Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How Many Hours Are you Glued to Your Computer?
    I ask that question because I am curious to know what I should be shooting for.

First, when you were a newbie, like myself, in internet marketing, how many hours did you focus on your business daily? Was there a set amount of hours that you felt truly made a difference in your success? Say for instance, you went from working 2 hours a day to 4 hours a day. My second question is, presently, how many hours do you work?

I have read recently of a single mom who has been a internet marketer for years, she's a few years older than myself and she works around 12 hours a day. Is that common?

I still have two children that are 4 and 23 months old, (oldest is 9) so I am trying to balance time with them and spending time working on my business. I want to succeed badly. Would working 4 hours a day be plenty to start out with in this business and see results?

Thanks for your advice. I'm like a sponge right now.

ABW Ambassador
    When I was a newbie, I still had a job, so couldn't spend the same amount of time on the computer as I can now. But used to stay up late trying to figure all this stuff out, till about 2 or 3 in the morning and had to wake up about 8. So was usually tired most of the time. But at the time, usually only worked late hours because of work, gf, friends etc. There is an old thread here somewhere, will try to find it, where they were doing this part time and managed to crack $10,000 a month, so I guess it's how you work when you do.

Not sure how many actual hours I work now but am on the computer too much

Way too many.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I still have a full-time job (computer related). So, I am usually 12-14 hours per day at a computer. Balancing time between family, job and business is difficult - business growth therefore slow (unfortunately).

Chris

Really just depends on how many hours it takes to get the job done. When I was starting out I set goals on the number of datafeeds I added to my site. I was shooting for maybe 5 to 10 feeds per week. If you're starting a coupon site maybe aim to add 200 coupons per week. Or if you've got a blog you can shoot for two posts per day. It's important to have tangible goals that affect the bottom line. Consumers like daily updates, so spend as many hours as it takes to keep them happy. It's not the number of hours you spend, but the amount of content you produce on a regular basis.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks for all your replies!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    24/7 and it's still not enough *sigh*
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I work 32 hours a week at the bookstore and at least that many at AM. My husband works monster hours at his job and is gone quite a bit, so the balance thing isn't an issue most days! But I'm one of those people who needs at least 7 or 8 hours of sleep a night so that is an issue!

I've noticed too much time at the computer can be counter productive for me.

Taking time away to take a bike ride, hang out with friends, travel, or do anything else fun not-on-a-computer can really help clear my mind and make me focus.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdig
    I've noticed too much time at the computer can be counter productive for me.

Taking time away to take a bike ride, hang out with friends, travel, or do anything else fun not-on-a-computer can really help clear my mind and make me focus.
    Thanks for the reminder, Zdig.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

This last year I was glued, more than I ever planned to spend. That's about to change. The checklist from the shakedown cruise is complete. (I used to think that was a nautical term, I recently learned it's a financial term) Maiden Voyage is in the planning stage, and the only computer I'm taking does navigation.

I am the kind of person that needs about 8 hours of sleep too or I am no fun to be around. My husband works 2nd shift, so when my kids finally go down for a nap, it's his and mine only time alone all day before has to go to work at 2:00. So, my quiet time to get AM done is early morning before everyone gets up and then at night once kids go to bed at 8:00. I got three hours in last night and hope to start working at least 5 hours a day. I do not watch TV at night anymore, I end up watching my favorite shows on on the computer on the weekends. I am leaving the daytime open for my kids and husband right now. We'll see how it works. thanks for all the replies.

It's not necessarily how many hours you work, but HOW you work. I can easily spend hours on the computer and get hardly any work done (reading posts, checking stats, goofing off, etc). Then there are times I can spend just a few hours and get a lot done. I find it easier to make a "to-do" list and stick to it, this way I am more productive.

15-17 hours a day, and my eyes do not like it... My heart does. So I'm staying where my heart is, and doing my best to give my eyes the rest they need.

Geno

Ditto what Geno said...
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I prefer to look at it as how many hours I am not glued to it.

We lost power here in OKC last night due to the ice storms. I was still up at about 2am using my laptop and cellular modem when I fell asleep and choked on something. Then had to follow Rexanne's sig advice and just walk away.

Power just came back on and I went in and turned on both UPS ASAP to get those charged up again for our two machines in the office. People are a waitin' for work !
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    When I first started out I had another full time job, so I worked about 25 hrs a week on the computer. when I realized that wasn't enough time to get done what I had to do, I quit the other job and went full time with this one, about 50 hrs a week, spread out between mornings, afternoon, nights and weekends. I figure even if I spend more time on the computer then a 40 hr a week job, that I don't have any commute time, so might as well work and get things going well.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I think I spend almost all my "free time" on the computer, but only a fraction of that time is spent on adding new links.
    Forums, stat checking, research (how to do something), site updating, email checking, etc. take up plenty.

We are only "productive" about 20% of the time.

I spend about 3 hours a day on this stuff (one hour each way on the bus into work at the day job, and another hour throughout the work day and evening checking stats and jotting down ideas that come to mind).

I used to spend quite a bit more than that, but it was tearing family life apart.

This is a much more sustainable approach, and something I think I can easily manage this coming year.

I try to post an article a week, but sometimes it stretches out to 2 weeks. The rest of the time I promote the article I wrote, and start planning out the next one (which usually involves contacting a merchant and asking them for a free one to review for them, which they're usually happy to provide).

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I used to spend quite a bit more than that, but it was tearing family life apart.
    Consider yourself lucky that you have a family
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks Rhia - I truly do!

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Thanks Rhia - I truly do!
    I often wish I did. I have relatives I just never created my own and often I wish that I had.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Computer related full-time job + business = up to 18 hours...

I spend also way to much time on the computer. Before work, during lunch, after work and then on the weekends all I can. Um probably about 30+ hours a week on this,

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I often wish I did. I have relatives I just never created my own and often I wish that I had.
    This post might be But I don't care!
    -----------------------

Rhia,

I believe that you and I, have some few weird things in common!

You're looking for love in all the wrong places, and I wish that one day I find what I am have been looking for somewhere, without sounding so desperate.

But, .........

That post you made, have drown my eyes in tears, because I know what you mean about "I just never created my own".

The main thing is that we're not getting any younger, and the longer we both keep on searching and looking for the right (other halve) the older we get.

Who knows, maybe next year (08), we both get lucky and find a true love.

But on the mean time, I would like to give you a link to a sad song in Español.

You have said before that you knew some spanish, so here is my sad song for you and I: From Juan Gabriel - Yo no Naci Para Amar

--------------

Now the other people can get back on topic on this thread:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast