Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    October 25th, 2006
    Posts
    123
    Any thoughts on this idea?
    Does anyone here have experience with doing adwords for ads in different languages?

    I have been thinking about maybe doing some spanish ones as the keywords may be a lot cheaper.

    Any thoughts/suggestions here would be good.

    Matt

  2. #2
    Comfortably Numb John Powell's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2005
    Location
    Bayou Country, LA
    Posts
    3,432
    Just my opinion, but a more descriptive title would get more response.


  3. #3
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Just my opinion, but a more descriptive title would get more response.
    amen.



    You could have a campaign in Spanish for the U.S. only the market in the U.S. is limited. merchant pages are still in English which would cause confusion if someone isn't bilingual and how many Spanish speakers in the U.S. reading a page in Spanish are bilingual... only a few most are immigrants.
    If you expand to include the largest markets in Spanish like Mexico, Argentina, etc. you'll have the problem of merchants that won't ship out of the U.S. or charge extremely high shipping costs, so you'd be mostly stuck with digital downloads and membership commissions.

  4. #4
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    You could have a campaign in Spanish for the U.S. only the market in the U.S. is limited. merchant pages are still in English which would cause confusion if someone isn't bilingual and how many Spanish speakers in the U.S. reading a page in Spanish are bilingual... only a few most are immigrants.
    This doesn't reflect my personal experiences, my marketing experiences or the numbers I can uncover at factfinder.census.gov.

    There's much to differ on, but let me address the idea that it's a limited market.

    All markets are limited, it's a relative word. Affiliate marketing is often about exploiting niches that bigger entities don't, so keep that relativity in mind, because sometimes it's a benefit.

    At the factfinder site, in their 2006 report called "Characteristics of People by Language Spoken at Home", I can easily calculate that there are 26.4 million people in the US, with incomes above the poverty line, where Spanish is the language they speak in their home. Keep digging through other census data and you'll learn that the majority of these people are bilingual. I'd say a pool of over 20 million people, where you can easily make a strong tie in between their demographics / language / culture and products known to be of interest to the same, is hardly a "limited" market problem.

    If the product is in any way tied into Hispanic culture, I've found there's a very good chance you can get excellent reactions from interested bilingual buyers residing in the US whether they're searching in English or Spanish or Spanglish.

    Shake off the assumptions most make and test out something new, this is what affiliates do.

  5. #5
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    It sounds like you are agreeing with me not disagreeing.

    You are limiting to the US Spanish market at home and by saying their 'culture' I assume you mean the chicano culture not the immigrant (not very bilingual market) They speak more Spanglish than Spanish.

    I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that it would be limited. I think 20 million out of all the people who speak Spanish in the entire world is limited. Compare that to the approx. 109 million Spanish speakers in Mexico (the largest population of Spanish speakers in the world) Spain has about 48 million. Argentina approx 40 million, etc.

  6. #6
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    It sounds like you are agreeing with me not disagreeing.
    Nope, we definitely disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    You are limiting to the US Spanish market at home and by saying their 'culture' I assume you mean the chicano culture not the immigrant (not very bilingual market) They speak more Spanglish than Spanish.
    Nope, I am just limiting my PPC to countries I can ship to.

    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that it would be limited. I think 20 million out of all the people who speak Spanish in the entire world is limited. Compare that to the approx. 109 million Spanish speakers in Mexico (the largest population of Spanish speakers in the world) Spain has about 48 million. Argentina approx 40 million, etc.
    You're kidding here right? As far as defining a niche, you'd call a 20 million person base demograph to be limiting? Granted there are bigger "niches", but this one's no small thing.

  7. #7
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Nope, we definitely disagree.
    Nope, I am just limiting my PPC to countries I can ship to.
    That is the reason why I explained those limitations to be aware of the possibities.... you STILL sound like you're agreeing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    You're kidding here right? As far as defining a niche, you'd call a 20 million person base demograph to be limiting? Granted there are bigger "niches", but this one's no small thing.
    Niches are by nature limited. If you'd tell me that niches are NOT limited then I'd say that you're disagreeing with me. :-)
    I'd say only about 5% of Spanish speakers is a niche and someone planning to start a PPC campain with Adsense should be aware of what that entails which was my purpose in the first place. Just because someone speaks Spanish in a home in a census. That isn't necesarily the same person in the home who speaks English as well and fluently. I wouldn't be surprised if a good portion of those "bilingual homes" are really immigrant parents with children who were born and or grew up in the U.S.

    Please re-read my original reply to my thread. You say you disagree, but haven't said anything to refute it. Perhaps you are trying to read into my comments something that I never said.

    In any case I'm going to leave this thread as is since I've already informed about the limitations that exist when using Spanish ads, so that the campaign could be made more effective.

  8. #8
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    Okay, you're right, we do agree.

    I'm kidding.

  9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 31st, 2011, 06:49 PM
  2. Any thoughts on this idea?
    By mweidner2782 in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
  3. Your THoughts on this Idea
    By IANWA in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 29th, 2003, 12:16 PM
  4. Good Idea - Bad Idea???
    By Packy in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: August 18th, 2003, 08:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •