Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Help me choose an LCD monitor
    Well I won some money in this contest http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=52 (thank you, Haiko!) and decided it was time to buy a flat-screen LCD monitor for my PC. I don't know a blessed thing about the technology so I thought maybe some of you could help me choose a good one. I need something with really good color resolution because I do a lot of graphics work.

I have $200 to spend and a size limit of about 18" wide and high (including stand). Any suggestions? Anything I should stay away from?

Danke dollinks!

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    At 18 inches max, your talking about a 20inch monitor here? My 19inch is 16in wide X 17in tall including stand.

Ooh, see, I didn't even know they were measured the same way TVs are.

Thanks, Seymour.

I need help!

ABW Ambassador
    I got this one that came with my computer bundle - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-5123

20 in. widescreen. I didn't think I would like a widescreen because I was always using the regular ones but now I love it and will be getting those in the future. And Dell actually makes good monitors. I asked this a little bit ago and lots of people had good things to say about Samsung and they usually get real good reviews. So my future monitor will either be another Dell or Samsung and the stands don't really take up any space. It just lifts my monitor up about 3 inches off my desk and I only see the bottom feet. You can see that in the pictures in the link above.

Thanks, Trust. I'm going to check out Samsung. We have a Samsung HDTV and the picture is amazing. That's probably the way to go. I'm not so sure about a widescreen though. Something to think about.

ABW Ambassador
    "I'm not so sure about a widescreen though. Something to think about."

I wasn't either, my brother talked me into it (after long discussions) and I noticed they're making them more and more that way nowadays. I wasn't even sure about an LCD because the only ones I've had before were regular CRTs and I wanted the best picture quality. But I'm glad I got the widescreen. Maybe others can chime in with the widescreen vs. the regular square kind for those that have used both.

If you're doing graphics work and are picky about color accuracy, then most of the cheap LCDs will not be suitable for you. Look for one that has 8-bit color depth (an "S-IPS" panel), instead of the 6-bit ("TN" panel) that you'll find most often.

I haven't looked around on US sites for what might fit your needs and your budget, but maybe someone else will know of an 8-bit panel under $200.

BTW, what are you using right now?

edit: This is a good summary of the different panel types, and a list of some monitors with the type on panel they have (that list hasn't been updated for a while, though):
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1039222

You might want to wait until the holidays are over. I have been watching the prices for a few different computer items lately. I've noticed at the places I've been checking most of the "good deals" have scrolled off, probably as holiday presents.

Take your time and do a little reading. Your monitor is the most important part of the computer since you stare at it all the time. Certain features make them easier on the eyes. Adding a few dollars to your budgeted amount could make a big difference, don't restrict your choice by price alone.

I'm running 2 19" widescreen BenQs. I love the amount of desktop side to side but was a little disappointed that I lost some vertical size. These are my first widescreens and, foolishly, I assumed the height would stay the same and I would gain more width.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    I'm running 22" LCD widescreen for a few months (upgrade from 19" LCD regular). It has been a pleasant to have a wide screen and being able to do multiple window in view as needed

I went from two 20" CRTs at 1600x1200 to two 22" LCDs at 1680x1050...and I'm actually switching back to the CRTs now. I personally don't like the widescreen format, and the LCD monitors I have now are not so great if I put them on a pivoting stand/arm and rotate them 90 degrees.

Okay, I promise I will:

- research the technology,
    - wait until after the holidays to make a purchase,
    - consider a widescreen (I like the idea of having multiple windows open without messing up the main window),
    - measure twice, cut once (it has to fit in the available space in my computer armoire),
    - not get hung up on price

Thank you all! This has been very educational.

and buy through your own 'cookie' so you will get 3%+ off the sale price

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread