credit card fraud
    i think that credit card fraud must be a big problem for merchants. because if the action the merchant specifies is "submit credit card number" then the affiliate is paid right then, even if the credit card is maxed out or the number is fake.

the only way i can think around this is for the merchant to compare the actual sales they made in a given month with the sales the affiliate network reports through their tracking tools and seeing if they are the same. but that seems really time-consuming and it would only catch fraud after it already happened so you'd still have the dispute.

does anyone know which affiliate network is the best at accurately tracking sales? which has the best anti-fraud system?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    i think that credit card fraud must be a big problem for merchants. because if the action the merchant specifies is "submit credit card number" then the affiliate is paid right then, even if the credit card is maxed out or the number is fake.
    I don't know of any merchant that pays just for the *submission* of a CC number.

Usually the commission trigger is on the page that comes up AFTER the card's been accepted as valid, not merely submitted. So, the only legit way to get a commission from those sales is if the CC not only is entered, but passes.

My best anti-fraud suggestion is just to NOT specify "submit credit card number." Your system should be able to report in real-time whether the card was accepted--at which point, it's no problem to specify "a sale occurs" (or words to that effect) as the payout trigger. You'd put the Code on the confirmation page that comes up when the real-time authorization processor's system sends the okay. If the processor says it's NOT okay, the page with the commission code never shows, so you pay no commish.

Some merchants try to squeak by with some lame-ant system where they don't confirm the card validity right away, and these programs are indeed plagued by reversals. But that's easy for merchants to avoid. They just need to get a real ecommerce-competent credit-card processor and cart that validates everything in real-time! Considering that even free carts can handle real-time transactions when hooked up with a payment processor like Authorize.net, there's really no excuse for using a "rickety" or ultra-obsolete system for payment acceptance.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

And if you need to tighten it down, you can ping an identity verification service that helps weed out fraudulent consumers.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread