Why does this happen with Google Adwords?
    Ok, so I had a campaign and it is doing ok so I figured I would raise the amount per click just by around 0.05 cents and when I did this I got a message that said "min bid $10.00.

The site is exactly the same and the keywords are very targeted for that specific site.

It has run for almost this entire past week without problem.

Any advice here would be great.

Thanks,
    Matt

I've had this happen as well. It may be that any changes prompt your quality score(s) to be addressed and Google slaps to be administered! There is some debate on how to handle this -- including using a better destination url, display url, starting a new campaign, etc. Some of these approaches only have a limited life before the slap reappears.

Try to use a better display Url, get a better quality score and you wont get these problems.

Strange - I haven't had this experience, and I've been bumping bid rates up and down quite a bit this week. Are these "brand new" campaigns or keywords, where you're doing the bid changes within the first 2-3 days? If so, the "slap" may just be the normal quality-score adjustment that happens after the Google adbot indexes your pages.

Are you seeing changes in Quality Score to explain the changes? I often have campaigns that launch as "OK" quality score, and then a bunch of keywords are bumped to "Poor" after 24-72 hours, with the minimum-bids popping way up. I also see the reverse -- campaigns that launch with "OK" but then after 24-72 hours it's "Great" and the minimum-bid rates drop.

I had this happen on one of my sites several months ago. After contacting G I was informed that a merchant that I had added to the site that specialized in "Designer Replica Jewelry" was the issue and they directed me to this page Counterfeit Designer Goods. I have other merchants that also sell this type of jewelry and it had never been an issue until I added this one particular merchant. It took several weeks after I removed the merchant for my bids to return to a reasonable level.

The merchant in question IMO was not selling counterfeit goods and was very clear about the fact that the products that they were selling were imitations. This fact had absolutely no affect on the big G's stand. What I did find interesting was that they didn't remove the ads, they just bumped the price up to a ridiculous level. What that says to me is that there is a place in G for counterfeit goods, at a price.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

It sounds like your quality score was affected by a change. Did you change your ad text, url, or landing page?

The site is exactly the same and the keywords are very targeted for that specific site.
    G does not seem to rank PPC landing pages with the same algo as it does natural SERPS. What was your quality score for the words before you changed you bid?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread