Newbies vs oldtimers - Who's on first?
    WTF are some newbies complaining about?

How many posts they need in order to post their site link on their signature, or get a PM access?

Why?

If all they they need is a "Site Review", all they ned is to post their site on the "Site / Logo / Banner Review Forum" and deal with the advise they get there.

If all they want is to just get a signature privilege just to get a back link, or to spam the forum, they can go to hell.

I have been here for over four years, and I still can't use this View Who's Online link, not even with my almost 4k posts, so wtf are you newbies complaining about?

So fk-off and stop complaining. You just got here today, and you already want a signature privilege and a PM too?

Life sucks, so deal with it!

So...... Who's on first? I don't know and I don't care!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I have been here for over four years, and I still can't use this View Who's Online link
    It's funny, I had that ability for the longest time. As soon as I had enough posts and made it into the I.C., I lost it. I gained a privilege and lost one at the same time, lol.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I am new and up till now i think i aint posted a link on this site. Hopefully lol.

Unfortunately there are a lot of noobs that just don't want to take the time to read the rules before posting and just assume that it's OK to post a sig. I remember one noob also saying that an SEO book that they read suggested that they should join as many forums as possible to drop their links. I guess that's considered acceptable behavior on a lot of forums.

What gets me are the number of new posters that actually get an attitude when told what the rules are and that they can't post a sig. Like for some reason they should be exempt from the rules. I think if we ever searched for all of those users we'd find that they made 4 or 5 posts and never came back. Funny, they came for the link and missed the real value.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I have been a member here over a year now but i read mostly to learn hence small post count and most are silly questions i need help with which have been answered superbly.

But i see where your coming from rules are rules no matter where you go.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Like for some reason they should be exempt from the rules.
    Isn't this todays interpretation of the Constitution??
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    Isn't this todays interpretation of the Constitution??
    And of the laws of civilization.

The world owes them a living and it all about - me.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

And we need to stop hiding that Magic Bullet from them ...

You have no idea how many requests I get for early PM rights from obvious spammers.

There has been only one person (who was an obvious opportunist) that has passed the test for sig rights. But, after he finally accumulated the required 250 posts, he fell off the face of the earth LOL.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Staril
    And we need to stop hiding that Magic Bullet from them ...
    Aha! I KNEW a Magic Bullet existed!

Seriously, though, I'm trying to figure out why anyone would want to put their sites in their signature (except merchants, AMs and OPMs, of course).

(Yes, I am an oldtimer with a low post count perhaps permanently delurking ...)

Even though I can, I'll never post a link. I wouldn't want to be associated with the stupid things I say and do most of the time.

Oh......so 250 is the magic number? Never knew, never really cared. I figured it would happen when it happens. Too bad there isn't a way to qualify based on how many threads you have actually READ versus how many times you have actually played the "cancel" game or welcomed another newbie into ABW (to get your post count higher).

Being sort of socially SHY I sort of like to "watch". Its actually HARD for a nebie to add value if they take the time to SEARCH before posting as it seems like EVERYTHING has already been discussed in one shape or form.

At the rate I am going I figure by 2012 I might be able to PM one of you guys!

Happy posting!

No complaints here. I'm new, but I'm here to gather all the information I can from the folks who have "been there, done that" in affiliate marketing. I haven't even tried to add a sig or PM anyone and this forum has helped me a great deal. There is a lot of great information here and it's all free, you just have to look for it.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    mmm... 250 posts for signature rights... I only wish I knew what I could add to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Even though I can, I'll never post a link. I wouldn't want to be associated with the stupid things I say and do most of the time.
    You too, huh?
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Well, see... I don't put any fault on the newbs for asking... not really. As much as I think that it would be ideal for everyone to read all the rules before posting, it's not realistic. I'm willing to bet that every single person (who has been online for as long as most of us have) has started posting in a forum without reading the rules before. Maybe not all the time, maybe not even most of the time, but I'll bet it's happened

I'm also willing to bet that the number of forums that limit PM and sig rights are a tiny fraction of a percent of the number of forums out there. It's not common. When people join, they expect to be able to set their options immediately. Now, I'm not saying ABW is doing anything wrong, far from it. I think limiting those rights is the smart thing to do here. I just don't think getting angry at the newbs is... well, it's not exactly charitable.

Personally, I don't really care much about my sig rights. It's not like I'm going to be linking to my sites. I wouldn't mind being able to include my name so people would get to know me as Daniel instead of HecticDMC (it took Loxly a looong time to start calling me Daniel, even in person and on the phone ), but that's about as far as it goes... maybe I'll throw in a random song lyric or something. Still - sigs here aren't necessarily like sigs at other places, there you want to advertise yourself... but newbs don't realize that.

If a newb comes in and starts off on the right foot, but asks about sig abilities, I don't think they should get reamed. On the other hand, those that come in and ***** about it... they deserve a bit of attitude right back - people need to be taught a bit of netiquette sometimes. Those that are obvious spammers... they deserve a boot to the head

I don't really have anything to say about this...but just thought I'd post so as to add to my total number of posts...thereby getting closer to the number of posts needed to receive PMs from all the people....er, that's right - I don't really know anyone here yet...

let's see, this makes post number 5 or so and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Ahhhhh-Haaaaa...that must why I have a link to one of my "stupid things" domains - to get that out of the way right up front.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread