Restrictive Target Terms
    Target updated terms:

must not engineer your site in such a manner that pulls Internet traffic away from Target.com via natural search optimization. Techniques include:

* Utilizing "target" in any of the fields listed page title, URL, meta keyword/description.

* More than 3 occurrences of the word "target" in the body of the copy per page.

Restrictive enough?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    what's their opinion on target="_blank"?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Doesn't this put just about every affiliate website in violation of their terms and conditions? If you list more than three offers for Target on your page, and have them identified (with text) as being from Target, then you've just violated the T&Cs.

For example, if an affiliate happened to use all of the text links provided by Target over the past few weeks (which were of the form: Free shipping on blah at Target.com ...), they would now be violating the T&Cs, since they would have more than 3 mentions of Target in the body of their page. If you look at just about any coupon or deals site, you'll see that they'll all technically be in violation. Granted, I don't expect that they'll get booted, but it's probably not a good thing having most of your affiliates being in violation of your T&Cs, since it's a slippery slope.

I understand the motivation, but I'm not sure that this is the best way to go about it.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    * More than 3 occurrences of the word "target" in the body of the copy per page.

This one is just insane. My target page lists the word "target" 6 times. It's hard to market Target without using the word "target". How can they police such a thing especially if one uses verb "target" and not the noun "target".

So I can't list more than 3 Target deals per page. What a great user experience. Displaying Results 1-3 click next to view 4-6.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    what's their opinion on target="_blank"?

I think this thread would violate their terms if it was an affilaite site.

So all those review sites would get dropped, any forum software would (because they put the thread titles in the page title tag).... something is just way too wrong. I can't think of anyone being able to successfully promote them. Even price comparison engines couldn't show results, because they usually have the store written a few times on each result.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I removed all their pages yesterday and left them with one simple text link - their loss

Partnering with the clueless is a waste of my time - and as Snib pointed out, a disservice to my visitors

PPC guidelines are one thing, trying to control natural search results is ludicrous.

Click here to Buy From Anonymous Retailer

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

When I read the new terms I just shrugged my shoulders and said, "whatever". Target seems to be really going to the dogs...
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Nobodys complained about being dropped yet, so maybe its just something they're putting in there as an excuse to get rid of some affiliates that they just don't like and don't want to fight.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff
    ...to the dogs...
    Excuse us? to the dogs?

Target has totally ignored every plea for BYOL, decent working data feed, etc., and now imposes this adsurd restriction, and you liken them to us noble creatures?

Maybe
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I sure hate to see Target move in this anti-affiliate direction because we do a ton of business with them.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

I shall henceforth refer to them by the phonetically spelled French pronunciation... Tar-zhay... or Tar-jay if you prefer. Wish me luck in attracting any customers...
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Awesome Meadow. Just awesome.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Guys this is all my fault - I was turned down by target and it p/o'd me so I dropped 2500 high quality pages on to the internet focusing on my local target neighborhood store. I am guessing that they are not ranking anymore (actually they are probaly shaking their heads trying to figure it out)

Since I am not an affiliate I am driving traffic to their compettion they are mad. So be it.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Oh, I thought it was me.... I've been promoting the hell out of the phrase "archery target". I guess I got a little aggressive with my link buying.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I just got an email from them. They're removing the restriction of 3 occurrences of the brand name "Target" from the body of a web page. Yay!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

Noooooooooooooo meadow!

They're just doing damage control

It's a sign of their corporate thinking and how they feel about their partners

Aren't they still controlling your meta tags... your page title, etc?

They'll never get more then a token text link again

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Noooooooooooooo meadow!

They're just doing damage control

It's a sign of their corporate thinking and how they feel about their partners

Aren't they still controlling your meta tags... your page title, etc?

They'll never get more then a token text link again
    That "yay!" was more of a "we made them blink" yay... Not an "I'm completely happy" yay. I should've elaborated. LOL.

I'm not sure I'm going to continue to promote them anyway. The only exception would be if they have one particular item I'm looking for that I can't find anywhere else. That rarely happens...

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    I just got an email from them. They're removing the restriction of 3 occurrences of the brand name "Target" from the body of a web page. Yay!
    Me, too. Too late!

BK is right about them doing "damage control" after all of the negative feedback. I've got plenty of other fish to fry to waste time with . (oops...wrong color...oh well, doesn't matter)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

all of the negative feedback
    i think their email called it "constructive feedback" - lol

toeMAYtoe... tahMAHtoh

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread