or woman) band, it can be very difficult to keep pace with a large company that competes. With smaller niche sites you are safer from that threat since you can concentrate on the niche.

And a niche site does not have to be small, particularly if it is a high-demand item. You can produce all types of complementary content that is associated with the niche - this can help get a lot of free search engine traffic.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Less and More
    I have built big multipaged sites and also minisites and the honest truth is i have had the same degree of success with both types.

What you however have to do is make sure that if you are going for a large multipaged site, you must have enough knowledge in that niche to fill all your pages with great content.

Minisites are great in that they are quick and easy to set up and tend to be very tightly targeted. [long tail keywords] If your minisite is in a good niche, then you can turn a quick profit.

Advantage of big sites is that you can optimize different pages for different keywords so catching a wider target audience with one website.

Finally if you are not happy with your site, improve it. You need to realize that affiliate marketing is a real business and you must present a professional front at all times.

You can find a good basic guide to affiliate marketing at [typo in domain returned a 404]. It is a free resource for affiliate marketing newbies

Good luck
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; December 9th, 2007 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    You could do both depending on the goal you have for your website. I think smaller sites are easier to manage. A menu structure can get complicated with a large site. Perhaps you could do medium sites instead of niche or large. :-)

I have been experimenting with this for years and I have concluded that it is not the amount of content, number of banners or text links, it doesnt matter if you have Ebay, Amzon, Google, Datafeed modules or pages and pages and pages of "stuff".......the only thing that matters is can you get them there and if so can you get them to come back.

One of my best producing sites is ONE 468x60 banner smack in the middle of the page - thats it. Talk about limiting choices! The secret to that site is that the actual product itself is prominent in the domain name. Never paid a dime promoting that site either. Just sort of happened.

Good luck with your decisions and don't be afraid to try different things....often.

Thank you so much for all the great advice. I appreciate it so much and I will put it into practice. I am so excited. I am working on a niche topic that I am very passionate about, that is targeted to a certain group of people, and that I have experience in. So, I am anxious to see how it turns out. Thanks again. You all are great.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread