Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I really wish the whole affiliate coupon industry would be transformed to the following.....

SeymourButts' Affiliate Coupon Logic:

I think we should get rid of coupon codes all together. These alpha-numeric nightmares are just too much trouble and have the ability to cause problems, like we have seen recently with coupon scraping. Instead, all merchant coupons should be hidden within an affiliate link that will ONLY register on the merchant's site when the request came from this affiliate's domain.

It would be more upfront work for the merchant, but this would eliminate those unethical affiliates from profiting from scraped coupons.

ABW Ambassador
    It's something I've always wanted. Where the coupon is a link. It's more work all the way around but it's better all the way around too, plus the conversions are higher. No scraping, customers don't have to write down, remember, copy and paste the code. The link would go to a landing page explaining the coupon and be automatically applied for them. Some old threads about that topic. The problem some people have brought up with that, is many merchants send out catalogs with codes to enter into a box. So I don't think it will ever be gone (coupon box) but I like coupon links over just the code, even if it's a little more work.

At the very least, it would certainly make the playing field more equal for the ethical affiliates to compete with the unethical ones.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    If we're going to have coupons at all, I prefer coupon codes.

Like snipping out a newpaper coupon, it makes consumers feel like the have a little tangible nugget of magic saving dust. Whenever I ask them they say they love codes, and they distrust that a link will work. It's very simple to see a code work, or not. If they are links and they've already began to check out, then there's a page refresh or cart update that has to happen, in addition, after clicking the activate link. There's some clumsiness as well, with implementation split between a shopper shopping and one who is checking out.

And the claims that making something a link (instead of a code) will solve scraping or any other unethical behavior are bunk. Whether you make a code or a link truly exclusive, you can solve scraping. Making it a link does not, by itself, do anything to change the scraping situation. Links can be scraped and aff ids can be swapped out... then you guys will say "then make them all custom links" and will prove my point. Uniqueness, not form, is the answer to scraping.

I will add that given today's landscape of adware popping, if I were a merchant, I'd never tie a discount coupon into a link, what domain name poachers and adware cookie setters do today is bad enough without the additional margin lost by making the link a coupon as well.

And if coupons were switched over this way, and links provide the savings, there'd be a new form a cheating that occured via BHO... they'd just set the link and display a window saying how much was "saved"... in the hands of today's prevalent adware cheaters, I hope you "link coupon" advocates and diminishing the value of the content on your current web pages... they must go get coupons details from a page now... make them all links and BHOs will have a field day with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    And the claims that making something a link (instead of a code) will solve scraping or any other unethical behavior are bunk.
    I see your adding to the bunk....Your completely right, getting rid of codes and embedding the code in the link that can only be used by that affiliates domain won't help coupon scraping at all. It's so clear to me now. Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    "Whenever I ask them they say they love codes, and they distrust that a link will work."

You've actually done a study on this? I'm interested in some results. How many people did you ask and their answers. I guess you mean that with a code, you can see it at checkout after they apply it. Which I can understand. But you can see the discount at checkout with a coupon link too and based on conversions (coupon links being higher) I don't see that as an issue at all.

"And the claims that making something a link (instead of a code) will solve scraping or any other unethical behavior are bunk"

Not solve it but it does cut it down. I have both exclusive coupons that are codes and links. I see my codes on other sites, never a link. Also for sites where they let users submit. Very easy to submit, 10% off Code - 10FF. They're not going to check the page source and submit some html (link codes)

"I will add that given today's landscape of adware popping, if I were a merchant, I'd never tie a discount coupon into a link, what domain name poachers and adware cookie setters do today is bad enough without the additional margin lost by making the link a coupon as well."

Not following that one either. BHO's target the domain. Either way, thru using a code and clinking a link to a merchant or thru a coupon link, customer ends up on the merchant site. The rest of it, can you go into more detail. I think it's very bad advice you telling merchants never to tie a coupon into a link, not following that one at all.

Also one of biggest benefits of coupon links over codes. It converts better, that's a fact. Plus the other benefits of customers not having to write down, remember or copy and paste the code. A landing page with that info works better. Also address situations where customers pop open another browser just to copy a code off a coupon sites. It's why there was that other thread where that coupon site made it so the merchant site opened when the shopper was in the process of copying the code. So coupon links help that out.
    Last edited by Trust; December 14th, 2007 at 07:02 PM.

if all codes are gone, and the stores remove the 'enter coupon' box then shoppers will not be reminded to search 'store code' and all those coupon affiliates capitalizing on the searches will lose out.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread