Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    NOW We're In For It!
    The Micherator roars to life!

A mega blizzard is expected, and the nasty white stuff has already started falling. Total accumulation predictions of 8-12 inches are being reported by the various local stations and Weather.com.

Evil Winter Teams Up with Florida Housing Industry in Plot to Motivate Leader

It's also about 20 degrees out there, with a freaking windchill of TEN!! Brings a whole new meaning to the term "20 degrees, F!"

If I disappear for a few days, it's just Comcast being its typical self...ie, "Precipitation?"
    *internet and cable TV dies*
    "Someday our guys really should get around to waterproofing those cables..."
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

they told us we would get at least 5 inches today, nope we got 2 - maybe you will only get 5 - 8......like anything more than 5 makes a difference...it's all downhill from there....

It's a nice 65º outside right now.

Although a cold front is coming through, so we'll see 50's H / 40's L for the next few days.

Then we'll be back in the 70's for highs by Christmas.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I only have to worry about earthquakes. It probably won't get cold again here until January.

Got about 3" - 4" of snow today, not so bad, but then it turned to sleet / freezing rain. that's when it sucks. Warmed up a bit and rained, so now we've got wet roads and temps going down to the low 20's... icy roads with another inch or so of snow expected overnight. Going to be a great morning to drive in Dayton tomorrow.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Brrrrrrrrrrrrr u guys hope you all stay warm and that your Internet connection remains secure.

Sending sunshine and warm vibes from sunny Los Angeles.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I LOVE THE SNOW!!!

Just came in from a game of touch football in the snow. I'm soaking wet, tired and sore (I'm gettin' too old for this stuff). We've gotten about 4" so far here in Chicago and it's still coming down, it's great. I used to hate this when I had to drive 30 miles to work.

Gotta go, time for a nice hot shower and back rub.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

It's just cold and wet here. We haven't seen any real snow for ten or more years. We did have a major ice storm about 9 years ago, though.

We had TS Olga last week for a post season mini hurricane but now it's back to 70's - 80s, brisk breezes. Wouldn't go back to that cold 5hit for anything.

ABW Ambassador
    Leader go outside and make some snow angels in the snow, take pics Grab a sled, find a hill, go for it. What I liked to do when there was a lot of kids with sleds and a big hill. We would have a little war on the way down, try to knock each other off and crash into each other, see who could make it down.

So far only a couple of inches of snow have materialized, but they figure it's going to keep on doing it until Sun. afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Leader go outside and make some snow angels in the snow, take pics Grab a sled, find a hill, go for it. What I liked to do when there was a lot of kids with sleds and a big hill. We would have a little war on the way down, try to knock each other off and crash into each other, see who could make it down.
    *Stares*
    Go OUT in it?? Uh...no thanks. The value of sn*w became 0 the day I graduated from school and sn*w no longer meant days off...
    */staring*

On another note--the weather just got really freaky, it just started doing lightning and thunder!! I hope it doesn't try to rain and turn into a mega ice storm and/or hail instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    On another note--the weather just got really freaky, it just started doing lightning and thunder!! I hope it doesn't try to rain and turn into a mega ice storm and/or hail instead...
    I saw lightning and heard thunder in a blizzard in Germany when I was stationed there in 1980.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    A mega blizzard is expected
    Good for you Leader! hehe

--

As far as thunder/lightning while it's snowing.. it's fairly common at high elevation in the Wasatch. I've actually seen the flash of lightning through the white out while on a chair lift. Yikes! Although it's not as dangerous as you would think being on that chair. I'd rather be on the chair then next to one of the lift towers when lightning is near. Needless to say though, they do shut down the chair lifts until the lightning stops...

FORTUNATELY there's only a couple inches so far. And, it quit thundering like July (very weird to have that kind of thing happen in MI as you could guess). What's happening now isn't a blizzard, but a steady fall of fine flakes. I've seen that kind of snowfall add up to enough to shut the schools, so I may well wake up to another 10 inches of it...

For all the sn*w-lovers who replied, when I find a way to ship this stuff, you can have it
    Needless to say though, they do shut down the chair lifts until the lightning stops...
    I hope they let you down from the chair first!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    According to the weather service we're in a narrow band between the folks-to-the-north who will get a foot of snow and the folks-to-the-south who will get only rain. Our total snow accumulation should be only one to three inches. Well that's okay, we already have eight inches on the ground from a storm a few days ago.

Yep, I've seen lightning during a blizzard, but only once. It turned the night sky pinkish. Very pretty, very weird.

http and a telephoto
    Yup, thunder and lightning during a snow storm *is* freaky, but I've seen it a lot. Must be an Upstate NY thing (upstate being anything north of NYC, lol)

(Love being where when you tell people you are from Rochester and they ask what stop on the subway it is... I tell them "go to Penn Station and get on an Amtrak for 6 hours").
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Very windy here and everything is covered with a thin coat of ice. The trees are so beautiful with little icicles hanging from the branches. Unfortunately, a few of the smaller trees fell over from the weight.

It seems to be over now.

The weather forecast seems to have overstated the storm by about 2x. It looks like about 5-6" of junk actually landed in my local area. Not that I went OUT in it to measure--I'm eyeing it up from inside, of course!
    And, fortunately, so far the cable and the electricity are still on.

*blasts furnace AND heater*
    *Puts up Jan and Feb-selling stuff I'd been stalling on*
    Very windy here and everything is covered with a thin coat of ice. The trees are so beautiful with little icicles hanging from the branches. Unfortunately, a few of the smaller trees fell over from the weight.
    Ice-coated trees etc. really are beautiful. It's too bad that the beauty is often interfered with by snapped branches and the like.
    Last edited by Leader; December 16th, 2007 at 04:51 PM.

Here along the front range of the Rockies, winter thunderstorms are fairly common and usually include heavy snowfall. It's just the same dynamic that produces our summer storms only....colder

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Skied all weekend and my knees are barking. Can't wait for more snow, of course ours if light and fluffy so it never makes the road impassable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Skied all weekend and my knees are barking. Can't wait for more snow, of course ours if light and fluffy so it never makes the road impassable.
    Sounds like you're talking about biscuits, not snow. Gee, now I'm hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    You can have it.

As for me, *I* spent most of the weekend continuing my conquest of the world while in a warm velour robe, with the heater & furnace blasting nicely onto my back and legs.

@ SAHover and Loxly--thunder and lightning w/snow is pretty rare around here. My mother said they even mentioned it on the news! I have heard it thunder during snowstorms before, but not with a full complement of lightning.

I like lightning and thunder, I just didn't expect it with snow! I'm glad to know that this is actually normal in some places.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread