Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We're sick Sick SICK of other scooter websites stealing our images! We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore!

Uhhh, but we need some help. I've seen sites with images that disable the right click function. That sounds like what we need. Can anyone here tell me where to go to buy that (or better yet... get that functionality FREE). Or is it just some simple code we add to the image. If yes, please point me to the code.

Also, we'd need a solution that wouldn't interfere with our affiliates placing these images.

Have a better idea... shoot!

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

Frank,

There are two ways I can think of doing this, by .htaccess and the JavaScript you mentioned. Although they have some fallbacks and can be difficult to set-up.

Modifying your .htaccess file you could exclude the domains of websites hotlinking your images, and your affiliates would still be able to link to your images as usual. This method only requires one modification to set-up although will require the domain names of any new hotlinkers that appear. I'm not certain how to do this and I am sure you could find someone more knowledgeable than me on these forums, although the code I use in my .htaccess is the following:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} http://hotlinker.com
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://hotlinker.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Naturally, the hotlinker.com is changed to the hotlinking website.

Also you mentioned a "no right click" script, which although popular can be irritating to your visitors who might have legitamite reasons for right clicking, and may not be the best option. Although if you're certain that you'd like to include a "no right click" you can find the code for one at DynamicDrive. You would need to insert this code on every page where you'd like to protect the images.

Hope that helps.

}:8) Supermoo

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Disabled right-clicking is irritating as H to anyone looking to bookmark your site.

I would suggest .htaccess to stop the hotlinking. Make a special directory for your affs to use and set it up so it's not affected by the .htaccess code. That way, casual hotlinkers who don't know about the special directory will be out of luck. Of course you need to name the spec. directory something unexpected or they'll just guess it!

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~T.G. Sheppard. NOT Frank Sinatra!

ABW Ambassador
    Don't include no right click code, not much can make me a leave a site sooner.

Really nothing technical that you can do here. Unless they are in fact hotlinking, which, I find hard to believe.

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ...

ABW Ambassador
    plus... the no right click can be worked around, easily. Just because someone can not right click on a page doesnt mean they can't highlight something and copy it, then paste.

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

They can always view source also to get the image location..

Maybe a small copyright notice at the bottom of your images?

I think a large copyright notice would do it, hehe, nothing like advertising your site for free on other scooter sites.

Sorry you are having trouble with a bunch of lame-brains out there.

If someone is sophisticated (and low) enough to steal your images for their own use, disabling the right-click will not deter them. All one has to do is go to the browser cache and simply click and drag the images from there to a working directory on their computer.

Disabling right click doesn't do anything but irritate users. Your best bet might be to put a strong watermark into your images.

Fred

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." Abraham Lincoln

If you're sure they stole your images, have a lawyer send them a short "cease-and-desist" letter or e-mail. A good-bet scare-tactic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Disabling right click doesn't do anything but irritate users. Your best bet might be to put a strong watermark into your images <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> This is a good idea for the immediate future. Anyone who is linking to your images would immediately become an advertiser and they may not discover it for days. And... imagine the panic they will be in when they do discover it. They will have to remove them leaving holes on their page or leave them up until they find more. SWEET.

ABW Ambassador
    You could always imbed a copyright clause in one of the layers and have legal give them a wack on the wrist.

IamJaloppy

Thanks all. I guess right click disabling is the way to go.

We've been experimenting with a watermark. That keeps away the hotlinkers, but evil doers can still copy the image and edit out the watermark. We'll add the copywright to the watermark.

If anybody can point me to an example of a real effective watermark that's doesn't distort the image too much but is difficult to edit out... let me know.

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

I dont agree with the disable right click either. Stop the hotlinkers (if any) that is a must.

If someone wants your images, they will get them whatever you do.... I did once find a site that used some kind of script to protect their images... I think it was a earth satelite picture type site.... it replaced the image with a copyright jpg when you did a save as.

If you disable the right click, someone can still copy the window and crop out the un-needed bits in a graphics program

My 2c
    Tj

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I dont agree with the disable right click either. Stop the hotlinkers (if any) that is a must. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto!

I like the way fotoseach does it ...

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    If someone is hotlinking, rename all your real images and replace the old ones with really really REALLY bad pr0n. Thats always loads of fun.

There is absolutely no way to stop a determined thief from saving an image off of your site. Even the tricks those sites TJ was talking about use can be beat. Some form of watermarking is a good idea.

----
    -J

ABW Ambassador
    You can always get around that right click disable by turning off javascript in the browser. It is not fool-proof.

IamJaloppy

I like Haiko's idea best. You need something like "buy it cheaper at UrbanScooters.com" on all your images Call it free advertising!

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water

Haiko,

Yeah, I love that photo. That kind of watermarking will do the trick. We'll replace COPYWRIGHT with UrbanScooters.com, then put the copywright notice in the lower right corner.

Now this marked image is also the image we'll provide to affiliates. The image can just as easily be stolen from our affiliate's website as it can ours. If that's a problem, scream now or forever hold your peace.

Ohhhhhh I hate image thieves... they make me soooo mad

Thanks all,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

Frank,

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I can certainly understand the problem but I really really don't want to use banners that can cause the customer to shortcut by me and cost me a click later. It is almost as bad as those 800 numbers we've all been *****ing about.

Yes, you can have some control over hotlinking from known IP numbers, but the defense for people doing outright copying has to be a legal one. Threats of lawyers, that is.

If you must bury copyright info with your url to be visible in the picture I'm not going to argue -- this is definitely needing a serious response to the copyright ripoff.

Too bad it is happening; I really love those banners.

_____
    She was only a stableman's daughter, but all the horsemen knew her.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If that's a problem, scream now or forever hold your peace.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only one thing to scream about:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> COPYWRIGHT <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That spelling!

There is no "W" in copyright! Please make sure the correct spelling is in your watermarks, etc.

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~T.G. Sheppard. NOT Frank Sinatra!

[This message was edited by Leader on April 23, 2003 at 01:06 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    LOL, its COPYWRITE!

----
    -J

Ha. Uhhhh... that's the English spelling, yeah, that's the ticket. I'll make sure to Atomica all my posts from here on out.

Herb... I'm not talking about our banners. Just the product images we have on our site and make available to our affiliates. Thanks for noticing our banners. Personally, I love 'em, too.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

Tsk, Joseph...you've been looking at too many non-textual content sites!

Copyright = copy right = the right to copy. The owner of a copyright has the rights to copy something, and the ability to grant those rights to others.

A "wright", on the other hand, is "One who is engaged in a mechanical or manufacturing business; an artificer; a workman; a manufacturer; a mechanic; esp., a worker in wood; -- now chiefly used in compounds, as in millwright, wheelwright, etc." (From Dictionary.com)

Therefore, a copy*W*right is someone who manufactures copies, but not someone who necessarily has any right to do so.

Writing out a copy (Copywrite) isn't it either...

Here's some other sites that have reason to spell it--the US Copyright office, and Dictionary.com!

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=copyright

@ Frank--I'm more concerned about the wrong kind of copyright appearing on all those pics of yours, than your posts. After all, there are posts here that make that look minor! But I know I'm not the only one who won't run an ad with a misspelling in it--and nothing like having one plastered across a pic multiple times!

[Edited to clarify]

[This message was edited by Leader on April 23, 2003 at 03:56 AM.]

ABW Ambassador

I do like those non-textual content sites.

I'm not the best speeler myself, butt, I'm pretty anal about at least trying to git it korrect!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>After all, there are posts here that make that look minor!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> So true.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast