The rudest email I have ever received from a merchant.
    Let me first say that I have not gone the extra mile to promote this affiliate program, but I did post a link and have sent them some traffic. As we all know you have to go the extra mile for the ones that are making you cash, and I've have not had the time to really promote this one hard.

But in any case, I removed the links and removed myself from their program and sent an email explaining my thoughts. And now you can all read the email of a bad affiliate manager.

Hello,

I am in the final stages of launching a new version of dancesavvy.com with better look, loading speed, better shopping features and security measures.

What does this mean to you?

Better conversions of all the new customers you send me.

But after all the m.oney I've spent on upgrading my website to make my best customers happy, why do I need you?

I need to recover my investment so we need more sales in the next month. We need to set a sales record.

I am willing to offer a bonus to those who really want to promote the new site.

Now, just like I surveyed my customers to know what they wanted from their shopping experience, I want you to tell me what you need. Why? So we can all make more m.oney.

If you want the bonus and want to make sure I get you all the promotional discount codes, and useful tools I have in my archive, then

email me here:

Make sure to include your name and affiliate ID and the method you use to promote dancesavvy.com. example pay-per-click, banners, email, forums, etc. I'll set you up for success.

Warning: If I don't hear from you by Dec 15, 2007 or this email bounces back, I'll deactivate your status as one of my affiliates.

If you have any suggestions wait till the launch of the new site.

When will the new site launch?
    Within the next week or so.

Happy Holidays!
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Doesn't sound rude to me, just maybe not the best worded email i have read.

ABW Ambassador
    With that, I think it's just how he words things. He's not saying, Why Do I Need You as in I Don't Need You but more asking the question and then answering why he does need you. Having said that and doing a search they did seem to have an issue,

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...&postcount=509

So not sure what's up with that but checking just now and they have some EPC.

A few years ago I got an email from them that didn't quite make sense, saying I needed to click a link in the confirmation email to get the links active:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ght=dancesavvy

Then more searches and Mr. Sal posted about getting an email in 2005 saying they were going to cancel their program at SAS and they did go offline:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ght=dancesavvy

So not sure what happened with that, if they went offline and cancelled, then came back.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Doesn't sound rude to me, just maybe not the best worded email i have read.
    I didn't think it was all that rude until I got to the end part:

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless AM
    Warning: If I don't hear from you by Dec 15, 2007 or this email bounces back, I'll deactivate your status as one of my affiliates.
    A threat. That's good for pissing off about 99% of their affs!

Not to even mention the stupidity of threatening those whose emails bounce. Those affiliates won't ever see the threat, if the email doesn't get through in the first place. *They'll* just get pissed when they're deactivated out of the blue for no good reason!

Plus, the whole thing is stupid. Some of those nonresponders may actually be sending sales. Deactivating anyone for not reading a newsletter is beyond wrongheaded.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    I need to recover my investment so we need more sales in the next month. We need to set a sales record.
    He is either too naive or too honest to try to boss around his affiliates.
    Come on, affiliates are not your employees.

I will not work with this guy at all .

Sounds like someone who is not too business or customer savvy.
    Or maybe the emails are written in another language and a digital translator used. We all know how that can really misrepresent content.

Problem is though that if he handles his affiliates so badly, what will he do with the customers that you send to him? Probably handle them as badly
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think that email was rude. But the program does seem to have trouble settling down. (I just checked shareasale and they are on autodeposit so maybe they are improving themselves allaround). They also autoapprove affiliates so maybe they've just been inundated giving the gaining popularity of ballroom dancing and don't know how to handle it?
    Last edited by Aunt Lily; December 9th, 2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added comment

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I don't think it was rude. I think it was stupid. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't have time to read to the letter every 'newsletter' that I'm sent. I quickly scan the subject to see if it is personal or relevant to me and if not it gets deleted so I can actually promote products. If it is personal (directed at me instead of 'newsletter' or 'coupons that will expire by the time I place them' I take the time to read carefully and reply.

Sticking the warning" reply to this or I'll delete you from our program" won't even be noticed by most of us, and as soon as we realize we are no longer in the program, any links that we've added will be removed.

It was a little bit rude, but awfully misguided, especially considering that the merchant's web site is currently "broken" (with lots of non-working links, and apparently three different versions of the site represented on different pages).

I didn't notice this thread so I posted my own when I saw this email this morning (http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=98534).

Probably most ironic: the merchant's own email address bounced (thus, since he will remove all affiliates who don't reply by December 15, then I guess that on December 16 he will have zero affiliates).

Added: Of course, more irony comes from the fact that that particular merchant was fairly high on my "project list," so I probably would have done some work in the next 45 days, but after that email he is flagged and bumped to the bottom of the list. After the email bounced and I saw how broken the web site was, I changed the designation to 'defunct.'

I once sat at a roundtable discussion at an affiliate summit, where the top dogs in the industry were giving advice on how to take control of your affiliates and get rid of the non-producers. This is how I read this email.....not rude....just a matter of fact. He apparntley only wants to work with people who will play by his rules ( one of them being contacting him by the 15th ) and so be it.

Its great that we are our own boss and we can say " take this job and shove it " at will as I am sure many of his soon to be ex-affiliates will be doing. His choice to write the letter, our choice to respond. Preety cool how it all works out.

Glad I am not in need of some dancing shoe banners as I would have no place to find any now!

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Then more searches and Mr. Sal posted about getting an email in 2005 saying they were going to cancel their program at SAS and they did go offline:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthrea...ight=dancesavvy

So not sure what happened with that, if they went offline and cancelled, then came back.
    Trust, that was a long time ago, but I still got that email.

Here is some more of that email:
    ----------
    Why did we do this?

We are losing many of our exchange link partners to our affiliate program on shareasale. Which means that our link popularity suffers. We would like to invite all our link partners to become affiliates and share in our succes. We also want to help those affiliate who would be better off with an offline marketing strategy. This means you can hand out flyers, business cards, talk to someone and give them your V.I.P code. This code is just your affiliate ID in disguise but your referral will earn 100 reward points from dancesavvy for using your V.I.P. code and you'll get the commission..............
    I liked that program back then, but once I have to remove a directory with many static datafeed pages that are already on the SE's, I might never go back.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Take control of affiliates? Wow that sounds a little harsh. If I wanted to be controlled I'd have a 9-5 gig. By the way, matter of fact and rude are not mutually exclusive.

as an AM, I see this email as matter of fact through most of it except the threat to remove affiliates if the email bounces or they do not respond.

I think the statement of Why Do I Need You, is just dumb. Every affiliate knows why we need them. It is our affiliates who generally generate more sales for our clients then any other form of online activity. So a matter of fact/rude email is just plain unnecessary. I think they should have sent their newsletter to let you know that they have taken the time and made the investment in their site to help you earn more commissions. But to threaten affiliates with removal should only be used in the case of affiliates who are practicing skathy ways or violating agreements. Not because they haven't replied to your newsletter.

I have several affiliates whom I have tried repeatedly to make personal contact with, and still have not heard back from them. They are not doing anything wrong, I am just reaching out to them because I want to offer the ability to place any tracking code on my clients site for them if they need it. Stating I am going to remove them form not hearing from them would be stupid on my part, and those are personal, one on one emails, but in a newsletter. Heck I get at least six newsletters everyday, I scan them and toss them as well, without reading every word. I expect the same from my affiliates.

I am just baffled at how an AM would think that threatening their affiliates would ever be a good idea.....

That's just my $0.02

Smiles

I received the same e-mail.

Does the AM really believe I'll respond positively?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Nah - that's not a rude email. A rude email from an AM would be:

"Your dad wears Sansabelt polyester pants and your mother has one eyebrow!!" Now THAT would be rude!! (unless your dad wears sansabelt pants and your mom has one eyebrow)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I tried to reply to the same email I got. I was, in a nice tone, going to let this fellow know what damage he was doing by referring him to this thread. But it bounced. Twice.

I quit this program. I think a while back they went offline so I removed their links. Now I see that they have auto-deposit. The email I got does not make me too eager to jump back in with them however. I would be kicked out in a few days anyway.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

That's nothing. I once had a merchant literally taunt me and call me names because I wasn't delivering much traffic.

They were some crappy merchant using an AOL email address or something like that. I couldn't believe it. I dropped them faster than any merchant I've ever dropped.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    Its great that we are our own boss and we can say " take this job and shove it " at will as I am sure many of his soon to be ex-affiliates will be doing. His choice to write the letter, our choice to respond. Preety cool how it all works out.
    Yes, any affiliate manager who tried to pressure me gets deleted from my account, last thing I need is some jerk trying to pressure me & act like an employer with deadlines. I would have sent an email back with the words in bold I DON"T NEED YOU!. If you disagree with this then reply in writing by the 15th of Dec
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread