Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Full Member
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2006
    Posts
    370
    Coupons with no commission?
    Have you guys ever put a coupon on your coupon site which you didnt have an affiliate program or you were not part of their program?

  2. #2
    Full Member
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2006
    Posts
    370
    Also do you have to remove all your expired coupons or can you just keep the links up as that would make for a lot of work removing them from your site?

  3. #3
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    Yes, sure, I've done that, non-aff coups. I do lots of special deals, testing, visitor serving and have circumstances that make it interesting to do, but generally the aff links are how I monetize my efforts, so it's got to make business sense for me to do so - I get paid for (or I benefit from) my work that serves my merchants and my visitors, I'm not doing this for fun - so it's gotta make sense in other ways for me to do it.

    You should program your site to dynamically remove expired coupons. Many merchants have policies to drive you in that direction and automating it, means it zero work, other than entering the expiration date, which you should already be doing. Removing expired coupons is also consistent with serving your visitors.

  4. #4
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2007
    Location
    West Covina, CA
    Posts
    8,443
    I've got all my expired coupons on the same page as my product links for 8-track tape players, pet rocks, and Tandy TRS-80s.

    Why would you even think it wise to keep expired links (and non-commissionable links) around, 1) taking up valuable space where active links could make sales, and 2) p*ssing off potential customers who think they found a deal and then are upset when they see it expired, maybe weeks, months, years, ago?

    If you're not willing to put in the time necessary to be successful at this business, then perhaps you should look elsewhere for a career.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

  5. #5
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Coupon sites are difficult to maintain uless you automate the process as Donuts pointed out. Having expired coupons on a site would make for very angry customers that will tend to NOT return to your site and they will tell their friends to stay away as well.

    There are many other types of sites that are successful at affiliate marketing, that aren't as deadline intensive. You might want to explore those instead.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador Daniel M. Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,082
    Also do you have to remove all your expired coupons
    Have you ever gone looking for coupons yourself? Have you ever been pissed off when you come across a site that keeps expired coupons up?

    Answer those, and you'll answer your original question.

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    "Have you guys ever put a coupon on your coupon site which you didnt have an affiliate program or you were not part of their program?"

    Yes but only in a few cases. There are a few merchants out there that don't have a program but they're very popular and a lot of people look for their coupons and they have some available. It's more to bring value to my site visitors.

    "Also do you have to remove all your expired coupons or can you just keep the links up as that would make for a lot of work removing them from your site?"

    I remove mine, don't see the sense in having them up if they don't work. Poor experience all the way around and I still do it manually and it just takes me about 15 minutes a night to remove them.

  8. #8
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    When I first started my site, probably half of the coupons and bargains I listed weren't affiliate links. Now, I can't even keep up with all of the merchants who do have affiliate programs, so very few non-affiliate ones are listed. Like Trust, I can see where some coupons and promotions draw enough traffic that it's worth promoting them without affiliate links.

    15 minutes a night to manually remove expired bargains? Man, that's over 2 weeks (at 40 hours a week) of work per year. Automate it already. You won't regret it.

    I'm a huge believer in automation.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    It's actually about 3.8 days of work a year. Oh nevermind, I see how you worded it. So yours is right too. But I just do regular html, do agree I should learn the other stuff to automate things.

  10. #10
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    15 minutes a night to manually remove expired bargains? Man, that's over 2 weeks (at 40 hours a week) of work per year. Automate it already. You won't regret it.
    Although your suggestion is good, not everyone knows how to automate a site.

    A suggestion to those who don't know how to automate might be to keep the coupons in a certain section to facilitate updates.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    You know it actually doesn't take me that long to update coupons on a daily basis manually. I probably have over 1000 merchants and I have timed myself a few times and it's always around the 2 hr. mark. That's purely updating the coupons for my current merchants. Now at the end of the month, first few days of a month, there are some long days since most coupons expire at the end of the month and there is a lot of putting up the new coupons to do.

    But on a normal day pretty easy. I take the other time to maybe find new merchants, work on other things I'm interested in, etc.

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador purplebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,960
    psssst Trust - since I don't have a clue how it's done and I agree with ya that I should learn how to do it too, (umm don't even know where to start on how to learn it tho since don't have a clue even where to start ) so why don't you learn and then you can teach me.

  13. #13
    Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2006
    Location
    Mansfield, Texas
    Posts
    1,561
    I can not imagine going back and manually removing all the deals, sales and coupons at expiration. My gosh. We spend too much time manually entering them. Sure as heck don't wanna spend similar amounts of time removing em.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    I guess it depends how people do things. Just removing a coupon literally takes a second or two for me. As far as removing them at expiration it's kind of automatic when I add a new one.

    For example a merchant has a coupon that expires on 12/31 and they send out a new one before that date that starts on 1/1. So that night I just take the new one and copy and paste over the old one and upload the site around midnight. So in one swoop I've removed and added a new one.

  15. #15
    MasterMike HardwareGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,810
    I put up coupons even if I don't get comish on them, I mean after all my site makes more money on CPM ads than comish so regardless if I make no comish on the sale I am making some money on that user even if it's a fraction of a fraction of a cent

  16. #16
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    In some circumstances, they can also be a good source of traffic to your site. If nobody else carries a coupon for that merchant (example, they have no aff program), and you decide to do it for free, you may get some seo traffic that has no other place to go because no other coupon site carries it - those visitors you get might revisit next time they need a coupon to find one that you can monetize. One problem with this strategy is getting the coupons - making contact with the right person who can give you a real savings deal can be difficult.

    In some cases, I've made private deals where I'm running heavy product ppc or promotion from my site and I consider the coupon path to be a leak and I offer to close it for free, if the circumstances are right for me, and the merchant.

    Generally though, these are very rare exceptions for me.

  17. #17
    Full Member
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2006
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Yes, sure, I've done that, non-aff coups. I do lots of special deals, testing, visitor serving and have circumstances that make it interesting to do, but generally the aff links are how I monetize my efforts, so it's got to make business sense for me to do so - I get paid for (or I benefit from) my work that serves my merchants and my visitors, I'm not doing this for fun - so it's gotta make sense in other ways for me to do it.

    You should program your site to dynamically remove expired coupons. Many merchants have policies to drive you in that direction and automating it, means it zero work, other than entering the expiration date, which you should already be doing. Removing expired coupons is also consistent with serving your visitors.

    I know Gossamer links does the whole expiring do you use that on your site or your own customized version?

  18. #18
    Full Member
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2006
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I put up coupons even if I don't get comish on them, I mean after all my site makes more money on CPM ads than comish so regardless if I make no comish on the sale I am making some money on that user even if it's a fraction of a fraction of a cent
    You make your money via people paying you to advertise on your site cost per impression?

  19. #19
    Full Member
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2006
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I guess it depends how people do things. Just removing a coupon literally takes a second or two for me. As far as removing them at expiration it's kind of automatic when I add a new one.

    For example a merchant has a coupon that expires on 12/31 and they send out a new one before that date that starts on 1/1. So that night I just take the new one and copy and paste over the old one and upload the site around midnight. So in one swoop I've removed and added a new one.
    Gotcha.. But if you have a site with about 300 coupons on it like some of the massive ones and they all expire at different times and days

    You have got to be doing some major tracking otherwise you would miss links right?

    Now with Gossamer apparently you can set a link to come off the page after a set time.. you paste it in set the date it expires and after that it comes off the page

  20. #20
    ABW Ambassador newestuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2007
    Posts
    505
    do a search for some store that doesn't have coupons, like 'victoria secret codes" and there are a lot of places who promote them, and they don't have an affilaite program. But if your site doesn't suck, you will hopefully gain a customer that will come back next time they need something else.

  21. #21
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    As far as Victoria's Secret, they always have coupons.

  22. #22
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Quote Originally Posted by easylife
    Gotcha.. But if you have a site with about 300 coupons on it like some of the massive ones and they all expire at different times and days

    You have got to be doing some major tracking otherwise you would miss links right?

    Now with Gossamer apparently you can set a link to come off the page after a set time.. you paste it in set the date it expires and after that it comes off the page
    Not sure how others work. Most coupon sites have major categories, mine has less than 30 and most sites have a page for each merchant. So i just have to scroll down those less than 30 pages and remove the code from the page and the merchant. Like I said, it takes me 15 minutes max a day, so nothing major on a normal day. And then a lot of the massive ones do have it automated, so not that big a deal to them. I'm sure they have it setup where it works pretty smooth.

  23. #23
    MasterMike HardwareGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,810
    Quote Originally Posted by easylife
    You make your money via people paying you to advertise on your site cost per impression?
    yup and each visitor generates 3 ad impressions per page visit.

  24. #24
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I remove mine, don't see the sense in having them up if they don't work. Poor experience all the way around and I still do it manually and it just takes me about 15 minutes a night to remove them.
    Time to hire a developer to build you a better system =)

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  25. #25
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    There are some fairly successful social deal sites that allow users to submit coupons. Because the site isn't biased towards whether the links are affiliate links or not the consumers are more willing to use the site and return. Offering free links is a great way to differentiate yourself from affiliate sites that refuse to do so.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 24th, 2013, 01:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •