Deactivated for "no leads" after just 6 weeks
    I received an email from a ShareASale merchant today, which read (in its entirety):

> "This message is to inform you that you have been removed from the affiliate program of the merchant: YouSendIt // The reason given was: no leads" <

This merchant launched their ShareASale program just six weeks ago on October 30, 2007. That's not nearly enough time to get anywhere near the top of my project queue (merchants don't get added to my project queue at all until I'm approved as an affiliate).

I can only wonder what this merchant's expectations are for their affiliate program.

Added: I notice that this merchant is already listed on the ShareASale PowerRank 100, so apparently some other affiliates have acted quickly to send leads.
    Last edited by markwelch; December 14th, 2007 at 05:46 PM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Added: I notice that this merchant is already listed on the ShareASale PowerRank 100, so apparently some other affiliates have acted quickly to send leads.
    That's awfully fast for a program to get enough leads to appear in any "top 100" list. I wonder if they actually already had a base of affiliates who simply changed their links upon the program's opening at SAS, perhaps from a program the merchant had elsewhere (or an inhouse program).

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    LOLOL Mark

Either hire someone to pick your merchants for you

or start flipping a coin - it HAS to be better odds then your current approach

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I see their 30 Day Reversal Rate = 55.53%.

Kind of high if they're not selling shoes.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I see their 30 Day Reversal Rate = 55.53%
    Yikes! Good catch!

It is a $2-per-lead program, so a high reversal rate (at six weeks) should not not be terribly unexpected. (Yow, am I really defending these bozos?)

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    It is a $2-per-lead program, so a high reversal rate (at six weeks) should not not be terribly unexpected.
    Why do you say this?

ABW Ambassador
    My experience with affiliate programs is that the people who flood a site with leads in the first weeks of an affiliate relation are the ones you really need to worry about, and that the real quality leads are generally from affiliates who build traffic over the long haul.

My guess is that this merchant won't be around for too long; so they probably did you a favor dumping you.

ABW Ambassador
    I can only wonder what this merchant's expectations are for their affiliate program.
    Another clueless merchant.

I've always considered the merchants who have been patient with my slow increasing sales/traffic as my long-term partners. Even though sometimes I almost feel guilty to only send them a hand full of sales over the years.

Merchants should realize that most affiliate businesses are one-man/women show. Our(At lease mine) long to-do list never ends. I tried not to bite off more than I can chew, but sometimes priority changes and the original plan get to be postponed.

My suggestion to merchants: Review carefully upon approval of affiliates' applications. Once approve the application, be patient !

...so apparently some other affiliates have acted quickly to send leads.
    Yes, they're bidding on yousendit.com with ads looking like official yousendit.com ads. The merchant has no policy against it, so not crying foul, but it sure does give a warped set of early numbers for a new program.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I see their 30 Day Reversal Rate = 55.53%.
    This is due to their FREE trial

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    Another clueless merchant...
    Sure seems that way. And if the reversal rate is so high because of free trials, evidently their service isn't so great either.

Sayonara, You Send It.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Outsourced Program Manager
    i found that when some affiliates first sign up they hit the PPC fast and hard in hopes of picking up sales by bidding on the name of the merchant (regardless if it is or isn't allowed) This makes the merchants epc way out of wack and affects future "quailty" affiliates from signing up because they see a low epc, as many affiliates judge a new program by its epc ( which is wrong)

After i had a few of these and told them to check their ppc words their clicks went wya down and after 2 months they stoped sending in clicks at all.

I hate these affiliates but there is no way to tell when they first sign up.

Figure they did ya a favor by dropping you and you can devote your time to thse merchants that will be around

Just my $.05 worth
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

It's common for merchants to want sales/leads to pick up quickly often ask how many sales can they expect in 30, 60, 90 days.

I understand why they get anxious and it's often a challenge to educate them and convince them they need patience as we build relationships.

What I still don't understand is why a merchant removes someone for no sales. What do they gain? They don't benefit and only remove one more possible source of sales.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I think it stems partly from an industrial-era sales mindset where "nonperformers" are dropped. Since there is no cost to keep an affiliate on board, it makes zero sense to drop someone who could have turned out to be a producing affiliate.

This happened recently to me from a merchant (non SAS) I had been planning a site for. As we all know sometimes it can take some time to go from idea to implementation due to the nature of the industry. I had even informed the merchant that their program was in my queue of new merchants to promote and that I would be doing so as soon as time allowed. Needless to say that merchant will not be benefiting from this new site.

By not needlessly whittling down your affiliate roster, today's nonperformer could be a revenue generator tomorrow for your affiliate program.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread