CJ forces affiliates to link to inflexible page destinations?
    The nature of my business requires me to link to specific pages on the merchant's website as I showcase a specific product. The CJ Get Links area doesn't appear to give me the option to create a link that goes to a specific page, only predetermined pages that the merchant set up.

If this is the case, it severaly cuts down on the CJ merchants that my application can feature. This means LS and others will have to be my primary source for merchants that I partner with.

Am I missing something? Or, does CJ happen to have plans to allow destination flexibility?

Thanks!
    David

If the cj merchant doesn't have a specific 'get products' link, or a datafeed, you're probably out of luck. I have heard of affiliates 'rolling their own' links, but don't really know how effective that is.

ABW Ambassador
    It's up to the merchant to enable it, many do. For example, I just picked a merchant at random, Zappos and picked a text link:

View Destination Page
    Advertiser allows URL redirects for this link.
    Advertiser allows image redirects for this link.

So you can pick a specific page you want the link to go to.

The title of your thread is inaccurate. It's not CJ that is blocking links to specific pages, it's the choice of each, individual merchant. I don't deal with merchants that don't allow linking to specific products, and only offer banners that generally just brand their site. In my opinion, they aren't looking for me to generate sales, they just want me to advertise their site. My site displays very few banners. It's all about helping people find the products they are looking for.

And, it's not just CJ. I've encountered several merchants at LinkShare that only offer banners. When I've written to them asking for links to specific products, they tell me that it's not something they want to offer. If they don't offer it, I won't link to their site. I tried linking to one LS site like that, and the only sales I generated were non-commissionable because the cookie had expired. I learned my lesson.

Very good information. Thank you much!

David

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread