Good Luck Steve Madden
    I just wanted to take a moment to wish the Steve Madden program great success. Since they do not allow the use of their name in ad copy and or in PPC bidding, about the only thing you can bid on is ........ ummmmmmm..... wellllll.... give me a minute.......... a......... I got it! "SHOE".

Best wishes........

I did 250K in shoes last year and they declined my ap... They new I was not going to aggressively promote them. So I do not blame them for not wanting to carry me. It is unrealistic to think I would try and drive customers to my site or directly to theirs using nothing but generic terms... I should not have applied. My bad...

The best things in life are not things at all...

ABW Ambassador
    These are one of the cases that don't make much sense where the merchant name/domain/tm is the product people search on. And affiliates could easily bid on them, put them in ad copy etc. and send traffic to other merchants, since there are plenty carrying steve madden shoes.

What trust said. In the low-margin high-reversal high-competition world of shoe sales, it ain't a good move.

ABW Ambassador
    Ugg Australia did the same thing. When I first started out, they allowed it and I was making good sales. Then they said you couldn't, so another shoe merchant got those sales instead. Either way, some Steve Madden or Ugg Australia boots are going to get sold by some merchant, might as well be them. So never understood this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Ugg Australia did the same thing. When I first started out, they allowed it and I was making good sales. Then they said you couldn't, so another shoe merchant got those sales instead. Either way, some Steve Madden or Ugg Australia boots are going to get sold by some merchant, might as well be them. So never understood this kind of thing.
    Might as well just promote Uggs through another store - I had a long email thread with their affiliate manager about this, and their team just didn't understand the benefits... It's not like they have a protected trademark on Google, either.

ABW Ambassador
    "Might as well just promote Uggs through another store"

It's exactly what I did - "so another shoe merchant got those sales instead."

I tried explaining it to them at the time also. They just weren't getting it.

15 years and counting
    So new and already working full speed with eBates.
    10% Cash Back + Moe Money Maker in action
    No need to feel bad for a declined ap

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Nice brand though.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

We need to see what these merchants see when they get our apps, because if I saw someone doing 250k in shoe sales I think that would be a nice affiliate to have.

And what is up with not having a merchants name in the AdCopy, then what is the purpose of having an affiliate program?

Also, I noticed a new feature on SAS, when you apply to a new program they now have a comment box to send in your promotional methods before applying to a program. Even though I do bypass this, I still think its a good idea so merchants have a better understanding how their affiliates will be promoting them!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by affmark98
    We need to see what these merchants see when they get our apps, because if I saw someone doing 250k in shoe sales I think that would be a nice affiliate to have.
    At CJ we see your number of bars and whether you are a CJP or not, and if you are brand new. We have no way of knowing you sold xx # of dollars worth of anything specific unless you email the merchant and tell them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    At CJ we see your number of bars and whether you are a CJP or not, and if you are brand new. We have no way of knowing you sold xx # of dollars worth of anything specific unless you email the merchant and tell them.
    Thanks loxly for that info. I am 5 bars and have been around 4 years, but I can not make it using generic terms. It is not worth my effort just to slap a token banner up somewhere on one or 2 of my sites...

Thanks again for the info though about what merchants see through CJ..
    The best things in life are not things at all...

Their distributors pay higher commission on their products than they do. Nothing more needs to be said.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I had the same exchange with UGG a whle back - i.e you guys will make a better margin if I send the sales straight to you but they weren't interested.

Steve Madden is another case of cluelessness. You can't use the name in ad copy but every text link they have posted has the brand or domain name in it so if you use the links they put in there you'll have the name in the ad copy on your page.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread