php script to check for browser
    Sorry if this may have been posted elsewhere, but after hours of looking through the forum and countless, fruitless searches, my eyes are ready to go on strike. I want to know if there is a php script that will make a page display correctly no matter what browser a person has. I use Netscape 8.1.3 when I make my pages and they look the way I want them to look. But, when I look at them with IE 6, they don't look quite right. I'm not even sure how they would look with an older version of IE or even Opera, or Firefox. Basically what I want is a script that will look at the persons browser and then get a copy of the page that will display the way I want it to look, no matter what browser they have. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by animatic1
    Sorry if this may have been posted elsewhere, but after hours of looking through the forum and countless, fruitless searches, my eyes are ready to go on strike. I want to know if there is a php script that will make a page display correctly no matter what browser a person has. I use Netscape 8.1.3 when I make my pages and they look the way I want them to look. But, when I look at them with IE 6, they don't look quite right. I'm not even sure how they would look with an older version of IE or even Opera, or Firefox. Basically what I want is a script that will look at the persons browser and then get a copy of the page that will display the way I want it to look, no matter what browser they have. Any takers?
    I just took a look at the site on your profile with IE 6, and I found that your default font is too big with my default set on medium, also with a 17" monitor at 800x600, there is a big gap to scroll to the right, at 1024x768 I also have to scroll about about to the right in order to read the entire page, only at 1152x864 would your page fit on my 17" monitor without any sideways scrolling.

If you want to know how your site may look on other browsers, just go here:
    http://browsershots.org/ and enter your site.

Note: if you go there during the next 20 minutes, you will see all the examples there already once you enter your site, because they all just load now. 9:40 am

Try here: http://techpatterns.com/downloads/ph..._detection.php , They have a couple of free scripts that appear to do what you want. Also found several on Google with this search: "php browser script" .

Hope this helps.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Try here: http://techpatterns.com/downloads/ph..._detection.php , They have a couple of free scripts that appear to do what you want. Also found several on Google with this search: "php browser script" .

Hope this helps.

-rematt
    Thanx, I'll check it out.

Mr Sal
    My resolution is at 1024x768 and IE 6 does that to me too. That and the menu bars at the upper left have spaces between them, that are not there on Netscape 8.1.3. Those extra spaces make the left hand column longer than I want it.
    Last edited by animatic1; December 15th, 2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    If you want to know how your site may look on other browsers, just go here:
    http://browsershots.org/ and enter your site.
    Mr. Sal - Thank you so much for posting that website! I have been looking for something like that for a while.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread