View Poll Results: What Screen Resolution you use?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • 640 x 480

0 0%
  • 800 x 600

14 27.45%
  • 1024 x 768

19 37.25%
  • 1280 x 960

7 13.73%
  • higher

11 21.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I want to get a LCD monitor but I don't know if I should go for a 15" or 17". Any suggestions?

15" LCD native resoultion is 1024 x 768 while 17" is 1280 x 960! I am currently only using 800 x 600.

The good thing about only having 800x600 resolution is that you won't accidentally design pages that don't fit on an 800x600 display!

I think that the dot pitch is actually smaller on 17" flat panels.. I don't find them so easy to read as a 15".

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Redfish, I got an LG 18.1" flat panel display recently, it's very good, don't know about prices in the US or how it compares in 17" though

[This message was edited by spacewar on April 26, 2003 at 12:57 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    We have an 18 inch LCD, it is the best monitor I have ever used.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I have a 19.1" LCD in the centre, running 1280 x 1024 that I run mainly Netscape 7.02 and tabbed windows.

To the left is another 19.1" LCD, running 1280 x 1024 mainly for email, ICQ, AIM, server monitor and ssh sessions.

To the right is a 21" SGI CRT running 1600 x 1200 mainly with ssh sessions, open folders, and occassionally my CJ account in Netscape(maximised to full screen, with tabbed windows again).

Whatever you do, don't buy an analog LCD screen. Get the 19.1 " NeoView from TigerDirect. IT ROCKS and is a great price. Has a TV Tuner and remote as well :^)

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

I like all these comments, keep them coming. Better if you can provide me with details such as models and prices.

My monitor's an LG L1810B 18.1", it has digital and analog inputs. I bought it in the UK from Evesham.com, you can get it in the US for $625 at Buy.com

With such a high resolution monitor, what graphic cards do you use?!

I think I need to get the LCD along with a new display card.

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunately my new 20.1" LCD maxes out at 1600x1200 so I'm stuck at that res. I used to run 2048xwhatever on a 21" CRT, but, I think it pretty much ruined my eyes. Waiting for 24" widescreen LCD's to fall under $1k ... really need more width to get more browsers side by side.

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ...

Oh dear, I'm still waiting for my first affiliate sale...
    in the meantime, I'm quite happy with my 15" LCD.

At the moment I don't think it's worth paying an extra £100 for another couple of inches...

But it's definitely worth going for an LCD rather than CRT.

"A fool doth think himself wise,
    But a wise man knows himself a fool"

William Shakespeare

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>With such a high resolution monitor, what graphic cards do you use?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

got a 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9700 Pro card in my pc.
    problem is, it's not working quite right.. some red dots and lines appearing and sometimes doesn't start up... aarrghh.. supposed to get repaired this week.

I am actually still using my 15" CRT where I bought in 1999 with my old PII.

I'm on 1024 x 768 (15" TFT) with my notebook, but I never forgot the 800 x 600 usability issue that Moomiester said so I always design sites based on that resolution (width="770"). But, what to do when most users have a http://www.hammacher.com/publish/10244.asp LOL

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    My notebook is 1024x768 (14" LCD), while my docking station is hooked up to a 17" LCD (Dell 1702FP, 1280x1024). I lust after a 20" LCD, but will live with this 17" for quite awhile.

I also design for 800x600, making my maximum width 760--just to be on the safe side.

Michael

I'm 1280x1024 on a 21" CRT that I got on sale at TD. I had been working with a 15" CRT for the last three years. I love the extra real estate. I bought the CRT simply because it was the least expensive.

When designing for the web, I never exceed 750 pixels wide. That's pretty easily accomplished with Dreamweaver, just make sure to use your rulers

I really like the machine Haiko has a link to, and only $20k ! You could always drop down to a 41" plasma display for around $10K

Fred

The Unspeakable Law:As soon as you mention something; If it is good, it goes away. If it is bad, it happens.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I finally changed from a 15" CRT to a 17" flat panel a few months ago. This is a MAG Innovision LCD monitor and I got it at Best Buy (in the store--I wanted to see those floor models in action since how they *look* is the important part). $499 with $100 cash back.

First thing I did was change the resolution to 800x600 so I could see it without eyestrain!!! At that size the type is just a bit smaller-looking than the 15" CRT at 480xWhatever. Other than that, it's fine although the brightness is a bit more than I prefer even though I've got it turned down all the way. It's still twice as bright as the CRT, which can get hard on the eyes over time when looking at white screens or bright games.

The nicest things about this screen are that it doesn't reflect nearly as much glare when the sun hits it, and that I don't have to side-scroll on every blasted site like I used to! Oh, and it doesn't static-attract dust and smoke to itself like a CRT does, so it stays clean a lot longer.

Nice video card now too, great for games, an NVIDIA GeForce Ti4200. No graphical glitches in my games with *that* card! It's like playing a new game in some cases.

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~T.G. Sheppard. NOT Frank Sinatra!

ABW Ambassador
    Actually at 1024x768 on this notebook and I *hate* it. Can only fit one browser on screen. Such a pain to work. Those 17" powerbooks are looking attractive...

I also find that 800 width is not really enough to really use most sites these days. Sure, most work at 800, but, seem better with at least about 1000 wide. I usually have ABW around that wide, and the affil network sites, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>With such a high resolution monitor, what graphic cards do you use?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was using some old geforce3 (VGA) based card for the longest time then got a geforce4 MX (slow pos! and still only analog VGA output) card with the newest PC.. I really really needed DVI to drive the LCD, and since I don't play many games I opted for a cheap geforce4/ ti4200 based card..(pny, 1 vga, 1 DVI out..maybe svideo too) Some kind of pricing weirdness at bestbuy.com, but only if ordered from the in store kiosk (no affiliate commission ), made it about $75 recently. Unfortunately I ended up with the 64M version, many lucky people got the new 128M version (not that old slower-than-the-64M 128 one) in the 64m box. Oh well. The 64 is good enough for me, like I said don't play many games, especially not the new ones which really require good hardware.

I can't believe the low resolutions you guys run on 21" CRT/20" viewable (1280x1024) and 17" viewable (800x600).. wow, those letters must be HUGE!

Just my opinion, but, I really can't stress enough how much I feel its important to get the best you can in this area. Assuming you do this full time, are making some money anyway, and possibly sit in front of the computer for many, many hours at a time. Only one pair of eyes, to strain them any more than necessary looking at a fuzzy old CRT, etc, doesn't make sense. Also, I find that if I can have my SSH windows, Site Administration windows, and CJ or LS link generation windows, etc, all open at once I can work more efficiently, rather than playing the find-the-window-via-alt-tab game. The cost of the extra screen real estate, theoretically pays for itself with the increased productivity (at least thats how I justify purchasing new stuff ). Also, its a nice tax writeoff. Again, just my opinion from my point of view.

Also how I feel about work area (desk), chair, bed, etc..

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I can't believe the low resolutions you guys run on 21" CRT/20" viewable (1280x1024) and 17" viewable (800x600).. wow, those letters must be HUGE!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, for an example I'd say the small letter "e" is about 1mm high on this screen...SMALL enough! Either you have great eyes or you've got your head right up to the screen, I'd think, if you think that's "huge!"

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~T.G. Sheppard. NOT Frank Sinatra!

Running 800 x 600 in a 17" LCD?

What I know about LCD is a thin called natice resolution which make me quite worried with games. LCD looks very nice in their natice resolution but look a bit fuzzy in lowe resolution because LCD are designed with the 'fix' location 'pixel' all around the panel.

Since games I played seldom run until 1280 x ??? so if I am force to use that, I don't think the graphic is cool enough!

Most desktops sold today come with 800 x 600 set as the default. Statistics show that roughly 48% of users work with 800 x 600 and about the same with 1024 x 768.

So, its very important to design for 800 x 600. Using a fixed pixel width 740 will work, and some swear that 760 always works.

More often than not, I'll use a fluid layout that fills the screen in both resolutions.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

I never go for 760 or 740. I go for 779 with top and side margin set to 0.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I've got 2 systems I use. One with a 17" .25 dot pitch HP version of a Sony CRT monitor and the other with a Dell 19" .26 Dot pitch factory refurbished CRT. I find the CRT's are better for getting True color rendition during making web graphics as the LCD's tend to wash out the colors. One has a Matrix 400G 32MB vga card and the other a 64MB ATI graphics card.

Key to happy surfing and local computer work is to set the screen resolution to 800x600 in the highest true color mode. Get a great feeling keyboard and a mouse like the Logitech "marble" tracjball. Any site that gets scroll bars at 800x600 or above was done by a novice webmaster as all tables should be set as a percentage ...not fixed pixel lengths. Some times I have problems when using table borders made with picture frame type images...
    http://www.suspenders.com/du_designer.htm
    where percentages are out of the question.

Key to happy

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Interested in getting a 19" Samsung LCD (191T/Silver). A shop told me if I want to buy it, I need to wait 4-6 weeks to get the product because there are no stock - product usually people won't buy, won't even ask because it is too costly.

Sometimes even if you have $, you are not God.

ABW Ambassador
    I hear the samsungs are great.. just picked up an 18" samsung ..(under $400, dell branded, I think..*hope* it is a samsung underneath - actually I got it in the deal for $550 included with some low end dell 2.0 gig celeron box).

I think you'll enjoy it.

Unfortunately my 20" isn't samsung...and the 18 I havent seen yet.. so no personal experience..
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What I know about LCD is a thin called natice resolution which make me quite worried with games. LCD looks very nice in their natice resolution but look a bit fuzzy in lowe resolution because LCD are designed with the 'fix' location 'pixel' all around the panel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True.. LCD's look great at their native resolution. They don't look as great at non native resolutions.

I have a friend who got bit in the ass by this, he got one of those notebooks with the super hi res screen (I believe its higher than 1600x1200, 1720xsomething maybe, on a little 15"!) ... When he downgrades to something more reasonable like 1280x1024 or 1024x768 it doesn't look so great. I opted for the crappier 1024x768 screen on mine for now, I knew I wouldn't be able to run the native res, though I probably would like to run 1280x1024...hopefully next notebook will have 17" screen

[This message was edited by Joseph Monuit on April 28, 2003 at 04:40 AM.]

LCDs at non-native resolutions are terribly because of the blurring.

The big thing that works for me with a CRT is that it works well at all resultions. Except even a 17" CRT is huge and I'd like some desk back.

My dilemma is this.. I really could use a bigger monitor that my old 15" CRT, but I probably want to replace the whole PC towards the end of the year when Micro$oft drop support for Windows 98. If I buy an LCD now then I'm probably looking at just replacing the base only. Hmmm.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast